Best headphones for Rock music?
Feb 20, 2010 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Hipstergarabe

Head-Fier
I'm noticing most of the reviews of headphones here are written with classical or jazz in mind. While I do love a good Miles Davis or Copland album, I'd be lying out of my teeth if I said that was what I listened to the most. Mostly I listen to Rock/Alternative/"Indie" (even if I do hate that term). I'm in the market for a good home headphone, so I'm wondering what a good idea would be. I was thinking about a pair of Sennheiser 650s because I've had great experiences with Sennheisers, but it might be too laid back for my tastes. I really don't want anything too bassy (I hate headphones that drown the music in bass), I want something preferably neutral in it's frequency response.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 80
No idea about "best", but I do love how the AKG K1000 perform with rock music.
Accurate, controlled, neutral, detailed, ...

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 80
^2xed

Stray far from sennheiser if you like rock. Even the expensive sennheisers have a natural sound an the sound placement is very distant, meaning it doesnt sound close to you.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 80
Grado comes to mind.

But the closed Audio Technica A500/A700/A900 are great for rock and indie as well and to me they poses more all-round qualities than the Grado's mentioned, in that they are upfront and have a big soundstage at the same time.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 80
Within your budget i'd suggest you the AD900, they are far from bass heavy, but with an amp suitable for their low impedance they provide outstanding clarity in the mid-bass region, even better than the HD650s, comfort is top notch, best i've tried in that respect.

The HD650s are completely different as they sound very warm and tend to "smooth out" the distortion of electric guitars, it's a positive feature for my tastes, but you may not like it...they're quite bassy but definitely don't "drown the music in bass", so don't discard even the senns as an option.

Mind that some people will recommend you Grados for rock, some others like Senns or Beyers, and none of them is wrong, because it only depends on your tastes,...you could try to figure out what you'll probably enjoy the most according to our suggestions, but until you've tried them...you know what i mean.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 80
I really like my Grados and my Beyerdynamics for rock music.

I reach for my Beyerdynamics a bit more often, though, because I find them a bit more forgiving for less well-mastered music (too common in rock)

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No idea about "best", but I do love how the AKG K1000 perform with rock music.
Accurate, controlled, neutral, detailed, ...

+1 here, K1000s properly driven has outdone all of my headphones in pretty much every department.

But I'm a fan of the PS1's forthrightness when it comes to rock

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes, should've added my budget was about $350

For your budget...the "B" stock TTVJ sale this Monday for the HF-2s!

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. RS-1
2. K-702

I laughed so hard at this. Anything to pimp the AKGs right Acix?

If you honestly believe the K702 are anywhere near the second best rock cans under $400 or even under whatever the lowest cost you can get them for is, then you're horrifically disillusioned.

K701/2 are pretty much horrid for rock, just about anything you could buy around it's price would be better for rock.

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I laughed so hard at this. Anything to pimp the AKGs right Acix?

If you honestly believe the K702 are anywhere near the second best rock cans under $400 or even under whatever the lowest cost you can get them for is, then you're horrifically disillusioned.

K701/2 are pretty much horrid for rock, just about anything you could buy around it's price would be better for rock.

I like my K701 for rock too. It's pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back