Best Headphones for listening to Rap on an iPod
Dec 22, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
Quote:
Sony MDR XB500's are the cheapest good set of hip hop cans I can think of,

I second this suggestion, they are bass monsters. 

Yes indeed they are, they are the bassiest you'll find with also very good sound quality for the price however I wouldn't concider the bass "tight" but it's very equal in strength when you compare deep and upper bass and quality is just great and it never distorts despite boosting it to insane levels and it's very difficult to find other headphones with such even bassresponse range that delivers both strong deep rumbling bass and punchy upper bass. But I wouldn't concider them very suitable for portable use in case OP planned to do so cuz of the sound leaking from the bass vents at the back and somewhat huge sized pads. xD

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 30

Quote:
He would look as an astronaut wearing them, lol

Yea my point, I sure wouldn't wanna walk around with miniature sized Michelin tires on my ears in public. ^^ I only listen at home so for me it's not a prob but the looks would be the smallest problem anyway, I would die of shame in case some1 posted a vid on the net of me groovin' to them cuz of the engaging fun sound, if any headphone makes you wanna headbang or dance or whatever this headphone is it, at least for me. It's like being out at a club and had a couple of too many drinks when you can start dancing to even crappy music. xD  

It brings out the hidden celebrity:

(technoviking) in you. xD

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #20 of 30

Quote:
Sony MDR XB500's are the cheapest good set of hip hop cans I can think of, if you willing to spend up to say $150 then Shure SRH750DJ's( Beats like for half the price) or Denon D1100.

If you've got $200 to spend then definately Allen and Heath Xone XD53's, which are argueably the best set of $200 I've ever heard. I A/B'd these against the DT770 80 ohms and they were so much clearer but still gave that nice punchy bass I craved.

I own the Shures and the Sony's and have to say they are really good for their prices, the XB500's being some of the best sub $60 headphones you can get in my opinion.

I tried both the XB500's and the D1100's today. both had very good bass, I'm also considering the Studio Edition Beats by Dr Dre. my Dad acted like he wouldnt have a problem paying for those. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Christmas! LOL

but thanks everyone for the quick feedback

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #21 of 30
You said you wanted good tight bass, then you bring up the beats.....ugh. The price has nothing to do with their sound quality.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #22 of 30
Haha I knew that as soon as "beats" were mentioned, there would be a "NO DON'T DO IT!" response 
biggrin.gif

IMO, if Beats are a "must"...go for broke and pick up the Pros.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #23 of 30
I own a first gen iTouch, and just bought DT770 pro 80 ohms - I can listen to them directly out of the ipod, but you have to get the volume high (on the slider bar) to get them to sound engaging - I think at about 6-7 out of 8 total volume they start to get good.

I have ordered up a Fiio e5 to see how that will work, via an LOD.

I have heard the Beats (both the Pro's, and the ones that you reference), and would suggest that they play louder without an amp than the DT770's, but for me they don't sound as good overall.

I can understand if the added amp and cords etc are a deal breaker for you, and the Beats are popular.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #24 of 30
Yea I heard the Beats Pro at BestBuy and IMHO, the rig they were set-up really didn't sound like it was just an iPod, they sounded like they were amped up 
basshead.gif

I wonder if you could take your iPod into BB and just plug in the headphones? 

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #25 of 30
Did you check the ipod to see if an EQ was turned on? The iphone/ipod has a good headphone amp, so its not surprising it sounded "amped up".

Quote:
Yea I heard the Beats Pro at BestBuy and IMHO, the rig they were set-up really didn't sound like it was just an iPod, they sounded like they were amped up 
basshead.gif

I wonder if you could take your iPod into BB and just plug in the headphones? 

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #26 of 30
dude, if you want BASS and you don't have the money for the 750DJ/M50, the K518s would be a good start for you. it doesn't have the tightest low end response, but it's enjoyable as hell (I can attest to that.) 
PS: it's a great portable, if you ask me, it's lightweight and tough as a tank.  

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #28 of 30
@Slaughter

The thing was plugged into a box and the actual source was hidden. Unless I completely destroyed the box without getting kicked out of the store, I was sort S.O.L. 
wink_face.gif

Maybe I should just walk into the store and demand to have my ipod plugged in 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
dude, if you want BASS and you don't have the money for the 750DJ/M50, the K518s would be a good start for you. it doesn't have the tightest low end response, but it's enjoyable as hell (I can attest to that.) 
PS: it's a great portable, if you ask me, it's lightweight and tough as a tank.  

K 518 / 81 DJs certainly got very strong punchy / fast bass but for me it lacks in the deep bass, rolled off too soon. Uncomfortable as hell without stretching though but very portable idd. Vocals are slightly too smooth/lacking fine detail even if they come out fine and highs are very dark sounding if you like such but the soundstage is so-so. Certainly not bad for the price, but I think XB500 sounds better for the same price with better mids and wider soundstage and better deep bass production but K518 DJs are more suitable for portable use though with very good ambient noise isolation and no sound leaking and more compact design and very lightweight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back