Best headphones for pure FPS gaming around $100 new/used ?
Sep 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Prodeje79

New Head-Fier
I have a nice set of Sennheiser HD580 for music/etc.
Also I have an Astro A40 headset for comparison......

I have an Astro 7.1 Wired Mixamp (2011 Version) and a Turtle Beach DSS.
I so far prefer the mixamp.......

I want something for pure FPS listening/directional/footsteps etc.
I ,of course, reviewed the Mad Lust ENvy guide on here, which pretty much points to the AD700 if no mic needed for this price point.

I'd like to hear some thoughts out there, rather than just take this guide as the be all know all.
I really want to hear from a specific member, I hope he responds!

I did just purchase mvrk10256's modded AD700 set to try out......
(painted mod, ear comfort mod, single sided removable cable mod)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/680712/highly-modded-ath-ad700-price-drop

Regardless, love to hear more thoughts!

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 11
You are who I wanted to hear from!

Why those? Any details? I already have other ones on the way. You think I should order those too???

Heya,

I think the AD700 is a dated headphone, and over-praised. There's too much on the market for the same old thing to be heralded. But it should just drive people to try other options and find something better for their dollar.

I say that as someone who also bought the AD700, and AD500.

That said, the new imports from AT, the TAD400 and TAD500 are fantastic headphones. Great overall AT signature and sound stage. Fairly similar, but I consider it a little better for two main reasons. One, it has better low frequency response. I think it's a crime against audio to buy a headphone that isn't competent at all frequency ranges, especially when dropping $100 or more. Two, it has a full headband and not just those absolutely atrocious wings. Some people are ok with the wings. I hate the wings. The wing-AT's just feel like the cups are the only thing keeping them on your head, and they just flop off and droop unless it's a perfect fit. A headphone with a full headband stays on your head. I just like the secure feeling a lot more. I can pop my head or jerk around and not feel like they're slumping off.

Anyhow, it's a headphone that doesn't get a lot of thread-time, mainly because most people don't know about it, or simply haven't or won't try it. But it truly is a fantastic open air headphone in the $100 range. And frankly I think the AD700 needs to go the way of the dodo, both in construction and sound. It has a big sound stage, sure, but do you really need to spend $100 for footstep listening? I'd rather spend $100 and get a fully competent headphone that you can listen to footsteps and other things just as well.

Very best,

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 11
those other ones are better or equal to the ad700?

To me yes. But that's just my opinion. I think they're far more comfortable to wear too, but again, I really don't like the wing design. Some people do. It's a preference thing.

Though honestly I don't see why you don't just use the HD580. It's better in every way compared to the AD700. Every. Way.

(I also have the HD580, it's the HD600 before it's model number changed. Great sound stage.)

Very best,

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 11
With the astro a40 I can tell direction. With the hd580 I cannot tell where the sound is coming from. They sound amazing, but for a competitive advantage they are not....
Mad lust envy review of hd650 makes total sense to me now.... I wish he would review the ones you are recommending...

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 11
With the Astro a40 I can tell direction. With the HD580 I cannot tell where the sound is coming from. They sound amazing, but for a competitive advantage they are not....
Mad lust envy review of HD650 makes total sense to me now.... I wish he would review the ones you are recommending...

I'm going to make a wild guess and say the Astro mix-amp might be pushing it's limits try to drive the HD580?

Maybe adding a headphone amplifier between the Astro mix-amp the the HD580 will improve the HD580's audio quality.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm going to make a wild guess and say the Astro mix-amp might be pushing it's limits try to drive the HD580?

Maybe adding a headphone amplifier between the Astro mix-amp the the HD580 will improve the HD580's audio quality.

OK I did think about that. This is regardless of using the DSS or the mixamp. The DSS seems plenty powerful while the mixamp is weak for the hd580...

So is the guide spot on or what amp should I get for strict mixamp use?

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 11
OK I did think about that. This is regardless of using the DSS or the mixamp. The DSS seems plenty powerful while the mixamp is weak for the hd580...

So is the guide spot on or what amp should I get for strict mixamp use?

If you all ready have (paid for) the modded ATH-AD700, might as well just use them for FPS gaming, plugged into the DSS or Mix-amp.
I'm not sure what amplifier to recommend for use with the HD580, from my understanding of the 300-Ohm HD580/HD600/HD650, the better the amplifier, the better the sound.
Schiit Magni, $99
Schiit Asgard 2, $250
Little Dot MKIII (tube), $250
etc. etc. etc.
Just not sure where you should spend the money.

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 11
You are who I wanted to hear from!

Why those? Any details? I already have other ones on the way. You think I should order those too???

hey man... i know i'm not a supremus or anything.. but i got the TAD500 for the same reason.. fps gaming.. i've had them for about a week now but nonstop gaming since im on break but right now i have them paired with a sound blaster z and they and great so far as far as positional accuracy... i play (dayz) Arma 2 and recently tried soldier front two... but yes these headphones have been great for positional accuracy for as long as ive had them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back