Best headphones for gaming?
Sep 5, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

FasterX

Head-Fier
I know you guys will say, "oh just get the M50s, they are good for all things". Well I will be getting the M50s, but I can only get them next month and I don't currently have the money for them. I have around 100 dollars to spend on gaming headphones. I was thinking the ATH-AD700, but I heard they lack so much bass that it isn't worth it. Are Razer headsets even worth it?

BTW: I mostly play Starcraft 2 and some FPS.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 33
oh just get the M50s, they are good for all things

really? Yes.

You'll be amazed with what the M50's can do with soundstage. Compared to the AD700's, the AD700 have a tiny edge over soundstage due to the loss of bass.

Headsets are worth it when you want the mic. The sound quality when gaming is about the same as with a regular can.

So, if you want a mic - go headset
If you want a headphones for everything - M50
If you want a dedicated headphone only for gaming and don't care how much of the room you hear - go AD700

Did I mention that the AD700 leak and isolate like a boat wrapped with a blanket all blown to bits with buckshot?

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 33
Crap. Bull crap.

Go for plantronics gamecom 777.

It'll cost you less than 60 bucks on Amazon. 

For FPS you want less bass (for tracking).

Cheap gaming headset, used by source

players.

If you want to go srs on gaming headphones, it'll cost you a lot more than 100.

For cheap ones, plantronics do the job quite well. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 33
Funny how the Superlux HD668B/Samson SR850 hasn't been mentioned yet in a thread about affordable gaming headphones...but I can't vouch for or against either.

All I can really talk about (read: actually own and have used) in your price range are the AD700s, which are pretty much exactly what everyone's saying about them. Large, comfortable, synergize excellently with binaural surround filters (CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, etc.), leaks sound in and out like a sieve, needs significant bass boost/EQ to bring up the low end.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
Crap. Bull crap.

Go for plantronics gamecom 777.

It'll cost you less than 60 bucks on Amazon. 

For FPS you want less bass (for tracking).

Cheap gaming headset, used by source

players.

If you want to go srs on gaming headphones, it'll cost you a lot more than 100.

For cheap ones, plantronics do the job quite well. 

The 367 quality for gaming is pretty much the same as the 777.  Alot cheaper too.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 33
Hi, 

Actually the m50 sucks for gaming, as the soundstage on them is minimal .. and comfort is just ok.

I heard good things about the Razer Charcarias .. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 33
Oh. 

Then by all means get the 367.

<30 bucks for a decent gaming headset.

Quote:
The 367 quality for gaming is pretty much the same as the 777.  Alot cheaper too.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
oh just get the M50s, they are good for all things

really? Yes.

You'll be amazed with what the M50's can do with soundstage. Compared to the AD700's, the AD700 have a tiny edge over soundstage due to the loss of bass.

Headsets are worth it when you want the mic. The sound quality when gaming is about the same as with a regular can.

So, if you want a mic - go headset
If you want a headphones for everything - M50
If you want a dedicated headphone only for gaming and don't care how much of the room you hear - go AD700

Did I mention that the AD700 leak and isolate like a boat wrapped with a blanket all blown to bits with buckshot?

Worst post I've read for a while.  M50 have nowhere near the soundstage of the AD700, and they're terrible for gaming.

OP there is a reason the AD700 is recommended for FPS positional gaming - it's because it is really good.  Yes it's bass light - but for positional accuracy you don't want thumping bass.  If you want some really good advice on gaming, check out MLEs gaming thread.  He really knows what he's talking about.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone
Even just read the first page of the thread - has some recommendations for worthwhile cans.  M50 listed a 7/10 for fun, 1/10 for competitiveness.  AD700 6/10 and 10/10.  Draw your own conclusion ....

If you want another good can (bit further up the price ladder) which works nicely for both gaming and music, try the Beyer DT880.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 33
Lol, the AD700s dont have a 'tiny edge' over the M50 on the soundstage front-- especially not when in dolby headphone mode.  DH definitely exposes a headphone's soundstage.  Take something like an M50, dolby headphone-- in my experience-- does literally nothing to expand its soundstage.  Take a skullcandy holua, and in dh it doesn't even sound right.  Now take the AD700, the perceived soundstage expands dramatically.  

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 33
The Samson RH600's are pretty good for gaming. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 33
I'll be getting the M50s in October so I want to get something for gaming now. (they are also way out of my price range right now anyways) Thanks for the recommendations.
EDIT: I would go with a GamesCon 777 but they are USB headsets so no me gusta.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
I'll be getting the M50s in October so I want to get something for gaming now. (they are also way out of my price range right now anyways) Thanks for the recommendations.
EDIT: I would go with a GamesCon 777 but they are USB headsets so no me gusta.

The usb is an optional soundcard, it can easily be removed.  As i said before, the 367 is very similar, the 777 just has the added ability of 5.1 with the usb soundcard.

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
The usb is an optional soundcard, it can easily be removed.  As i said before, the 367 is very similar, the 777 just has the added ability of 5.1 with the usb soundcard.

Thanks

Does anyone know how good the Razer Orcas are? Would I just be better off with the AD700s?

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 33
+1, thought the same thing.. Most of his posts are misinformation, and he posts a lot :-\

Quote:
Worst post I've read for a while.  M50 have nowhere near the soundstage of the AD700, and they're terrible for gaming.

I would say get HD555s and a <$10 desktop mic. The HD555s are harder to find now for cheap, but check the for sale section. Alternatively, AD700 + mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back