Best Headphones for EDM/Classical/Everything else under $300
May 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

johnnyqm

New Head-Fier
I know there's likely a thread that I haven't found named something similar, but I need some direct advice because I'm relatively new to this.

My max (for the headphones, (portable) Amp/DAC comes later please disregard) is $300. They need to be portable, closed and be relatively mobile device friendly (a bit forgiving).

I listen to modern classical/cinematic music such as but not limited to Two Steps From Hell, E.S. Posthumus and City of the Fallen, along with many movie score composers like Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Steve Jablonski and James Newton Howard. 

The other half of my playlist is a bit broader, this includes heavy trap, drumstep/DnB like Pendulum and Noisia, dubstep like xKore, Kill Paris's signature future funk, The Glitch Mob, house and trance from Avicii, Hardwell, Zedd, Swedish House Mafia and the like, and that's only a tiny sample of it.

I listen to whatever happens to please me at that moment, EDM and Classical are the mainstays, but I also occasionally listen to Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones, or The Lightning Strike by Snow Patrol, or Muddy Waters. So I need some kind of cans that will essentially complement absolutely any kind of music with clarity and a bit of accuracy. I like bass, loud but absolutely not in any way overpowering to the rest of the frequency range and sibilant/way too bright cans will be burned and cursed by a gypsy if they touch my ears. I also don't want to spend $150 on 'great value headphones' when I could get better at $250. 

I am considering V-Moda M100s, but I want to make 1000% sure I don't miss out a better set of cans.

Thank you 1 millions times over in advance, I know this may be a lot to ask for.

May 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 14
I tried the M100s briefly and I don't think they'd work too well for classical.  If you're going the bass-heavy(-ier) route I think the DT 770 Pro 80s would do better, since they're cleaner and have a better soundstage than the M100s.  You might also look into the SoundMAGIC HP100s, which I think are fantastic all-rounders.

May 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I tried the M100s briefly and I don't think they'd work too well for classical.  If you're going the bass-heavy(-ier) route I think the DT 770 Pro 80s would do better, since they're cleaner and have a better soundstage than the M100s.  You might also look into the SoundMAGIC HP100s, which I think are fantastic all-rounders.

Do you own a decent headphone amp? If so, the general consensus about the DT-770 PRO 250's is that they perform better than the 80's.

By the way, I have very similar tastes and am currently looking at the DT-770. However, if you can afford them (usually found at 350-400$), the Denon AH-D2000 are supposedly better with a very full and more balanced tonality (no recessed mids), but still with a similar deep extended bass response.

May 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 14
I found a pair of DT 770 Pro-80 headphones for sale used in my area for $175 that says they were rarely used, I also found some Sennheiser Momentums for $200 that practically weren't used at all because they didn't fit the guy's ears right. How do the Momentums sound? I looked at them briefly but they were a bit out of my price range.

May 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
I found a pair of DT 770 Pro-80 headphones for sale used in my area for $175 that says they were rarely used, I also found some Sennheiser Momentums for $200 that practically weren't used at all because they didn't fit the guy's ears right. How do the Momentums sound? I looked at them briefly but they were a bit out of my price range.

The Momentums are praised for their sound quality but have less bass and as you said, are known to have fitting issues (their pads are quite small and are often incomfortable for people with ears that either stand out a little bit or are larger than normal). If you are confident that your ears are small enough, then I guess you'd be okay, but obviously you'd be taking a risk.

Still, Tyll Herstens of innerfidelity, whose opinions carry a lot of weight around this forum, has very positive things to say about them : http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-adult-sennheiser-momentum. At 200$, that seems to be quite a good deal. However, I haven't tried them myself either so I can't do much more than provide you with information I gathered from (trusted) reviewers. 

Now, as Marximus said, 175$ is not cheap at all for used DT-770s. For example, I bought a pair off the trade forum here on Head-Fi for just 100$ + shipping (here's a classified ad for 110$, created just 2 days ago : http://www.head-fi.org/t/665388/beyerdynamic-dt770-250ohm-pro), and you can find them brand new on eBay for around 165-170$... 

May 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 14
After more research, I believe the Momentums will fit my needs more than the 770/80s. The $200 ones have sold, but I found some in an area I frequently travel to for $250, so I'm considering them next time I'm down there. Does anyone have any experience with them regarding their performance for EDM and classical?

May 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 14
If I were to spend $300 on a closed hp and had an amp...Maddogs no question about it. They work well for your preferred music. 

May 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 14
I don't know from personal experience but I happened upon a website dedicated (they say) to classical headphones and in their under $300 category the number 1 pick was the Sennheiser HD598. Their price is no object pick was, of course, the HD800. Pretty interesting site, if you do a google for classical headphones maybe you can find it.

May 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
I don't know from personal experience but I happened upon a website dedicated (they say) to classical headphones and in their under $300 category the number 1 pick was the Sennheiser HD598. Their price is no object pick was, of course, the HD800. Pretty interesting site, if you do a google for classical headphones maybe you can find it.

I would go Beyer T1 over HD800 any day.

May 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 14
Well I can say the HD800s and Beyer T1s are slight bit out of my price range 
L3000.gif
 I've heard nothing but good things about the Mad Dogs though, I'll have to research them a little more.

May 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #13 of 14
You won't get as much "air" and sense of space that you do with the maddogs as you would on a fully open hp...but, it's darn good for a closed hp. That's the worst I can say about the MD and classical. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back