Best headphones for EDM
Mar 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

The 750's are actually an option I am sort of considering now that you point it out. Do you think the 900 isn't worth the extra 75?

I have not heard the Pro 900 myself so can't comment on how they fare against 750 but opinions on the 900 are quite polarized so 750 might be a safer choice there.

Another option is Sennheiser Amperior which you can get for <200 refurbished. They're excellent (bass, details and speed are great for EDM) if you don't might on-ear design and a pretty tight clam.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #18 of 41
I own the M50s. I haven't heard the Ultrasone Pro line, but I have listened extensively to the HFI-580s and HFI-780s. I find the bass in those Ultrasones preferable to the M50s. The M50s are a demure sounding headphone to me, the kind you kick back on the couch and listen to EDM. The Ultrasone HFI series is the kind that makes you want to kick your feet, more like the feeling you are in a club. They drag you into the music. Way more engaging than the M50s. Consequently, the M50s are in my office at work for use for background music. Can't use my HFI-780s for that (the 580s are my son's) because I start paying too much attention to the music :D

Based on everything I have read, I would imagine the Ultrasone Pro line will have the same engaging effect, but with even a more refined sound. I cannot imagine you would be disappointed.

However, even the HFI series benefits from a headphone amp. The bass is slightly tighter and more pronounced. I understand that the Pro line benefits even a little more. So I would go with the 750s and an amp, over the 900s and no amp.

As far as which on you should get of the 900 vs 750 to best fit your listening tastes? Ask in the Ultrasone owners thread. Plenty of people with lots of Ultrasone experience: http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #19 of 41
Ok so my new question. Judging from those frequency charts, the ultrasone and the m50 have pretty much the same bass until mid bass and higher. Is it worth me spending 300 dollars or more to upgrade from my current pair? Is there enough difference in sound that I will immediately notice the difference between the two in terms of bass? I was thinking that maybe buying the digizoid and the q40 would satisfy my needs for 75-100 dollars less, I'm just scared that the q40 won't really be a great upgrade choice since that's also what I'm looking for, an upgrade...what do you guys think?

I haven't heard the Q40 in quite a while, so answering this specifically is a bit rough. But I really am not a fan of the M50 - they're boomy and congested sounding imho. And so uncomfortable. The PRO900 are a considerably better headphone overall (they aren't *just* a bass blaster - you can actually listen to music with them :p). You'll have much better imaging, and comfort, and a very engaging and rich sound (as cel4145 mentioned). I wouldn't rely on an FR chart to be so predictive (it's only one piece of the puzzle after all).

wrt the Q40, I feel like you're probably right that they would be more of a "different, not better" kind of purchase.

As far as the HFI-2400 goes - I'd probably vote "pass" there; they're on the slower side, and somewhat dark; I think they do better with grunge and similar music, as opposed to electronica. This isn't to say they can't do electronica, but I'd rather have the 900s (or ideally, the 2900s (which have less bass than the 900, but are oh-so-much-more balanced sounding)). That having been said, for ~$180-$200 the HFI-2400 are a good value, and I'd gladly suggest them as an upgrade from the M50.

Regarding the Sony XB - I haven't heard the old ones, but I demo'd the new X10 (which I've read are either "cloned" from the XB800 or the XB900), and was not really impressed. They're not really offensive, but they're still somewhat congested, bass-driven, and have rolled-down highs (they aren't harsh or sibilant though, and that's a common complaint about the PRO900 - so maybe they're worth a look if you're sensitive to treble).

Overall my top pick would be the PRO2900, and then the PRO900, and then the HFI-2400 (and that probably lines up with pricing too :frowning2:). The X10 should be available for demonstration at Best Buy (that's where I tried them), so you could get an idea of those without paying for them.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:
I know the Pro 900's will give you bass quantity and quality. I had one of the old XB series and didn't like it; I hear the new ones are worse.

Correct on all fronts!

The 900's will give you everything that you need and then some. Great value for the money and they can be had for around $220 on eBay used if you aren't against that. 

The old Sony line was fun for a song or two or to show your friends that a $50 pair of headphones can kill the Beats in the one thing they do best but that is about it. Take them outside and prepare for the looks and people making gestures like your about to land a plane... 

The "New" Sony line is well...Umm... I was once told that if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all so...

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

I have not heard the Pro 900 myself so can't comment on how they fare against 750 but opinions on the 900 are quite polarized so 750 might be a safer choice there.

Another option is Sennheiser Amperior which you can get for <200 refurbished. They're excellent (bass, details and speed are great for EDM) if you don't might on-ear design and a pretty tight clam.

The 750's are basically a watered down version of the 900's. Not as exciting but not as hit or miss like the 900's. So yes they are the safer choice but a bit boring and will probably be sold a lot faster than if you owned the 900's. Still a very good can and a safer pick, but when did Bassheads become rational and do the safe thing?? 

Amperior's refurbished on VMinnovations for $167. Probably gonna pick up a pair myself for those exact same reasons you mentioned. Plus they're just so damn sexy in that blue. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

The 750's are basically a watered down version of the 900's. Not as exciting but not as hit or miss like the 900's. So yes they are the safer choice but a bit boring and will probably be sold a lot faster than if you owned the 900's. Still a very good can and a safer pick, but when did Bassheads become rational and do the safe thing?? 

Amperior's refurbished on VMinnovations for $167. Probably gonna pick up a pair myself for those exact same reasons you mentioned. Plus they're just so damn sexy in that blue. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Don't do it, the Amperior are just ok for EDm nothing special about them, i had them for 2 weeks and return them.
Try this http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-HP100-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0086YJ86Y

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 41
There are some 770's going for 125 right now, and they are tempting me so badly...

It's either buy those now or just be really patient and wait for the 900's.
Why can't we just have unlimited money?

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #27 of 41
Like you I listen to mainly EDM and while I just got into headphones (moving from IEM in which I've had many) the HE-400 is awesome for electronic music.  The highs are crisp and at first they were a bit harsh to me because I listen to mainly warmer IEM's but after I got use to them I love the way they sound and are very detailed.  Mids are very good and the bass is some of the best I've heard as its clean and goes quite deep and you can make them hit pretty hard with some boost.  Soundstage is one of my favorite parts as it very wide with nice depth and height along with good imaging and separation.  You can get a good used pair like I did for around $300 to $350 but for $400 new is well worth it imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back