Best headphones for Rock music?
Feb 21, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #61 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes, should've added my budget was about $350

First, I'd recommend a b-stock HF2, just don't take one away from me. Also, I'd agree with the AD900, as posted by Melobius on post #9.

I'd agree that my AD900s aren't as good as my brother's SR125 with certain songs. I don't listen to them often ('cause he lives far away), but they are really great.

I'd say that I prefer the AD900, because it's really good all-round. It's not as good with -say- an In-frames track (metal), but it's really amazing with a Pink Floyd one. I'm also deleting all my 128 kb/s music, as it's really not good with the AD900s. If I recall correctly, the Grado was a little more forgiving on the bitrate.

I can't say I know much about the bands you listed. I'd get the AD900 were I you. In terms of comfort, they reign supreme (Of course my experiences are limited). They look good, are relatively sturdy, and they bring out the instruments on my music.

Still it's up to you. Many people choose Grado and are completely happy with it. A friend has an SR60 that he loves to death. He's completely stopped looking for headphones, because it's all he wants (at a great price).

I cannot comment on Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, or AKG (Quit making me jealous on the K1000s, I'll never be able to afford them!) as I've never had the opportunity to listen.

Finally, I read walls of text. Oftentimes it's wonderful to see people who care to type out thoughts in an understandable way. I like to read, and I have time to care about effort.
Have a good day, and happy head-fi'ing.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #62 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it very funny how you are trying so hard with whatever your argument is but you can't figure out how to combine posts instead of putting 2 back to back.

Yeah, it's a real gut buster. As with the bombshell that questions about "best headphone" are relative and subjective, your discovery of the flaw is something of a yawner. If that's your contribution to the discussion, I'm glad you found something to do. In every tennis match, it helps to have someone on hand who can collect loose balls

Quote:

Finally, I read walls of text. Oftentimes it's wonderful to see people who care to type out thoughts in an understandable way. I like to read, and I have time to care about effort.

Thanks, dorkvader. You rock! By the way, I liked your recommendations. You make me want to check out the AD900.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

To be just a bit more specific then my last.fm page, the bands I've been listening to a lot lately are The Mountain Goats (folky stuff), Joy Division (post punk), Godspeed You! Black Emperor (post rock), and Tom Waits (jazz/blues/I have no idea, it's just great.)

Judging by your taste in music, I also think that the AD900 would suite you well. The only thing you listed there that might not sound good with the AD900 is Joy Division, and I only say that cause I don't listen to them or their kind of music. The Mountain Goats (on his less low-fi albums) will sound especially fantastic. Good band.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, accessoryjack.com has a pretty good deal on the AD1000s right now, at 309USD. Not sure how they compare with the AD900, but it's in your price range. Might be worth a look too.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #66 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah so all your post after your initial suggestion on page 3 are what? Trolling or tooting your own horn? 'Happily picks up a loose ball'

Let's not hijack the thread with endless swipes at each other. The question is which headphones are the "best" for rock. Various answers have been put forward, including one complete denunciation of all answers. If you don't read walls of text, you probably missed the irony in advising the OP not to take advice. I got a chuckle or two out of that one, but that was before you came along, offered your own advice on "walls of text" and laughed at my sloppy posting skills - before calling me a troll.

I, too, am a Grado fan (the HF-2 is my favorite, followed by the RS1 and GS1k, followed by the SR60) but I haven't heard every brand, which is why I will probably check back here again to see what people are saying. Till then, I guess you'll have to collect somebody else's loose balls. Have fun.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #67 of 80
What the best headphone for rock is, is quite hard to answer as we all have different preferences on how we want our music to sound (insert "well, duh" here). Some might want their guitars upfront and aggressive whilst others might want a slightly more lush presentation.

I've owned the RS-1i and actually prefered it with acoustical stuff (which is represented by approx 2% of my listening habits - hence me selling them). I just thought they were too aggressive and upfront in the upper mids for rock/metal. Also, a little too lean in the bass department for my tastes. I am in no way a bass head, but for me, the RS-1i's were too sleak. The upper mid peak perhaps contributed to me feeling they were a bit bass light.

My favorite can so far, for basically all types of music, is the D7000.
And for portable use, the HD25-1 II pretty much reigns supreme.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #69 of 80
IMO I like my AKG K601 for most of metal better than my D7000...
They have totally different presentation but K601 is better in almost everything. K601 is not colored and bass heavy and for the first time the D7000 will be sounding better but after some time i found the K601 really better (in every genere).But they are hard to drive and dependent on quality source IMO.

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #70 of 80
Quote:

Yeah, that's great, and thanks for sharing your opinion, but not everyone has the kind of budget just buy headphones to try them out. I definitely don't. I'm just looking for a good pair of headphones to pick up. I didn't ask for an essay on subjectivity. I know all opinions are subjective. That's not something you have to explain to someone. It's especially patronizing and just plain pretentious when I asked for opinions in the first place.

So, make a recommendation or kindly get out.

Actually you do have the budget to try out many. Just buy used in the for sale forums here. Then sell it when you're done and buy a new one. I get new headphones every month and I get back over 90% of the cost I paid every time. If you are willing to wait for them to sell you can even make a profit.

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #71 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Within the [rock] genre, there's admittedly a fair degree of variety - so much so that some recordings sound a bit dark while others sound overwhelmingly bright. Recording methods and strategies have changed over the decades. Still, when you compare rock to certain other genres - such as classical, acoustic and jazz, there are obvious differences. Brighter headphones tend to compliment certain kinds of music, especially the acoustic stuff, bringing out fine details in a rewarding way. But where the music is already bright, even sibilant, a brighter presentation may be overkill.

I agree with this completely. 10yrs, ago, a Grado would have dominated my rock listening since back then I listened to the less heavy stuff. However, now that I've been listening to and liking some heavy metal and even thrash metal in the form of Metallica, I've discovered some really bright recordings. For example, Judas Priest's "Pain Killer", or Metallica's "And Justice for All". Yeah, I've not been discovering only new music.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't usually reach for my current Grado's for these brighter recordings. I go for my Ed8's.

In fact, I cut my Iron Maiden teeth on my HD650's!!! Never really listened to the band until about 18 months ago. I now have most of their albums and am an avid fan. I can't manage them with my 325is, but love them with my Ed8's.

So the mileage definitely varies and there's a compromise depending on what sort of rock predominates your listening experience. Even then some love the 'mind-blowing' scream of them guitars in their head. I like it toned down a bit.

Quote:

Yeah, it's a real gut buster. As with the bombshell that questions about "best headphone" are relative and subjective, your discovery of the flaw is something of a yawner. If that's your contribution to the discussion, I'm glad you found something to do. In every tennis match, it helps to have someone on hand who can collect loose balls

LOL!

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #72 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually you do have the budget to try out many. Just buy used in the for sale forums here. Then sell it when you're done and buy a new one. I get new headphones every month and I get back over 90% of the cost I paid every time. If you are willing to wait for them to sell you can even make a profit.

You are a wise, wise person. I like the way you roll. It's also refreshingly Buddhist, as you don't financially bog yourself down in collecting. There's no attachment, just the opportunity to keep having new experiences.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #73 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, replace budget with patience. I really don't want to have to sell one and buy a another pair of headphones every month. It's a really good idea, but just not something for me.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #74 of 80
Quote:

You are a wise, wise person. I like the way you roll. It's also refreshingly Buddhist, as you don't financially bog yourself down in collecting. There's no attachment, just the opportunity to keep having new experiences.

Refreshingly Buddhist?
confused_face_2.gif

Why is everyone turning the thread into a cluster XXXX ?

Just make your suggestion, and move on.

I think theres a headphone description post somewhere in this forum, i forget where.....but if you just read the sound discriptions,cost, open/closed, comfort, etc.....you can probably choose your own headphones better than watching everyone ping-pong their supposed logic off eachother.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #75 of 80
Quote:

I tend to shy away from one word responses, but I feel nothing else explains what I feel when i read this post:

wat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back