Best headphones for around $80
Aug 31, 2010 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zachcox

New Head-Fier
  Hello I'm new to head-fi and I'm looking for the best headphones for around $80. As for my preferences I'm looking for closed headphones, and I would like a flat frequency. Basically I don't want any frequencies to be overpowering with good tonality. I really like the Grado SR-125's but they are a little over my price range and they have terrible isolation.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 13
flat freq response is overrated!

I am also having trouble thinking of anything closed in the $80 range that will give you a flat-ish response. My recommendation actually is to go IEM instead if you are looking for isolation. The RE0 I heard might be close to what you are looking for... in an IEM.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Hello!
If you can find them (perhaps on ebay, though you might need to wait a while), the akg240 df's are supposed to have a terrifically flat frequency response and they can fall somewhere near this range.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/271258/headphone-buyer-s-guide

It's not too descriptive, but you can try searching for each headphone individually.
Another recommendation would be the SRH-440s

Though most headphones that are mentioned here don't have terribly distorted frequency responses or spikes like skull candy maybe except for ultrasone?

This is just a quick helper if a more experienced member does not come to respond immediately. 

Iems are a good choice too, for what you're looking for.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 13
I can bet you that people are going to suggest the M50, even though they are $100-$125.

It's worth going from an $80 headphone to a $100 headphone if you can afford it.

My favorite recently is the Koss Pro DJ 100. It's very neutral with it not doing too much of any one thing. You can listen to them for hours without them causing fatigue. They're $80 exactly. Maybe still on sale for $50.

I'd just listen to them at Best Buy if you can, or just buy a pair and return them if you don't like them.

I no longer suggest them without a decent amp though.

I also suggest the Creative Aurvana Live. You can't beat it's $65 price tag.

Both of the above headphones are closed, but for most the Creative is ON the ear and not over.

I also like the Koss UR-55. It's a good deal for $50, but I guess some people prefer the Porta Pro. I think the UR-55 is way more comfortable though.

EDIT: Ooops, UR-55 would not quite fit in the Flat-ish category, but close. It seems to have more bass then the DJ 100 and that's the only reason why.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 13
I was looking at the Denon ah-d1001k's I found them for $60 refurbished with manufacturers warranty I was thinking that those might be better that any of those listed in that list for my price range.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 13
I actually don't remember the D1001's very well. I know this sounds bad, but I remember them sounding very good for the price. In fact, the same day I tried them I also got in the SRH-840 and went with those instead.
Basically I felt that if I had to use a pair of under $70 headphone I would have picked the Creatives. They didn't make the DJ 100's though at the time. They do feel a bit cheap though I'm sorry to say, but they're only $65!

If you primarily want to use them with a portable device and for portable use without an amp, the D1001 is your best best. As you know probably, the D1001 and Creative Aurvana Live use the same drivers.

BTW the CAL and D1001 weigh almost nothing. The DJ 100 are much less portable and weight more. Not sure if this matters. It also has a stupid coiled cable.

If it was ME, i'd probably use the UR-55 over the Creative/D1001 due to them being an over the ear model and with a more solid build quality. I guess it all comes down to the sound signature you like.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 13
The Denons / Creatives (assuming the Creatives really do sound the same) are certainly very good for the money but they're quite un-Grado-like- a lot of midbass and slightly dull treble. I found my defoamed AKG K81DJ (street price around $70) a bit more neutral overall (but with a touch of boxy coloration in the midrange that is absent in the Denon.) The Denon is a lot more comfortable though.

If OP is willing to consider IEMs as an alternative to closed cans, the Etymotic MC5 is very neutral (and just plain very good) at $79. It has consigned my K81DJ to permanent residence in a dresser drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back