Best headphones for orchestral/cinematic music for ~$400?
Jun 19, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #50 of 80
Do you mean you want strong bass? I don't really get what you are after?
I would say music like Two steps from hell work best with headphone that is fairly neutral but slightly on the warm side. To give the music that nice fullness, but that is only my opinion. It would be best for you to try some headphones and tell what sort of sound signature you like.
Comfort is very subjective, it varies a lot from person to person.

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #51 of 80
  I don't really get what you are after?
It would be best for you to try some headphones and tell what sort of sound signature you like.

Echo ^^^^^^. At some point, you just gotta take the plunge and get some cans on your ears one way or another.

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #52 of 80
What is your current source by the way? If you are using Andriod, there's a high chance that the E18 is useful to you. If you are using an iPod, go for the E11/E12 depending on your budget. The E12 is definitely of higher end than E11 and offers plenty of juice in case you wish upgrade in the future. If you are using iPad, I recommend E07K + CCK. If you are using laptop, look into the FiiO E10 (all amps/DAC mentioned so far are all FiiO as they are the only few company who makes budget friendly amp). If you are using both Laptop and Andriod phone, go for the E18 for sure.

E18 has an line in so that you can use it only as an amp and it's DAC if you connect via DAC. All PCs and laptops are supported however, only limited number of Andriod phone supports USB OTG and compatible with E18. See compatibility list here: http://www.fiio.net/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442&MenuID=105026002

As for do you really need an amp and will it really improve sound? I just saw the thread title and it seems like you wanted a cinematic experience. The Denon AH-D600 offers that better than the PSB M4U1. Both of these headphones are easy to drive but the Denon definitely offer a better bass response with a good amplifier. While it does benefit with one, the improvement is rather minor for the money unless you have other headphones who needs an amplifier too!

I suggest you to possibly try them before buying. Where you from? Any chance for you to head to a store and possibly listen to some of the gears available?

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #54 of 80

i am just sticking my sansa clip onto the E18 via the line out.. n a pair of Mikros 90portable can..
( my android phone doesnt work on the e18...alas..zzzz wait till i hv enuf $$ for a NOTE 3..:p )

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #55 of 80
I want a blend between mids/highs and bass

For the warmth, musical, fun, deep sub bass and can be experienced, go for the AH-D600. While it does not have the sweet midrange of PSB, it does not lacks much. PSB's midrange is more natural whereas the AH-D600 is on the warmish thick side. I will go for AH-D600 for movies and PSB for music but personally, I am not a huge fan of too much bass in my music xD

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #58 of 80
It works with S4 but requires specific app
smily_headphones1.gif

S5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back