Best headphones for orchestral/cinematic music for ~$400?
Jun 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 80
You give very little information to make any suggestions. Like where are you planning to use them? Open or closed back headphones?
Where are you plugging them? You should think a bit what type of headphones you want? Some need amplifier so that will increase price.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 80
Past the $300 mark is where I would usually recommend a dac/amp or amp... perhaps consider a portable one. The M4U1 is a cheaper option as it doesn't include active noise cancelling. Also, the NAD HP50 was designed at least in part by the same guy who did the PSB's... many like the HP50 a little more. They are very clear and natural... I've auditioned them out of my phone and they are quite easy to drive, within budget, and should meet your requirements. Not sure if they are the best for orchestral in that price range, they're slightly dark with a focus on mids.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 80
  I listen to songs from bands like Two Steps from Hell and Audiomachine. My budget is $400. My current pick is the PSB M4U-2. Thanks in advance! :)

this can sounds clear n pumping...auditioned it twice. v easily powered.
Have u put it on your head b4...? does it fit on yours...
tot i read somewhere ppl have broken the frame b4...?

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 80
Sound quality... not sure. They should be close - clear, and neutral/ just a bit warm. I just haven't heard the M4U2's myself... though I have a friend I should try them from when I can. No ANC on the NAD's. For ANC, you can't beat (dare I say it...) Bose. Do you really need ANC? Closed headphones should provide enough passive NC for most applications.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 80
I'd wait to see if you get any more replies, I don't really use closed cans or ANC or listen to orchestral music... so... ya.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 80
Hello,

the PSB-M4U1 and "2" are both the same except the M4U1 does not offer active noise cancellation but still offer passive noise cancellation which IMO, still isolates well. I'd say go for PSB M4U1 + FiiO E07K as amp/DAC. You can use the FiiO E07K as your desktop DAC/amp. I personally do not recommend active noise cancellation as they kind of rune the sound quality one way or another [ most of the time or at least, those I have tried. ]

The Denon AH-D600 is also worth considering. It's more musical and warmer than the PSB M4U1. If you  find the PSB M4U1 to be lacking in bass, you may like the Denon AH-D600 boosted bass. At $400, the Bang and Olufsen H6 is also worth considering; pretty natural sound, relaxed sound signature, some may find it lacking in bass thought.

Hope it helps!
Billson 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 80
  how do the sennheiser momentums compare?

The Sennheiser Momentum feels more like an on-ear even the "Over-Ear Version". Other than that, the AH-D600 share similar sound signature except the AH-D600 with a more open soundstage. the Momentum offers very limited soundstage. The Momentum is however, more portable than the AH-D600 and single sided cable instead of two [AH-D600].

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #15 of 80
ANC work's mostly on constant noise like air plain engine noise, bus engine noise. But it does not work well with other noises.
Passive isolation is always better in terms of sound quality. I think the NAD VISO HP50 should work nicely.
You could check also SoundMagic HP100 and the Akg K550 or the K551 difference is the cable and color.
All of these should work without an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back