Best headphones for my taste/price range
Sep 28, 2018 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NortheastBreeze

New Head-Fier
Hey all any chance I could get a recommendation on what the best headphones for under $600 that produce powerful accurate bass that doesn't necessarily overpower the mids and highs. My current setup is the Oppo HA-2 SE, Sennheiser 6XX combo. While I like the accurate mids and highs I find a big loss from the low end of the spectrum. Maybe it is just me but I have an 18" DC Audio Level 3 M2 D2 Sub in my jeep and certain songs that rock my sub barely produce much bass even with the headphone amp. It would be nice to find something a little better suited to my tastes if possible.
Thanks all!

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 13
You are not going to find a headphone that will compete with a 18” subwoofer.

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 13
We can assume the audio source is a computer (USB connection)?

It might be the Oppo HA-2E is not giving the 300-Ohm HD6XX the best balance for Voltage/Current.
So made get a headphone amplifier that is more biased for voltage, like a tube headphone amplifier.
Like a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DarkVoice-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
And use the Oppo for the DAC.
Might also try reading up and asking on this thread about the best way to improve the HD6XX sound.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd650-massdrop-hd6xx-impressions-thread.197776/page-2782

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 13
The Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 might pleasure you if you don't mind a closed headphone. Don't expect the same transparency that you get with a good open headphone.

Or maybe the Philips X2 if you're not really looking for basshead stuff. Open headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Well here is the problem. I grew up in a world without subwoofers. I do like bass but it is not what was in the music that I like to listen to but that is changing and I do find myself listening to more bass heavy music but it is not a priority for me. If you want crazy bass then maybe a pair of Kannons they have a tactile driver in them and will definitely make you feel the bass. The HE-500’s also have good bass it may not be to your liking but it is fast and articulate but you will need a amp better than the Oppo.
I believe there is a difference in quantity and quality it that is me.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 13
yes USB mostly but I got the Oppo for versatility purposes as my listening experience spans pc, phone and portable cassette player
Guess an option is to daisy chain a portable headphone amplifier (more powerful then the Oppo's), off the Oppo's line-output jack?

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Well here is the problem. I grew up in a world without subwoofers. I do like bass but it is not what was in the music that I like to listen to but that is changing and I do find myself listening to more bass heavy music but it is not a priority for me. If you want crazy bass then maybe a pair of Kannons they have a tactile driver in them and will definitely make you feel the bass. The HE-500’s also have good bass it may not be to your liking but it is fast and articulate but you will need a amp better than the Oppo.
I believe there is a difference in quantity and quality it that is me.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 13
It's well below your price cap, and it does take some time to get your hands on a set.... but you might consider the Modhouse Argon. Bass is very deep and satisfying, and you have a huge soundstage. (Not just huge for a closed can, just flat out huge.)
If you are looking for 'subwoofer bass' this is the closest I have heard from a headphone, it's insanely fun for hip hop or anything else that makes that epic, deep, 808 "BOOM BOOM" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back