Best headphones for Rock music?
Feb 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #31 of 80
Really everyone likes a different presentation, but any Grados....although 225 and RS1 got the rep for rock, but dont discount the closed $150 M-Audio Q40 for rock too!!!!

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #32 of 80
Grado's are the best? AKG is no good for rock? _subjective generalisations. The problem with these types of thread is in the initial question-"What is the best for .........?" No offense to the OP, as it is a very common question. There is no best. It is all about different flavours, different preferences, different presentations and focus.
Is a banana a better fruit than an apple or an orange?

IMO it is naive and a massive generalisation to say that Grado is "Best for all rock" and model x, or even worse brand x isnt. Define best for starters. It is better to decribe the sound signature you seek and then get advice regarding headphones that fit that signature type. Grado is in your face, forward, lacks soundstage (both width and depth) focuses on the midrange and some do not like the high end (find it piercing apparantly).

Now a lot of rock music doesn't rely on soundstage but some does. Rock is a little "in your face" at times but as Acix quite rightly points out, accoustic and ballad rock types are more laid back. If you like forward in your face then Grado might be for you, however if you don't then look elsewhere. There is no one type of headphone that is "best" for any genre IMO, identify what you like (bassy, not bass centric etc) and then look for the fons that fit what you like, your preference. By all means take into consideration the genres you listen to most, but don't get caught like a dumb sheep (no offence to grazing animals) in the Grado only for rock brigade, or K701 only for classical or jazz or whatever. To the OP, Grado SR325i (I have only had MS2) or AD900 are both great fons and probably good choices, but they are very different from each other and you may like one and not the other. Think about what you seek before you purchase, and obviously if you can listen first there is no substitute to trusting your own ears.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #33 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, all. I've narrowed the choices down to the SR325is and the AD900 - both look pretty perfect for my music, I'll have to do a little research before I order anything.

The SR325is is like a baptism of fire, i.e., the most aggressive of the Grado line in forwardness. I do own a pair and appreciated them like I do some whiskey, but good luck anyway.
wink.gif
They're now Symphones Magnums and are a lot tamer for it. Much better now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #34 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see it as more people over exaggerate how bad the K701/2 is they even make up new terms for flaws.

Amen!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry for your AKGs flip.
tongue.gif
I'll make it simple for you, if you're listing to heavy metal or any other speedy electric guitars, so RS-1 will be the first choice. Now if you're in to acoustic/ or classic rock /jazz, the K701/2 will be my choice.

I agree completely with you in your recommendations here. Very good choices for my ears. May not be the best for my ears since I've not heard all the cans available, but I'd be happy to live with those choices and recommend them.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #35 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado's are the best? AKG is no good for rock? _subjective generalisations. The problem with these types of thread is in the initial question-"What is the best for .........?" No offense to the OP, as it is a very common question. There is no best. It is all about different flavours, different preferences, different presentations and focus.
Is a banana a better fruit than an apple or an orange?

IMO it is naive and a massive generalisation to say that Grado is "Best for all rock" and model x, or even worse brand x isnt. Define best for starters. It is better to decribe the sound signature you seek and then get advice regarding headphones that fit that signature type. Grado is in your face, forward, lacks soundstage (both width and depth) focuses on the midrange and some do not like the high end (find it piercing apparantly).

Now a lot of rock music doesn't rely on soundstage but some does. Rock is a little "in your face" at times but as Acix quite rightly points out, accoustic and ballad rock types are more laid back. If you like forward in your face then Grado might be for you, however if you don't then look elsewhere. There is no one type of headphone that is "best" for any genre IMO, identify what you like (bassy, not bass centric etc) and then look for the fons that fit what you like, your preference. By all means take into consideration the genres you listen to most, but don't get caught like a dumb sheep (no offence to grazing animals) in the Grado only for rock brigade, or K701 only for classical or jazz or whatever. To the OP, Grado SR325i (I have only had MS2) or AD900 are both great fons and probably good choices, but they are very different from each other and you may like one and not the other. Think about what you seek before you purchase, and obviously if you can listen first there is no substitute to trusting your own ears.

True. But I think when grado designs a headphone they have rock in mind. Whereas Sens are usually tuned for classical. That doesn't mean someone can't like Sens for rock and Grado for classical but this was not what they were designed for.

PS I like rock and hate the grado sound signature, but all my friends love it.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #36 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. But I think when grado designs a headphone they have rock in mind. Whereas Sens are usually tuned for classical.

On what basis do you make these claims?

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #37 of 80
The HiFiMan HE-5 is also an excellent rock phone. It is the best for rock of the phones that I have.

I wish I had the RS1 to compare it with for rock (I very nearly purchased the RS1i instead of the HE-5.). As to which is better, you're better off trying both and coming that preferential conclusion yourself.

Some other head-fiers seemed to prefer the HE-5 to the RS1 for rock, but I'm sure it swings both ways. I wish I could give you a better description of what one's got next to the other as far as their rock offerings go.

Maybe another dual-owner will be able to chime in here...

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #38 of 80
Sorry, missed your budget! I just read the thread title...

If you can find the RS1 or HF2 that would be enviable and I doubt either will disappoint for rock (but you never know!). I can't say much about other HPs, but I did have the SR225, and I thought they were great rock for rock for the 3 years that they were my primary HPs. Guitar definitely screams, and the bass, while not as deep as it an go, definitely whiplashes your ear in an exciting way. But for 350 and some searching for used, you could probably do better (or not... some people around here seem to really love the 225s).

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #39 of 80
K70x are surely isn't the best choice for rock because k70x are amazing when it comes to detailed music, what means heavy rock\metal (the most non-detailed genre one who has high trebel without much details) will sounds pretty bad with k701 . I'd say- any genre sounds good with K70x but hevay rock.
Look, It's not that k701 are the worst choice for heavy rock- it's still sounds better than a lot of phones Iv'e heard. But I would recommend for high-bass phones (in your face, like people said) for heavy rock\metal like HD650. also, people saying that Grado's are best for rock- you better try it out then.

Good luck.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #40 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K70x are surely isn't the best choice for rock because k70x are amazing when it comes to detailed music, what means heavy rock\metal (the most non-detailed genre one who has high trebel without much details) will sounds pretty bad with k701 . I'd say- any genre sounds good with K70x but hevay rock.
Look, It's not that k701 are the worst choice for heavy rock- it's still sounds better than a lot of phones Iv'e heard. But I would recommended for high-bass phones (in your face, like people said) for heavy rock\metal like HD650.

Good luck.

HD650 is way too laid back for heavy rock. I can understand it for mellow rock and acoustic, but for the most aggressive musical genres?

And every genre can benefit from detail. Rock can benefit greatly from detailed mids. Electric guitars are very textured instruments.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #41 of 80
^ I heard that HD650 are aggressive phones and I found that myself- what makes you think theyr'e laid back?

Heavy rock\metall genre has, specially, high guitars effect and less details. by laid back and detailed non-bass headphones it sounds really horrible.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #42 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by glrtrgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the Grado HF-2 cans rate in terms if listening to R & R?

The HF-2 is the best rock and roll headphone below the PS1k. While some have dubbed it the "baby PS1k" (because it's also a wood/aluminum hybrid), others have speculated that it's a GS1k without the wooden overcoat or jumbo pads. In fact, it's the only Grado I've had that sounds like a GS1k without the jumbos. It has amazingly thumping bass and an HF presentation that is wonderfully balanced yet refined.

The key difference between it and the RS1 is in the upper mids and lower treble. The RS1 has more of the upper mids while the GS1k recessed the mids. The HF2 has recessed mids, too, but much less than the GS1k and much closer to the RS1. For rock, this is spectacular because, while the Grados are tremendously detailed because of their lush mids, slightly recessed mids are gift when listening to rock and roll, with its already-ample high mids. I really like the warm presentation (thanks to the mahogany bass) but one whose aluminum overcoat cuts short before it gets too warm. That may just be a mind trick but what's not is the richness of the HF2's bass - without losing clarity and detail. For rock, this is the headphone to get.

If you can't find one at a reasonable price, just get an SR60i ($79), which has upgraded drivers and an upgrade cord, making it a tremendous bargain as well as a great Grado rocker at an amazing price. Those who find the all-aluminum 325i too bright, the SR225 gets a lot of buzz as the more natural and balanced headphone. The number of 225 fans looks like the population of China.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #43 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by glrtrgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the Grado HF-2 cans rate in terms if listening to R & R?

HF-2s are considered by some to be the best Grados out there for rock, others give that title to the RS1is, either way you're getting amazing rock headphones.

A closed headphone that's good for rock around that price range are the Denon D2000s. IMO Denon makes some of if not the best closed rock headphones out there. Depending on your tastes, the Lawton Audio mods can improve this even more or make them worse for rock. Personally I'm somewhere in the middle.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #45 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I think the AD900s are what I'm going to go for. The comments about the Grados are kind of intimidating, and I can get a great deal on them, so.

Thanks all.

AD900s aren't rock phones at all O_o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back