Best headphones for electronic music?
Feb 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 45
I would appreciate recommendations for both dance music as well as 'spacious' music, like ambient, minimal and soundtracks, like Tron, Inception, Dark Knight.

PRO900 or 2900. :p

No but seriously, the 2900 are probably what I'd pick between the two; both are very good, and if the 2900 don't come down in price soon I'll tell you to get the 900 (it's not that the 2900 are overpriced at full MSRP, it's that the 900 are often available for about half that, and basically just as good).

But if you want to move away from Ultrasone, there's other headphones to be considered, that will be just as enjoyable (albeit quite different) imho:

Discontinued:
- Sony MDR-SA5000
- Denon AH-D2000
- Sony MDR-F1*

Still in production afaik:
- Kenwood KH-K1000
- Koss MV1*
- AKG K701*

Not all of these are bass-heavy (most of them aren't), but I enjoy them all quite a bit with the kind of music you're talking about (especially ambient and/or electronica). The Sonys will probably have the least bass of all mentioned, but are still (imho) fantastic with something like the Tron OST or AFX thanks to their fast, light, and punchy presentation; the Denon and Kenwood will give you a smoother presentation (Kenwood being smoother than Denon) than the Ultrasones, with similar amounts of bass (Kenwood go lower but aren't as punchy). The Koss and AKG are kind of odd-balls on the list; the Koss are fairly bright and lively sounding, with decent bass extension but not tons of slam, while the AKG are fairly leveled-out overall, but offer a very spacious and airy presentation (and are relatively fast) that lends itself to a lot of things beyond going "boom boom boom."

I'm not sure how I'd rank all of the above plus the Ultrasones overall, even with additional bounding - I think the PRO2900 do a fantastic job, but I also think the others can be just as enjoyable. It really becomes preferential (and potentially limited by budget and availability as well). Basically you need to determine if you like a very punchy/crunchy sound, or a very smooth/airy sound, and then how important gobs of bass are to your enjoyment of music. And then go from there.

I'd basically organize them like this:

Punchy + Bass:
PRO900
PRO2900

Punchy + Not A Lot of Bass:
MV1
SA5000

Smooth + Bass:
D2000
K1000

Smooth + Not A Lot of Bass:
F1
K701

The ones with * after them need some thought given to what they're being plugged into as well, and the K701 and SA5000 only come with 1/4" terminations (stock).

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 45
Nobody gonna recommend the HE400? They have great Bass. I listen to Electronic and Dubstep most of the time, and I use the HE400s more often than I do my Pro 900s. The Pro 900s have more Bass but the highs can get a little fatiguing. Overall I like the HE400s better. Easier to listen to for a long time. The Pro 900s are impressive at first, but after a while you begin to see their shortcomings. Still a very fun HP but not as clean as it could be. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 45
If the HE-400 is in the price range, I'd suggest them strongly - I heard them briefly and thought they were pretty great. It's true, the only Ultrasone I heard as the Pro900, but the highs were very piercing to me and overall it was fatiguing and harsh. To give context, my favorite headphones that I've owned in the past few years have been the Denon D5000, HE-6 and LCD-2. Only the D5000 (used) would fit in the topic creator's budget, I think, and I'd suggest that over the Ultrasones. However, everyone's ears are different and there are certainly many people who are not offended by the Pro900 sound signature.   

For electronic, I mostly listen to trance and house. Some dubstep, some drum & bass, some ambient.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:
PRO900 or 2900.
tongue.gif

No but seriously, the 2900 are probably what I'd pick between the two; both are very good, and if the 2900 don't come down in price soon I'll tell you to get the 900 (it's not that the 2900 are overpriced at full MSRP, it's that the 900 are often available for about half that, and basically just as good).

But if you want to move away from Ultrasone, there's other headphones to be considered, that will be just as enjoyable (albeit quite different) imho:

Discontinued:
- Sony MDR-SA5000
- Denon AH-D2000
- Sony MDR-F1*

Still in production afaik:
- Kenwood KH-K1000
- Koss MV1*
- AKG K701*

Not all of these are bass-heavy (most of them aren't), but I enjoy them all quite a bit with the kind of music you're talking about (especially ambient and/or electronica). The Sonys will probably have the least bass of all mentioned, but are still (imho) fantastic with something like the Tron OST or AFX thanks to their fast, light, and punchy presentation; the Denon and Kenwood will give you a smoother presentation (Kenwood being smoother than Denon) than the Ultrasones, with similar amounts of bass (Kenwood go lower but aren't as punchy). The Koss and AKG are kind of odd-balls on the list; the Koss are fairly bright and lively sounding, with decent bass extension but not tons of slam, while the AKG are fairly leveled-out overall, but offer a very spacious and airy presentation (and are relatively fast) that lends itself to a lot of things beyond going "boom boom boom."

I'm not sure how I'd rank all of the above plus the Ultrasones overall, even with additional bounding - I think the PRO2900 do a fantastic job, but I also think the others can be just as enjoyable. It really becomes preferential (and potentially limited by budget and availability as well). Basically you need to determine if you like a very punchy/crunchy sound, or a very smooth/airy sound, and then how important gobs of bass are to your enjoyment of music. And then go from there.

I'd basically organize them like this:

Punchy + Bass:
PRO900
PRO2900

Punchy + Not A Lot of Bass:
MV1
SA5000

Smooth + Bass:
D2000
K1000

Smooth + Not A Lot of Bass:
F1
K701

The ones with * after them need some thought given to what they're being plugged into as well, and the K701 and SA5000 only come with 1/4" terminations (stock).

Thanks a lot for your post. It makes many things clearer to me now.

Normally I would say I need some good bass for my music enjoyment. However I am very interested in trying something like K701 or SA5000. If I only have an opportunity I will do it.

I used to have D2000 and now have D7000, but it doesn't give me enough air/spaciousness and is not fast enough for many kinds of electronic music.

I must try the Ultrasones and see if it's not too bassy or too harsh in treble for me. It does sound promising from the descriptions.

What about Beyerdynamics? Are there any models well suited for electronic music there?

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:
Nobody gonna recommend the HE400? They have great Bass. I listen to Electronic and Dubstep most of the time, and I use the HE400s more often than I do my Pro 900s. The Pro 900s have more Bass but the highs can get a little fatiguing. Overall I like the HE400s better. Easier to listen to for a long time. The Pro 900s are impressive at first, but after a while you begin to see their shortcomings. Still a very fun HP but not as clean as it could be. 

Quote:
If the HE-400 is in the price range, I'd suggest them strongly - I heard them briefly and thought they were pretty great. It's true, the only Ultrasone I heard as the Pro900, but the highs were very piercing to me and overall it was fatiguing and harsh. To give context, my favorite headphones that I've owned in the past few years have been the Denon D5000, HE-6 and LCD-2. Only the D5000 (used) would fit in the topic creator's budget, I think, and I'd suggest that over the Ultrasones. However, everyone's ears are different and there are certainly many people who are not offended by the Pro900 sound signature.   

For electronic, I mostly listen to trance and house. Some dubstep, some drum & bass, some ambient.

I have HE-400. I bought it a just few days ago as the headphone for electronic music and a complimentary headphone to my LCD-2.
At first I've been a bit disappointed with HE-400 as it sounded quite similar to LCD-2, but with some things doing worse (tizziness in treble, not as flat as LCD-2, sounding harsher).
But now, I am realizing I start to like the characteristics of this headphone more and more. HE-400 is definitely more airy, open and spacious than LCD-2. It is also more punchy and also has a great bass. The treble doesn't bother me much with electronic music (it bothers me with female vocals, but for this I have LCD-2). 

I still need time to get to know HE-400. Maybe I will love it and won't look for anything else for electronic music. Or maybe I will want even more open and airy headphone. for this genre. I realize however that it might be almost impossible to find a headphone with full-bodied sound, impactful bass and airy/spacious and fast presentation at the same time.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #21 of 45
Thanks a lot for your post. It makes many things clearer to me now.

Normally I would say I need some good bass for my music enjoyment. However I am very interested in trying something like K701 or SA5000. If I only have an opportunity I will do it.

I used to have D2000 and now have D7000, but it doesn't give me enough air/spaciousness and is not fast enough for many kinds of electronic music.

If the Denon aren't fast enough, I'd probably point you to PRO2900/900, SA5000, and F1 first - K701 and MV1 second. That's also ordered.

What about Beyerdynamics? Are there any models well suited for electronic music there?

I am not a fan of Beyerdynamic in the least. :ph34r:

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:
If the Denon aren't fast enough, I'd probably point you to PRO2900/900, SA5000, and F1 first - K701 and MV1 second. That's also ordered.
I am not a fan of Beyerdynamic in the least.
ph34r.gif

There is one more important question - do PRO2900/900, SA5000 or F1 play overall on the level close to LCD-2 or HE-400? Taking their price under consideration I am afraid they might lack overall sound quality. 

Have you every tried Ultrasone Signature Pro?

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #24 of 45
There is one more important question - do PRO2900/900, SA5000 or F1 play 
overall 
on the level close to LCD-2 or HE-400? Taking their price under consideration I am afraid they might lack overall sound quality. 

I have not tried any of the planar magnetics, but I have no issues with any of the headphones I suggested alongside my electrostats or woodies. :cool:

"Overall sound quality" is kind of a myth imho. :xf_eek:

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:
I have not tried any of the planar magnetics, but I have no issues with any of the headphones I suggested alongside my electrostats or woodies.
cool.gif

"Overall sound quality" is kind of a myth imho.
redface.gif

OK:)
I believe now it's the time for me to find an opportunity to audition the headphones you've suggested.
Thanks for your help!

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:
If you never got one of  the Ultrasones, just get the PL/Pro-650. if you'll ready have one of the Ultrasone models, get the K702 with a good system.

I've only auditioned Edition 10 once, but it's probably something completely different. I am really curious about the PRO models. I will try to audition them to get an idea.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:
I've only auditioned Edition 10 once, but it's probably something completely different. I am really curious about the PRO models. I will try to audition them to get an idea.

I'm curious about Ed10, in my experience with the Pro models the 650 is the most balanced one, I mean the Pro-750/900 are too much bassy for me.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Yes  and I had he-400 too.

For EDM , IMO he-400 is better for ambient, Downtempo and some Dubstep due to its fastness and overall clarity. Sig pro is the best when a more meaty sound is needed . Sig pro is more "realistic" and intimate. SP and he400 bass are equal in quantity and quality but different . Spacious and clear with he-400 , bodied  energetic and lively with Sig pro.

For example.  take this Infected Mushroom track :

With he-400 it seems you can hear and visualize noise from everywhere in soundstage, you can contemplate and follow sound objects very precisely as you can observ Little fish in an aquarium. it's really an impressive show but....

With an Ultrasone Sig pro.. ( and  I think is even more true for pro2900 or 900) , you didn't observe a little distant magnificent show anymore.. you' re plunged into the Music. Bass begun visceral , you feel physically the Music and overal sound become less sparkly but more realistic, more meaty

So , it's why I like more the he-400 for more relaxed listening of Ambient/Downtempo and Sig pro to really get a more lively experience.  IMO it's a matter of preference . it depends too o f what your listen to besides EDM.  For Rock/Metal I would choose he-400 . For Jazz, Classical , Soul, Funk,...Utrasone Sig pro.

I Hope to be  understandable .
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back