Best Headphones for Prog Trance, Trance and Uplifting Trance (within my budget)
Mar 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #16 of 30
It's a good point. But have u erver tried them or know anyone that has a pair? Any other sugestions besides these ones? In a way i would probably get this one faster than the m50's since they are 30 euros cheaper and also have a removable cable. Now soundwise i would love to have some more impressions on them.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
It's a good point. But have u erver tried them or know anyone that has a pair? Any other sugestions besides these ones? In a way i would probably get this one faster than the m50's since they are 30 euros cheaper and also have a removable cable. Now soundwise i would love to have some more impressions on them.

What I would suggest is that whatever dealer you're buying them from, ensure they have a good "no questions asked" return policy. That way you can always change your mind if you find they aren't right for you.

I haven't listened to these headphones personally, but I see this model used quite frequently by semi-pro to full-pro DJ's. I'm actually thinking of trying out a pair for myself.

I listen to a lot of trance music myself and have been faced with the same kind of problems as yourself.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 30
I liked the HD25-ii s for trance. Vaguely recall why but it fitted the genre well due to how quick the bass was. It doesn't go deep / rumble unless you EQ it though, at least from my experience. Connected it to an E11 and put it on the first level of the bass boost and I started hearing the deep rumble in the songs where it's meaningful to have it present. Sounded great for all genres really in my opinion. Comfort is debatable though, as are the looks. Both are part of the reason why I sold them (asides from switching to CIEMs :)). In my opinion though it was a bit too treble-y, though I'm just sensitive to treble. Other people do say it's a bit sibilant though. In other words, they are far from being dark / muffled and seem to be often recommended for especially rock and metal due to its aggressive sound (which sounds like what you're going for aka quick bass and treble which I have no idea how to describe because I'm not sure if I can really hear it due to damaged hearing).

If you wait around you can maybe find them for ~160 USD new if you can stretch your budget. I got mine for that much on ebay and by an authorized retailer but I believe that was before Senn locked down on the prices.

Personally I didn't fancy the M50 too much, though it could've been just mine. I literally heard no bass in it. Like it wasn't missing, but rather it just didn't have the presence people say it has.

Comparing the HD25-ii to the ES3X (my favorite out of all the headphones / earphones I've tried / owned thus far due to its more flat sound signature with a slight emphasis in the mids), I'd say the ES3X essentially retains the HD25-ii's bass's sound (although improving it quite a bit still; don't know how to describe it) along with improving (vastly) on the mid range (I listen to mainly vocal trance / piano songs, more specifically mainly female vocals), taming the treble, and having an actual perception of depth / soundstage, which the HD25-ii didn't really have. The ES3X is about 4x~5x the price though.

Ranking the ones that I own / owned for clarity:

ES3X      >      DT770 Premium 32ohm      >      HD25-ii     >     ATH M50    >    FA-011   >     V- Moda M80 (despite being ~$100 more, too dark for my taste. Lack of treble)

Ranking for bass:

ES3X   >   FA-011 (my god the r umble)  >  HD25-ii (I liked its quick nature. Its lack of movie-like rumble didn't really faze me due to how satisfying the bass was already)  >  DT770 Premium 32ohm (compared to the HD25-ii, more realistic bass due to its soundstage but doesn't feel like it engages a listener) >  V-Moda M80 > ATH M50  

For trance:

ES3X > HD25-ii / FA-011 (debatable to me. Where the FA-011 lacks in clarity it redeems itself with its ridiculously fun sound signature due to how deep the bass goes, especially for an open can. I'd compare it to an actual subwoofer rattling your head. In other words, clarity vs. pure fun) > can't really recommend the others.

DT770 basically wasn't engaging though I loved its sound stage.

The ATH M50 I vaguely recall much as I sold them almost 2 years ago, but yeah I really didn't hear much bass. Sub-bass nor rumble, though then again that could've been my model so your experience might be different. I'm thinking about purchasing another just to compare.

V-Moda M80 lacked on treble and clarity. Muddy / bass was bleeding into the mids a bit.

I really didn't like the M80s. I'd say the FA-011 was an improved M80 even though it's open-back and circumaural compared to supra-aural and it still lacked clarity. Improved on treble, but improved as in rather than lacking, it was sibilant. Much more fun sounding though.

The reason why I'm mentioning these by the way is because (most) of them seem to be recommended for general EDM / bass-reliant genres, asides from the DT770 really. I'm not sure why I bought the DT770 really. Just for perspective I guess.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #19 of 30
Hey Pedro. 

I'm not familiar with the ATH-50, just heard them a few times and can't pass no judgment about them. The Aurvana's however I own for 5 years now and I can tell you that there is no need to worry about the treble being recessed. These are not bass heavy headphones at all (though they have SOME bass emphasis). The best word I can find for them is fun. They are relatively well balanced. 
I own the HD-800 and AKG K-550 so believe me, I love a good treble with a balanced presentation.

i'm listening to Shpongle now with them right now to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks with me and indeed, the bass is tight and punchy, the mids are lush and the highs are pretty dam detailed for a $60 pair.  

The only concern I see for the usage you have in mind (in doors) is the cable as it is short (1.2 Meters) which isn't ideal in doors. that can easily be remedied though with an extension cord. 
Also, don't count on them to isolate outside if you plan to take them out for a walk. they hardly isolate outside noise. 

For what they cost I doubt you would regret this purchase 
And thanks for making me listen to them again, they were just laying around for a few months, completely forgot what a good pair these are :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #20 of 30
thank u very very much for all your replys guys 

Unfortunately my budget can not exceed the 100 and very few more euros... I am Portuguese, so yes i live in an economic ****Hole wich makes me not having much money to spend in these kind of things (very unfortunetely).

I would love to have the hd 25's Ayeveen but unfortunately it is very hard to get them for my budget, the best price i can find right now is 160 euros on amazon.co.uk but even the m50's at 119 in a spanish store is already a very big effort for my wallet. Unless i could get the hd 25's used it is almost impossible for me to get them and even for that price i can get the akg's k550 on a spanish store for the same price as the hd 25's so it would be a very difficult choice.

The aurvana's were my first choice, and from what eliben says they are a little more durable than i thought (even if used only at home, to last 5 years is very good).

Many people say that the Aurvana are very good and make music listening really fun, but also many people said this are a little bit warm sounding headphones and that makes me a little bit affraid to get them because i want a sound that is a little more bright and with good highs. Isolation is not a concern, if i get the Aurvana's (sometimes they are at 50 euros with shipment included) for example i will retain my K518 because although they have a very dark, muffled and have very bassy sound, i think it is hard to get a better isolating headphone for the price they costed me (20 euros) (although i dont like the sound of them very much i do admit that these make an exceptional work when it cames to cancelling outside noise).

Isolation will only be an issue if i get a 100 or more euros headphones, because in that case i would have to sell my k518 to make some more money but i really can not exceed the 100 for much more.

Eliben85 since you tried both do you believe the CAL's are better for my needs then the m50's? 

Probably i am going to make my ourchase through amazon.es or amazon.co.uk since it is my first ever online purchase and i dont want to take any chances with other retaillers.

Ayeveen i really thank you for sugesting the Es3x but i would have to sell my car or something like that to get those XD
But still thank u... 
beyersmile.png

Would love to here some more about the Comparison between the M50's the technics Sound QUest mentioned and the Cal!'s because for now they seem to be the better choices for my budget and being the CAL!'s the best bang for buck although i am not very sure if they will be good for my needs (Eliben85 my kind of trance is the like of AVB, Old times Tiesto, Markus Schulz, A&B, Kyau & Albert....)

By the way, i am going to use these with my 4th gen Ipod touch, my pc and my Xperia arc S and with no amp (at least for now).

(Other Headphones advised to me in a portuguese forum and others, JvC's s500, Philips Uptown (they are pretty but they are not compatible with my arc S like the Phillips Shibuya (dunno why...) and i dont like the cable very much (such has the cable on my 518's it is very thin for such big headphones), the Ultrasones hfi-780, many people say these are very good for tance but they exceed my budget and also the sony v6 and the mdr 7506, anyone agrees with this sugestions or has tried any of this?)

EDIT: Just watching a video and Andrew Bayer and Boom Jinx Also use the Technics you mentioned Sound Quest (A&B and Arty the HD25). Would love to try the hd 25's but since they are not in my budget those Technics get more interesting every time i see them, would love to know how the sound...

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:
~snip~

EDIT: Just watching a video and Andrew Bayer and Boom Jinx Also use the Technics you mentioned Sound Quest (A&B and Arty the HD25). Would love to try the hd 25's but since they are not in my budget those Technics get more interesting every time i see them, would love to know how the sound...

Yes they do use technics but that alludes to them having a very flat response since when mixing you can't afford to have a colored headphone. Trust me, I know. As for your original inquiries, I would suggest the headphones I own, the Sony MDR-v6. Yes they are flat response, but they do manage to cover a lot of the trance sub-genres very well in my opinion. Tech-trance is very vibrant and prog-trance is intimate, vocal trance is quite emotional, and good old trance carries that signature dark and rich quality that made trance what it is. I am a huge trance listener, from MS54's International Departures to Armin's ASOT to old Cosmic Gate and old Tiësto, I listen to them all. So the headphones do deliver and since you don't really like overpowering bass as it seems, these are great. The bass goes deep but it doesn't overpower the delicate highs present in trance.

Although I should say, the "bass ******* everything up in Anjunabeats 10" is not all the headphones since as the years have progressed, Trance has morphed from a unique balance of Highs and rich Lows, to a genre where most of the listeners are missing the original intent of Trance and only listening for Bass and the next "drop." It's a sad realization but a true one. Luckily, there's guys like Thrillseekers and Solarstone and Giuseppe Ottaviani trying to revive the old ways. But that's enough of my old-man rant. (I swear I'm a college student and not an old grumpy middle aged bloke 
tongue.gif
 ) 

Side-note: Paul van Dyk uses the MDR-7506 and he's the only one who does live remixes while he's DJ-ing.

Edit: Forgot to say that the MDR-7506 is the exact same as the MDR-v6

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #22 of 30
Thank you so much chunkfnk.
Actually i have to be honest, you are almost convincing me to buy them since i was thinking to my self a little bit tonight and it is really no a good time for me to spend much money.
Basically now i am stuck between the v6's and the CAL!'s but since you do indeed have the same taste for trance that i do, this v6's seem like a really good buy. They had actually have been vaguely recomended to me and i thought they were much more expensive...

I got a few question s though....

1. Are there many fakes? I will buy it from amazo.co.uk since it is cheaper, here is the link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mdr-V6-Lightweight-Stereo-Headphones-Sony/dp/B00001WRSJ%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJYDFGEV2HXBYEQJQ%26tag%3Dz0ec-21%26linkCode%3Dsp1%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00001WRSJ

Does it seem legit?

I am asking this because this will actually be my first online purchase and i know there are many fakes online.

2. So the 7506 and this are really the same? Construction wise and all? The only difference is only the frequency responde and the jack (gold platted). Does the frequency response makes them any different? (I am a noob sorry... XD )

Actually on the "vs" thread of this 2 here on head fi people actually say that the v6 sound slightly better than the 7506 even though they are cheaper...

3. As i said i am not using an amp, This will do well on my Ipod or will the volume be very low?

So at the end of the day it all comes to this...

The Sony v6's or the Creative Aurvana Live!'s? (In a near future probably both, who knows... )

As for what you said about trance, when i said bass ***** everything up in anjunabeats volume 10, i was actually tallking about my akg's K518 because they make everything covered by bass so it is not very nice to listen to trance with them...

But i do agree with you, i am 25 and although i do not like clubbing and partying very much i grew up listening to dance music (87 house music was born) and it is still the type of music i most listen too, specially trance because it just gives u feelings and sound that any other type of music can not. Trance when well crafted is for me the most beautifull type of music there is.

In a way you and i both know that thing have to evolve and the main thing now is not trance but prog trance wich mixes a little bit of many other influences with trance. I am not going to say it is bad because i like artists like arty, Oliver Smith, Eximinds and Such. But ther is nothing like the old beautifull trance, uplifting trance, the old phynn, gouryella, the old Ferry Corsten, actually Ferry Corsten is really different now... been listening to his Countdown podcast and he his almost turning into nowadays Tiesto... I believe Armin is number 1 on DJMag for so many years because he is one of the few that still digs deep to try and dig for those beautifull uplifting tracks he drops for example usually os the second hour of the show and that is why people like him so much (although he tries to cover many styles nowadays too, for example the new track with W&W, wich to be honest is not really my thing, i like his latest collab with arty much much more). Paul van Dyk his also one of the few, at least for me...

15 days ago i was listening to Corsten's Countdown and the the classic from that week was "For an Angel" by Paul Van Dyk, and at the time i thought: "Damn, now this is really good, beautifull, well crafted trance..." 

I understand what you feel about nowadays trance, it is indeed awkward to listen the new anjunabeats volume 10 when compared with the older and trancier ones wich just made us "wow!", not that is bad, i like the the track from arty, walter white by A&B, for me the most beautifful track of the entire compilation is the Ronski Speed's Dub of "Sanity" (for me of course). Its not bad, just  different from the older A&B style since it has to keep ut with nowadays trends. But i did like the older ones better too... 

We could go all night with this conversation... But things are evolving and we have to accept it....

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 30
1. Yes there are many fakes but as long as it is "fulfilled by Amazon" you should be alright. Amazon have a really good track record of making things right if you do end up with fake goods. Keep in mind you might experience discomfort with the pleather pads that come with the stock V6. That's where the DT250 velour pads come into play. They smooth out the highs so they become smooth and they increase comfort hundred-fold. And they keep your ears cozy in the winter and cool in the summer. 

2. Yes they are the same, the only difference is the Gold jack and the "for professional" sticker on the side vs. the "For digital" sticker on the V6. And the best part is they will fold up and they are like tanks! I've dropped mine (accidentally), folded them up and tossed them in my duffle-bag for long trips, and lent them out to friends who are clumsy and have dropped them. They will hold up. There's a reason people still have the original ones they bought more than 10 years ago to this day and still use them.

3. They will sound decent straight out of an iPod or iPhone (I have used it like that on long car-trips with no problems) you just gotta crank the volume up a bit (not astronomically). Out of a laptop, you'll be golden. They don't need an amp and I remember reading years ago they don't benefit much from an amp anyways.

And yes I'm glad to finally have the fortune of speaking with someone who understands my views. I love that feeling of trance as well. It's just a very unique experience you don't get with much other music. To me it gives this sense of mystery and being lost (in the best way) while also guiding you home by the end of the track or sometimes the end of the set. Nothing rivals that to me, especially when you are standing in a crowd of people singing your heart out with your hands in the air. In fact, the moment I will never forget is when I first heard OceanLab's "On A Good Day" live at the end of Myon & Shane54's set and everyone was singing their lungs out with them. I get goosebumps whenever I see the video I recorded that night. Truly unreplicable.

Don't get me wrong though, some of the new releases are spectacular. I enjoy Myon & Shane54 and the SpaceRockerz a lot. Especially their ability to seamlessly mix in hundreds of songs within the span of an hour (That's not an exaggeration. Search for "Anatomy of a Megamix" on youtube if you want to see what I'm talking about). I even enjoy some of Kyau & Albert's new releases. It's strange because I've gone to a few raves (of which I've had the pleasure of getting a pic of myself with Kyau & Albert after they finished their set) and the new stuff actually works really well live. They just don't have has much replay value as the older stuff like A&B's Tri-State and Ferry Corsten's Twice In A Blue Moon.

As for the DJMag polls it's very true he is number 1 because he still gives die-hard fans a taste of the good old tracks even in his new sets. But yeah he's starting to gravitate towards Tech-trance now-a-days and I hear his new album is heading in a new direction. As for A&B's new track "Walter White" I absolutely adore that they are paying homage to Breaking Bad. I love that show.

But yeah, definitely we can go on for hours and long nights over this topic. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever want to about this stuff (I can hook you up with my podcast if you even want).

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #24 of 30
Cool. Thank u very much chunkfnk. :)

Only a last question since i have been reading the 7506 vs v6 thread... For how many years did u have your v6's? People are trying to dig everything up on that thread and i thought i saw someone saying that the magnets on the older v6's and the new ones are different... Something about getting weaker during the years or something like that (i am a noob in this so pardon me please...)
Basically what i am trying to say is will the nowadays v6's still sound like the praised v6's made hundreds of years ago, or it is still the same quality sound product is has ever been?

I know the 7506 are more expensive but for God sake, even though it is not gold plated the metal jack on the v6's looks waaaaaaaaaay better than the rubber jack on the 7506.

I like "gluhwurmchen"  from K&A on volume 10, tracks like "All your colours" are so so but tracks like "Falling Anywhere" and "Kiksu" are just pure bliss....

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #25 of 30
The MDR-V6 will have a flatter response than the technics. They are built for studio use, where as the technics are specifically designed to handle electronic music.

The MDR-V6 is a more "honest" headphone and might not sound great with over compressed trance music which needs a little more colourant to sound good.

I suppose the only way you'll really know what sounds best to you will be to try out one of the pairs and see how you like them. Just make sure there is a good return policy incase the pair you get isn't suitable for your needs.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:
The MDR-V6 will have a flatter response than the technics. They are built for studio use, where as the technics are specifically designed to handle electronic music.

The MDR-V6 is a more "honest" headphone and might not sound great with over compressed trance music which needs a little more colourant to sound good.

I suppose the only way you'll really know what sounds best to you will be to try out one of the pairs and see how you like them. Just make sure there is a good return policy incase the pair you get isn't suitable for your needs.

Yes, valid point. They aren't shy to show you when you have a bad recording. Although the thing I've found is with honest headphones, they tend to do electronic very well since colored headphones seem to alter the balance created from the different notes making the songs sound more unnatural and a bit bizarre.

Quote:
Cool. Thank u very much chunkfnk. :)

Only a last question since i have been reading the 7506 vs v6 thread... For how many years did u have your v6's? People are trying to dig everything up on that thread and i thought i saw someone saying that the magnets on the older v6's and the new ones are different... Something about getting weaker during the years or something like that (i am a noob in this so pardon me please...)
Basically what i am trying to say is will the nowadays v6's still sound like the praised v6's made hundreds of years ago, or it is still the same quality sound product is has ever been?

I know the 7506 are more expensive but for God sake, even though it is not gold plated the metal jack on the v6's looks waaaaaaaaaay better than the rubber jack on the 7506.

I like "gluhwurmchen"  from K&A on volume 10, tracks like "All your colours" are so so but tracks like "Falling Anywhere" and "Kiksu" are just pure bliss....

I've had them for 4 years. And no worries, it's always good to do research.

And actually they're both metal jacks, it's just the 7506 has a dark midnight blue painted jack with a gold tip. But yeah I like the look of the silver jack on my V6 as well. 

Yeah, nothing like hearing those vibrant tracks.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 30
It is just that they are a lot cheaper than the m50's or the Technics you see Sound Quest, i would love to get on of those two or the hd25 adidas that is at 160 euros on amazon.fr, but unfortunately i cannot spend so much money right now.

But thank u very much for he heads up.Do you think the v6 are a good pair of Headpones comparing with the Technichs, the M50's or the Cal's Sound Quest?

Here are all the links for all the possible buys...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-51EF0060AA001-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000W6Y0JY%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJYDFGEV2HXBYEQJQ%26tag%3Dz0ec-21%26linkCode%3Dsp1%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000W6Y0JY

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technics-DH1200E-S-Pro-DJ-Headphones/dp/B0002KQUXE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362878199&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mdr-V6-Lightweight-Stereo-Headphones-Sony/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=cm_cmu_pg_i

Edit: TRhe only thing i like more on the 7506 are the blue stickers... XD I like blue on black... Well, you can't have everything....

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #28 of 30
Sound Quest i was going through the v6's threads and saw that you have bought a pair of white 55's on amazon. How are those? Ever compared them with the v6's, the Aruvana's or the Technics?

Cheers....

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #30 of 30
Sorry for the third post guys....

I can try to join a little more money and this headphones are all at a price range between 100 and 120 euros...

Audio Technica ath-m50
Beyerdynamic dt860
Sennheiser hd558

Do you think that any of this are good for my needs?
Are they all Worth twice as much the aurvanas or the v6's?
Wich one do you think would be more suitabble for me?

Thank you all very much once again and i apreciate any hel i can get within this matter... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back