Best headphones for jazz
Oct 17, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #61 of 116
For those praising the RS1's for Jazz, have you tried the Alessandro MS-Pro's? They are supposedly very similar in sound signature, just tuned to be more "neutral". I've only owned and heard the MS-Pro's, never the RS1's.
No experience with MS-Pro, but I have Grado HF2. They're much more neutral than RS1 and they're fantastic.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #62 of 116
Very happy to find someone who can appreciate W5000! I think DavidMahler is the one responsible for their rating at the community since he trashed them brutally at the Battle of Flagships.
I owned many headphones and amps in last 3 decades, only to be reduced to W5000, LCD-3 F and HD800, because when I get over a pair or a combo w/ amp or dac, just don't feel the need to keep them. Lately, though, I feel like it would be nice to revisit some of them, reading what's on this forum.
Anyways, for the last year or so, I've been listening exclusively to W5000 on DarkVoice 336SE w/ mostly Phillips 6080 and Phillips 6SN7, and Lynx Hilo as a dac. This covers most of my jazz cravings, with 20% HD800 on some recordings, where W5000 can't cope with the congestion. I don't find LCD-3 pairs well with tubes, I only use them for EDM etc on Mjolnir 1 from the Lynx. Owned LCD-X, and returned them for LCD-3, and I regret that decision.
That being said, what do you think I should look to in terms of similar general SS, but "different"? I'm trying to keep up the game on, add some fuel to the fire.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #64 of 116
I think LCD3 would be perfect for jazz. I like its laid-back sound, and the dark and dim tonality. But the precondition for enjoying this headphone is that you must have a strong neck. Lol.

I recently got a Stax 007 MK2 (driven by 007t). I think it’s also good for jazz. It has similar tonality as LCD3, plus the ES headphone’s unique purity makes it a good choice for jazz.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #65 of 116
Maybe after W5000 and HD800, I'm finally starting to be bothered by LCD-3's highs roll off. In some instances in jazz music in general, there is not much else to compensate for not catching that high note crystal clear. And I'm not disrespecting mighty LCD3s in any possible way, just saying that the jazz magic is eluding me with them for now. Not a final answer, still working on them on Darkvoice 336SE, just found a somewhat bright Motorola 6SN7GT, and it sounded awesome on Jammin' and Little Black Samba by Grover Junior.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #66 of 116
I think LCD3 would be perfect for jazz. I like its laid-back sound, and the dark and dim tonality. But the precondition for enjoying this headphone is that you must have a strong neck. Lol.

I recently got a Stax 007 MK2 (driven by 007t). I think it’s also good for jazz. It has similar tonality as LCD3, plus the ES headphone’s unique purity makes it a good choice for jazz.

You're saying that Stax James Bond has similar tonality to LCD-3? Can you elaborate?

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #67 of 116
Maybe after W5000 and HD800, I'm finally starting to be bothered by LCD-3's highs roll off. In some instances in jazz music in general, there is not much else to compensate for not catching that high note crystal clear. And I'm not disrespecting mighty LCD3s in any possible way, just saying that the jazz magic is eluding me with them for now. Not a final answer, still working on them on Darkvoice 336SE, just found a somewhat bright Motorola 6SN7GT, and it sounded awesome on Jammin' and Little Black Samba by Grover Junior.

I would have thought that trying to drive Orthos such as the LCD-3 off a low-powered OTL amp was a recipe for rolled-off treble and boomy bass....

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #68 of 116
I would have thought that trying to drive Orthos such as the LCD-3 off a low-powered OTL amp was a recipe for rolled-off treble and boomy bass....

In theory, you should be right. The thing is, with Lynx Hilo, I can significantly boost the dynamic range signal output, without any noticeable distortion from DV 336. And with Pangea AC-9 and few 5998 power tubes, I think DV opens LCD-3's upper mids area better than my Mjolnir 1 or Hilo's hp se out. With 0 dB source and -10.5 dB master out, I can never go more than 11 o'clock on DV.
Which amp, in your opinion drives LCD-3 the best?

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #69 of 116
Anyways, I joined the thread to ask for an advice what to try next, in the everlasting search for best jazz headphones, excluding AT W5K, HD800 and LCD-3. Open for suggestions, regardless of price range, both ways, $25 - $5k

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #70 of 116

In theory, you should be right. The thing is, with Lynx Hilo, I can significantly boost the dynamic range signal output, without any noticeable distortion from DV 336. And with Pangea AC-9 and few 5998 power tubes, I think DV opens LCD-3's upper mids area better than my Mjolnir 1 or Hilo's hp se out. With 0 dB source and -10.5 dB master out, I can never go more than 11 o'clock on DV.
Which amp, in your opinion drives LCD-3 the best?

I don’t have any direct experience of driving the LCD-3s, but I get the best results from my HE-500s (also an inefficient planar) with a powerful (1W) transformer-coupled tube amp (modified Opera Consonance Cyber 20 with Tungsram output tubes - see signature).

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #71 of 116
A powerful OTL such as the LaFigaro 339 should also do the trick, though...

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #72 of 116
I don't think DV 336SE lacks power for LCD-3. According to the specs, it can also output 1W, true or not, I can't hear any audable distortion even at max safe levels (12.30 pm) . The only thing I'm thinking of improving are the rca interconnects, currently using Wireworld Oasis. A little bit more silver in the mix may improve the +6KHz region, but on the other side, I don't need extra brightness for W5000 and God forbid for HD800, so it's a double edged sword.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #73 of 116
Anyways, I joined the thread to ask for an advice what to try next, in the everlasting search for best jazz headphones, excluding AT W5K, HD800 and LCD-3. Open for suggestions, regardless of price range, both ways, $25 - $5k
Grado, if you want to add fresh view to you system. Or Utopia as upgrade in HD800 direction.

But actually I would start from amplification upgrade. OTL is no good for low impedance headphones. W5000 and LCD-3 will surprise you.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #74 of 116
direction
What do you think of fully balanced path Hilo - Mjolnir? Or Hilo's SE hp out? Or you recommend tube amps only? What would you consider an upgrade in this situation?
Headphones wise, I was thinking to check Focal SS with Elear first, and if I liked it, to go from there. Although, wouldn't really want to go farther along the HD800 direction, looking for something "different".
Owned SR325, they were notoriosly Omega shaped.
The best jazz cans I had, were K240, Austrian, 600 Ohm.MIA. Wonder if these new China made 55 Ohm are anywhere near

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #75 of 116
What do you think of fully balanced path Hilo - Mjolnir? Or Hilo's SE hp out? Or you recommend tube amps only? What would you consider an upgrade in this situation?
Headphones wise, I was thinking to check Focal SS with Elear first, and if I liked it, to go from there. Although, wouldn't really want to go farther along the HD800 direction, looking for something "different".
Owned SR325, they were notoriosly Omega shaped.
The best jazz cans I had, were K240, Austrian, 600 Ohm.MIA. Wonder if these new China made 55 Ohm are anywhere near
A lot of questions! )) Not too close to jazz topic, so it's better - to select the headphones (W5000 or LCD-3) and drill their threads for amp impressions you like better. But even better - try in person amps you can grab.

Old K240 are excellent for their time, but if you have 800, imho they are vintage-nostalgia niche only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back