Best headphones for classic music
Oct 27, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #33 of 40
I received AKG K712 Pro. It's very good. The decay is very short and makes the music very clean.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #34 of 40
This question is meant for everyone. What is it like listening to organ music on the Sennheiser phones like the HD-5xx or the HD-6xx. Does the open back make it better or worse for the low passages? I have been a little cautious going down the open back road.

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #37 of 40
  Please list 1-3 in order that you have used for classic music.

This is a difficult question: the answer partly depends on the source and the type of classical music.  Still, here is my list:
(Stax SR-44: since this is no longer working, and I did not have any of the others when it worked, I cannot reliably compare it; from memory, it is number one at least for baroque music and some opera.)
AKG Q701 (bass modded)
Beyerdynamic DT250-250
Creative Aurvana Live! (CAL!)

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #39 of 40
I already love this thread. Looking forward to trying out the other headphones people have recommended so far.

I enjoy the 650, too. I also recommend the K712 Pro, which has exceptional imaging and enough in the lower end to capture the resonances of cellos, basses, drums. I should also mention the B&O H6, which has great treble extension, soundstage (for a closed portable) and clarity, though it can sound slightly tinny at times.

I'm looking forward to trying the HD 700, though the oft reported treble spike makes me a bit apprehensive.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #40 of 40
+1 on the DT250-250 (for a closed can).

Needs some serious power, though (but likes OTLs). Any system optimised for HD600s should drive it well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back