Best Headphones For Dubstep
Jun 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

egyst1

New Head-Fier
Looking for some headphones that have an awesome sound quality for dubstep and techno, also reg music to, anyway my budgets like $300, let me know ur thoughts thanks

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 19
srry forgot to put that looking for more portable, and my music player is the samsung galaxy s stats are as follows 
Test Frequency response Noise level Dynamic range THD IMD + Noise Stereo crosstalk
Samsung I9000 Galaxy S +0.03 -0.04 -90.7 90.6 0.014 0.019 -90.6

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 19
Heya,

Willing to wear big headphones? Willing to get an amplifier? You can get all that in the $300 range.

Fiio E7 (or E11 since you already have a DAC/Music player) + BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 80's. That's $300. That's serious bass, and good sound quality on top of it. Portable. Very comfortable. Looks nice too (not goofy like Sony XB700's, but that's just my opinion of course).

I'm biased though--I use a similar setup for Dub & other electronic musics (Deadmau5, Skrillex, etc).

As a note on bass ability, the DT770 Pro's can play this sample without flubbing, tight, controlled, and clear. It's sick. These things are bass monsters.

Very best,

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 19
ATH-M50

I really can't place a good headphone on Dubstep, we get a lot of people asking for a good can for them and the truth is: No can, can handle it. I'm saying this because the music has no theory to back it. IMO

ATH-M50's would give you a good all around range, including substantial bass and good portability with that ability to not need a amp.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 19
This type of question comes up a bit. Sad fact is, no matter how bass heavy your cans are they're just not going to reproduce those same gut-kicking subsonic frequencies you hear in the club. Headphone drivers just don't have the reach of subwoofers. You can kind of come close but you'll still have to be envisioning in your head what that club system sounds like.

I've always thought it would be cool to incorporate a subwoofer or Buttkicker into a headphone setup. Something to add some physicality to the subbass frequencies. Haven't seen anyone pull this off yet though. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 19
x2, since the human body absorb bass, stand alone woofers would be much more powerful than headphone in term of quantity of the bass. So you never get that punch in ur chest from Headphone, however, it can provide you much better in term of quality 

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 19
how bout ultrasone pro 900?

you can get it for around 320...

I get mine tomorrow so I can share impressions, but it will strictly be for dubstep... I can't wait, I just hope I haven't set my expectations too high

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Heya,

Willing to wear big headphones? Willing to get an amplifier? You can get all that in the $300 range.

Fiio E7 (or E11 since you already have a DAC/Music player) + BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 80's. That's $300. That's serious bass, and good sound quality on top of it. Portable. Very comfortable. Looks nice too (not goofy like Sony XB700's, but that's just my opinion of course).

I'm biased though--I use a similar setup for Dub & other electronic musics (Deadmau5, Skrillex, etc).

As a note on bass ability, the DT770 Pro's can play this sample without flubbing, tight, controlled, and clear. It's sick. These things are bass monsters.

Very best,

Is that sample a real test for bassy headphones?

I tried with my Denon AD-H1100 and it sounds pretty good, except for the really low note that doesn't sound smooth like the others. It doesn't sound constant.

Seriously, is it supposed to sound that way or did I just find a fault in my cans?

If it is a fault, i'll let it slide. Had to put on a dedicated bass test to find it.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 19
Jun 24, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 19
Congrats on the purchase!  I just actually bought a pair of AT myself.  Hope you like them!

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 19
thx man, but the question still stands on whether or not i need an amp, and ive heard of rooting my android samsung phone so i can install voodoo which apparently increases auidio greatly if anyone knows anything about that input would be great

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 19
Whether you need an amp will be up to your own ears. I have not heard strongly on either side. But I would think that using a different amp than your music player will change the sound. The question that will remain, is whether you like it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back