Best headphones for electronic music?
Feb 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Revroo

New Head-Fier
Hi im thinking of getting some new cans ive got about a £350 budget. i listen to mainly electronic music such as, Electro house, Synth pop, dubstep and electro swing. I have no idea where to start realy ive heard some people say that the AKG K702s are good as well as the sennhiser 650s. any suggestions for headphones would be nice. as for a amp im thinking of getting a FiiO E9 and then a FiiO e7 DAC at a later date.
Thanks in advance :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 45
Hi im thinking of getting some new cans ive got about a £350 budget. i listen to mainly electronic music such as, Electro house, Synth pop, dubstep and electro swing. I have no idea where to start realy ive heard some people say that the AKG K702s are good as well as the sennhiser 650s. any suggestions for headphones would be nice. as for a amp im thinking of getting a FiiO E9 and then a FiiO e7 DAC at a later date.
Thanks in advance :)r

Ultrasone, but not sure which model. Anyone?

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 45
Ultrasone Pro 900

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 45
so would you say the ultrasone pro 900s are better than the hd 650s? i mean weather or not they are closed or open dosent bother me im only gona be using them in my home any way. from what I've seen i can get them for a similar price so don't worry about price in the comparison either 

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 45
I'd vote Ultrasone - PRO900 or 2900. The 900 have more bass and somewhat less mids, while the 2900 are more balanced (still quite bassy overall, but the 900 are much heavier down low). I think just for electronic the 900 would be more fun, but overall I like the 2900 better. Comfort is about equal (as they're basically the same physical design).

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:
I'd vote Ultrasone - PRO900 or 2900. The 900 have more bass and somewhat less mids, while the 2900 are more balanced (still quite bassy overall, but the 900 are much heavier down low). I think just for electronic the 900 would be more fun, but overall I like the 2900 better. Comfort is about equal (as they're basically the same physical design).

Which one has a better soundstage (deep and spacious) and which is speedier, faster?

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 45
Which one has a better soundstage (deep and spacious) and which is speedier, faster?

Soundstage is fairly similar (both are S-LOGIC Plus), speed is fairly similar. PRO2900 probably has a slight edge in speed (but it may just be because they aren't as flush with bass that they seem this way), but they're pretty similar headphones apart from tonal balance (and if you swap the pads, even that becomes fairly similar).

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:
Just to throw my opinion in, I don't like any of the Ultrasones I've heard, but I wouldn't mind using a Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 for electronic music.

I am afraid Sennheiser wouldn't be speedy enough for this kind of music.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 45
Maybe it was the amplification I heard it on, but I always thought the ultrasones (pro900) sounded very harsh to my ears. At that price range I'd rather hear something smoother. Maybe Denons? 

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 45
The Ultrasone Pro models do tend to be on the aggressive side on the high end but this does depend on amplification too. Although my Pro 750 isn't as bad as the Grado SR80 I used to have. Also depends on what you compare them to.

Joshua

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 45
Maybe it was the amplification I heard it on, but I always thought the ultrasones (pro900) sounded very harsh to my ears. At that price range I'd rather hear something smoother. Maybe Denons? 

Are the PRO900 the only model you've heard? The 900 are bright and aggressive - if you're used to the very mushy and dark Sennheiser sound as "neutral" I could see them being "harsh" to you. Like Joshua said - depends on what they're being compared to, and how.

Personally I don't think the Senns are terrible for electronic music, but I'd prefer something punchier myself. Ultrasone is a good example, but not the only game in town (it also really depends on what we're meaning by "electronic music" - I've noted that in modern parlance, that's usually one-note boom-boom-boom-step, but it's a fairly wide genre).

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:
Are the PRO900 the only model you've heard? The 900 are bright and aggressive - if you're used to the very mushy and dark Sennheiser sound as "neutral" I could see them being "harsh" to you. Like Joshua said - depends on what they're being compared to, and how.

Personally I don't think the Senns are terrible for electronic music, but I'd prefer something punchier myself. Ultrasone is a good example, but not the only game in town (it also really depends on what we're meaning by "electronic music" - I've noted that in modern parlance, that's usually one-note boom-boom-boom-step, but it's a fairly wide genre).

I would appreciate recommendations for both dance music as well as 'spacious' music, like ambient, minimal and soundtracks, like Tron, Inception, Dark Knight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back