Best headphones for jazz
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #76 of 116
Yeah, you're right. For a moment, I thought I'm in the Best Jazz headphones and how to amp'em thread.
Back on the topic. My nomination stays with AT ATH-W5000, closely followed by W3000ANV, Fostex 610 and 900, than ZMF Atticus. As you can see, they all have wooden chambers,regardless planar or dynamic, and I only like them with tubes, which amounts to very subjective and personal taste and opinion. Or, maybe a full size wooden cups really present jazz genre in a very special way.
Second tier: K701, K612, Grado RS325, Beyer T90
Planars: LCD-X, Blue Microphones Ella, Hifiman Edition X, HE-400
Will try: Upper echelon Grados, Focal line and electrostats

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #77 of 116
Yeah, you're right. For a moment, I thought I'm in the Best Jazz headphones and how to amp'em thread.
Back on the topic. My nomination stays with AT ATH-W5000, closely followed by W3000ANV, Fostex 610 and 900, than ZMF Atticus. As you can see, they all have wooden chambers,regardless planar or dynamic, and I only like them with tubes, which amounts to very subjective and personal taste and opinion. Or, maybe a full size wooden cups really present jazz genre in a very special way.
Second tier: K701, K612, Grado RS325, Beyer T90
Planars: LCD-X, Blue Microphones Ella, Hifiman Edition X, HE-400
Will try: Upper echelon Grados, Focal line and electrostats
Great experience. A lot of to try ahead.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #78 of 116
Can a DV336se really output 1W into 32 Ohms? If so, I know what I’m bringing back from my next trip to Beijing... If only to put in a Blue Velvet volume pot, some OsCon caps and the current valves du jour!

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #79 of 116
Can a DV336se really output 1W into 32 Ohms? If so, I know what I’m bringing back from my next trip to Beijing... If only to put in a Blue Velvet volume pot, some OsCon caps and the current valves du jour!

DV 336SE is a very powerfull amp. Check my previous posts above. Pair it with Pangea AC-9, feed it from quality source, and you won't be turning the knob over 12 o'clock, if that. I did some basic stuff on mine, and planning to do caps and some isolation too, aldough never had any hum or noice problems

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #82 of 116
I just came out of Canjam nyc 2018, and listened to a bunch of headphones with primarily jazz (ranging from miles to brecker brothers to Hank Jones) and also some steely Dan (namely Aja). The headphones that really stood out to me were the stax l700, Sennheiser HD 800, and zmf auteur. I have very limited audiophile vocab, so please bear with me. The Sennheiser HD 800 on a woo wa7 were my favorite, with the stax following close suit. The 800 just had such good soundstage and imaging that they shocked me. The detail on them is also mind blowing. The stax to me had slightly less sparkle in cymbal hits, and their soundstage didn't strike me to be as wide as the 800, but the clarity of the instruments was amazing. Honestly if the stax were compatible with different amps and had better build quality, they would be my personal pick. The zmf auteur were also very good. They were more intimate with less detail than the HD 800, and a little warmer and slightly more bassy (not my cup of tea). They still sounded great though and I was happy to listen to them. I also tried some audeze cans, some Klipsch heritage, beyer dt 1990, and me speakers voce and ether flow. Those didn't really do it for me, and the voce just sounded like a slightly worse stax to me.

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #83 of 116
Are there any updates on this thread. Love to know what cans are best for jazz in 2020

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #84 of 116
Has anyone mentioned Abyss? One of the best cans in the world and Jazz just sings with them. I own their lower, more portable model, the Diana Phi. Simply amazing headphones!

Headphones I have owned to compare: McIntosh, Audeze EL8, LCD-3, LCD-i4, Focal Clear, Mr. Speakers Ether, KEF M-500, Sennheiser HD800S. None come even close.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #85 of 116
Has anyone mentioned Abyss? One of the best cans in the world and Jazz just sings with them. I own their lower, more portable model, the Diana Phi. Simply amazing headphones!

Headphones I have owned to compare: McIntosh, Audeze EL8, LCD-3, LCD-i4, Focal Clear, Mr. Speakers Ether, KEF M-500, Sennheiser HD800S. None come even close.
Pretty cool about the Diana, I'll have to check into those. I just purchased the HD800s and they sound fantastic. What do you like better about the Diana? I'm listening to Huey Lewis (rock) right now on the HD800s, but I've listened to some Jazz with them too and it's fun. Stuff like Mike Stern, Miles Davis, Kenny Burrell ect.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #86 of 116
I know an old thread, but if given the same categories mentioned in the original post, the HD800s would probably be my choice over most given performance and price.

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #87 of 116
Big difference between Duke Ellington and Kamasi Washington and what headphone I’d chose to listen to either. Same thing goes for Pharoah Sanders and Kenny G although I would rather refrain from listening to the latter:wink:
The only headphone I’d consider to be a great jazz allrounder is the R70x, which is sorta like an HD600 with great subbass abilities. I don’t think you can top the 600 or 650 (depending on your tastebuds), if your main preference is the old guard.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #88 of 116
For old Blue Note recordings: DT48..

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #89 of 116
As a cheaper set, I get a lot of joy from ath-msr7 with miles and john coltrane

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #90 of 116
Recently I tried to google keywords "best headphones for jazz" and results were depressing... (No less depressing than results on the best headphones for metal were, try to google it now and top result will be much more rewarding http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution). As I listen jazz rather much, for some periods of my life, actually more than any other genre, there is a desire to understand what headphones "play jazz" and why they are more capable than others. Well, and just to talk about different cans + jazz matters.

So, what we can call "must have" for outstanding performance on jazz material? Definitely, absolutely mandatory are excellent mids (....)

(...)
Notes on some cans on jazz.

Mr.speakers ETHER

Hifiman HE-1000

Thank you Levap
for a thread I just discovered by chance now I will he e to consider some 'cans' after many IEMS for my kind of OCD decades long passion for Jazz music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back