Best Headphones For Dubstep and Trap : Under $165
Mar 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #46 of 736
Quote:
Interesting...Which of the two (ATH-A900X and Custom One Pro) would be best for non-EQ or non-Amp use?

Also, what are those wire thingies on the top of the ATH-A900X's called?

Wire thingies are called wings and the COP's do not need any amping whatsoever. Actually I wouldn't amp the COP's at all. They can't really handle it.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #47 of 736
Quote:
Also, I've heard that the Beyerdynamic DT-770's aren't good for listening, but are really good for mixing.

False! Well, false in my opinion. They present the entire sound spectrum pretty well, and can be used for many genres of music, but their U-shaped frequency response (bass and treble emphasis) makes me not want to mix with them. Musically, they are awesome at Dubstep 'n' Trap, as well as just about any other genre, except maybe classical and jazz. A lot of bass-heavy cans don't play rock well, but the DT 770s surprisingly do. Rap sounds great, Soul sounds great, gah, they do a lot of stuff well. As you may have seen, Beyerdynamic offers those as both "Premium" and "Pro" models. The pros are the less expensive ones, and can be had if you stretch your budget just a little for shipping. They also come in different impedance settings, 32, 80, 250, and 600 Ohms. The 32 and 80 Ohm models are a tad too bassy, but the 250 and 600 Ohm settings have a nice curve from the bass down the the mids and back up to the treble. you'll need an amp to use those to their full potential though.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #48 of 736
What would your source be? Depends on whether the output of your source is already amplified or not. If you're talking iPod, then I'd say COPs or something similar with low impedance. Mixers, their outputs could be amped so its worth while to match headphones to your equipment.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #49 of 736
Quote:
Wire thingies are called wings and the COP's do not need any amping whatsoever. Actually I wouldn't amp the COP's at all. They can't really handle it.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I heard that Beyerdynamic was going to release more colors for the COP's on a review I watched. Approximately when will this happen?

Originally Posted by wes008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

False! Well, false in my opinion. They present the entire sound spectrum pretty well, and can be used for many genres of music, but their U-shaped frequency response (bass and treble emphasis) makes me not want to mix with them. Musically, they are awesome at Dubstep 'n' Trap, as well as just about any other genre, except maybe classical and jazz. A lot of bass-heavy cans don't play rock well, but the DT 770s surprisingly do. Rap sounds great, Soul sounds great, gah, they do a lot of stuff well. As you may have seen, Beyerdynamic offers those as both "Premium" and "Pro" models. The pros are the less expensive ones, and can be had if you stretch your budget just a little for shipping. They also come in different impedance settings, 32, 80, 250, and 600 Ohms. The 32 and 80 Ohm models are a tad too bassy, but the 250 and 600 Ohm settings have a nice curve from the bass down the the mids and back up to the treble. you'll need an amp to use those to their full potential though.

If I was going to buy the DT-770's, I would probably get the 80 Ohms (Although if anyone could find a 32ohm DT-770 under $150 I would get that).

Sorry for my nooby-ness on "Headphones Ed", but as in 'amp' do you mean like something you can just download from the internet? Or...

Originally Posted by areinike /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What would your source be? Depends on whether the output of your source is already amplified or not. If you're talking iPod, then I'd say COPs or something similar with low impedance. Mixers, their outputs could be amped so its worth while to match headphones to your equipment.

My source? I pretty much use my laptop for music, so my source would be my laptop.

List So Far:
------------------
1. Custom One Pro
2. Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 Ohms
3. V-Moda Crossfade LP
4. Sony MDR-XB500
5. Audio-Technica M-50

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #50 of 736
Amp is a seperate device you plug between your laptop audio jack and your headphone jack.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #55 of 736
Take a look at the Ultrasone HFI-580 or DJ1.  Those offer excellent amounts of bass.  I've had no issues with them at all.  I would put them up against anything Skullcandy or Beats has to offer.  Could be more comfortable though.  The pads are rather stiff. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #56 of 736
The HFI-580's have a tiny padding on the underside of the headband. Is there any discomfort on your head whatsoever?

Also, which would be better. The Crossfade LPs with Amp or the HFI-580 without Amp?

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #58 of 736
Quote:
Are the Hesh 2's really bad compared to some other headphones I'm researching? (ATH-PRO700MK2, ATH-M50, Crossfade LP, etc.)

The other headphones you're looking at are truly audiophile/music pleasure headphones, while the Hesh 2s are more aimed at the consumer market. Not that that's a bad thing, but you'll definitely get better with the others. Also, I know you're looking at the M50, they're about the same price now as the Crossfade LP (in some cases more expensive) and of it's between those two, no contest, the Crossfade LP is the better pick. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #59 of 736
Alright, I think I've narrowed it down a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
2. V-MODA Crossfade LP
3. Sony MDR-XB500
4. Ultrasone HFI-580

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure it's down to those four now, unless someone suggest something.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #60 of 736
Quote:
Alright, I think I've narrowed it down a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
2. V-MODA Crossfade LP
3. Sony MDR-XB500
4. Ultrasone HFI-580

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure it's down to those four now, unless someone suggest something.

Looks like a pretty strong list. All good brands with a strong Bass emphasis. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back