Best headphones for jazz
Jul 16, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #91 of 116
Pretty cool about the Diana, I'll have to check into those. I just purchased the HD800s and they sound fantastic. What do you like better about the Diana? I'm listening to Huey Lewis (rock) right now on the HD800s, but I've listened to some Jazz with them too and it's fun. Stuff like Mike Stern, Miles Davis, Kenny Burrell ect.

The Sennheiser are very nice headphones. Compared to the Abyss they are definitely on the brighter side, but not as bad as their non-S model. Fairly comfortable, but not narrowly as much as the Diana Phi's. The Abyss have much more and much tighter low-end, much better instrument separation and more air and detailed with all instruments. Female vocals are to die for. They can also be used with my portable player (Astell&Kern) which I never would carry the HD800S to use with. The Sennheiser are bulkier, believe it or not.

On the down side is price. The Abyss are about double the price of the Sennheiser. If you can afford that much for cans then you would have a very hard time beating the Abyss. Oh, they are also hand made in the US (Buffalo, New York actually).

I listen to a variety of music. The Diana's seem to do very well with whatever I throw at them.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #92 of 116
Lots of cans tested. If you like the E2, try the Voce - more natural than the 009 IMO.

HFM: Arya, HEKse

LCD4, buries the LCD2 and LCD3

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #93 of 116
I have never compared the LCD-4 to the LCD-3, although a couple friends have. Some preferred the 3 some the 4. I had the LCD-i4, which of course do not sound the same as the LCD-4 :).

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #95 of 116
Are there any updates on this thread. Love to know what cans are best for jazz in 2020
Well, let's update post #1 ))

- Honey and warmth. Champions of this enveloping, endorphine-generating approach today are Audeze LCD-4, they are able to issue a record number of enveloping sweetness without falling into syrup. Honorable mentions - non-fazor Audeze LCD-3 (LCD-4 budget alternative for this niche), Audio-technica W5000 (lots of classic AT sweetness), Grado GS2000e (large-scale Grado strain with AT-sweetness injection).
- Purity and air. The electrostatic transparent mids, purity of the outer space and absolute ease, the trembling shivering nerve. Not-dull neutrality and naturalness. From what I thoroughly listened (but alas I don't own yet) champions definitely are Abyss, Focal Utopia and Stax 009. While it was not possible for me to reach uncompromising solution yet, I am humbly content in this category with Stax 409 and if not to start to be capricious, I am quite satisfied with them.
- Intimacy. And nevertheless most of I dive into this concept. Proximity to the music, to the singer, feeling of participation, transfer of emotions without intermediary. These fantastic effects on jazz most surprisingly realize Grado RS1i – their mids submerged into the listener, a modest soundstage, juicy highs and a delicate bass, having passed a lot of incarnations in younger models, reach balance ideal for a genre in Grado RS1i.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #96 of 116

- Honey and warmth. Champions of this enveloping, endorphine-generating approach today are Audeze LCD-4, they are able to issue a record number of enveloping sweetness without falling into syrup. Honorable mentions - non-fazor Audeze LCD-3 (LCD-4 budget alternative for this niche), Audio-technica W5000 (lots of classic AT sweetness), Grado GS2000e (large-scale Grado strain with AT-sweetness injection).
- Purity and air. The electrostatic transparent mids, purity of the outer space and absolute ease, the trembling shivering nerve. Not-dull neutrality and naturalness. From what I thoroughly listened (but alas I don't own yet) champions definitely are Abyss, Focal Utopia and Stax 009. While it was not possible for me to reach uncompromising solution yet, I am humbly content in this category with Stax 409 and if not to start to be capricious, I am quite satisfied with them.
- Intimacy. And nevertheless most of I dive into this concept. Proximity to the music, to the singer, feeling of participation, transfer of emotions without intermediary. These fantastic effects on jazz most surprisingly realize Grado RS1i – their mids submerged into the listener, a modest soundstage, juicy highs and a delicate bass, having passed a lot of incarnations in younger models, reach balance ideal for a genre in Grado RS1i.
Thanks. That’s very useful. Not seen you on head fi for a long time. Anyway, very kind of you to update this

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #97 of 116
I don't really think in terms of jazz headphones. I lump jazz in with (in my mind) clean sounding music. Even jazz from the 40's sounds SO well recorded. I just bought three Thelonius Monk albums and one is from 1947. I think of it like Florence and the Machine, Steely Dan and Pink Floyd. Very clean, clear and crisp. To me that was always my Grado GH2's and I have just picked up the Senn HD660's. Very exact headphones that sound great with great recordings, although the Grado's are much more forgiving.

In the last six months I have purchased the HiFiman Sundara's and the Focal Elex's. Both sound great with everything, but don't make the jazz stand out.

I was surprised to see the TH-610's on the list. I will have to give that a try.

VERY cool thread. I will definitely be monitoring. :thumbsup:

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #98 of 116

I dig my lcd 4s for jazz but the best yet are the sony z1r. Purely magical.

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #99 of 116
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #100 of 116
I had a sort of audiophile remission for a couple of years )
I get that. Some times I just use porta pros and listen to music instead of thinking about different audio gear

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #101 of 116
Minor update, added AKG K545, Fostex TH-610, Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart

I was very surprised to see the TH-610's on your list. First off, I think all closed backs are inferior to open backs, but maybe that is because I have never really heard a great closed back.

I modded my 610's with the Lawton Driver mod.

Sony ZX300 DAP to SMSL SU-8 DAC and then balanced out to Monoprice Liquid Platinum. From there Periapt balanced cable to my 610's. It was fun in that there was certainly strong bass when called upon. It didn't sound nearly as crisp or clear as my open backs though. With the jazz that I own, these would not be my first choice.

The music was three new albums from Thelonius Monk.

Fun to try though! :relaxed:

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #102 of 116
Jul 20, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #103 of 116
Jul 20, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #104 of 116
Jul 20, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #105 of 116
Much more fun and less expensive - to get old pair of nonfazor LCD-3 ))

I can save a lot of money by not listening to you guys :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back