Best Headphones for around $300
Jan 10, 2011 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

comperic2003

New Head-Fier
I recently acquired $300 from selling textbooks and wish to purchase a pair of headphones.  As such, what are the best headphones for around $300? 

If possible, I would appreciate suggestions that do not require the use of an external amp.

My musical preferences are as follows:  The Beatles, Talking Heads, Sly and the Family Stone, Prince, Pink Floyd, Otis Redding, Roy Orbison, E.LO., Leonard Cohen, ABC, Kate Bush, some synth pop.

Musical genres I tend to avoid are Classical and Jazz.

Also, in musical reproduction, I tend to favor accuracy and a flat frequency response.

Thank you for your time.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Save another $100 and try to find a pair of used Audio Technica ATH-AD2000. Those are probably the best unamped headphones possibly other than a Grado.

There doesn't seem to be many good un-amped headphones around $300.

I would have said the Denon D2000 or some 32 ohm Beyers but I honestly can't suggest them without an amp, but you can try them un-amped.

I think you're better off just getting a pair of Shure SRH-840s. Keep your receipt in case you find them uncomfortable. I wouldn't pay over $150 for them though.

Or you can try to hunt down a Beyer Dynamic DT-880 32 ohm for under $250 and then get a cheap amp with the extra money.

An AKG K240 Studio and a cheap $50 amp would be a good $150 combination. Even better in some ways than the Shure SRH-840 since the comfort is far better.

If it was my money, I'd get a Total Airhead + Koss Pro DJ 100. Best sound you can get for $180 to my ears.

Sorry, I know you said no amps, but I think it's a mistake to spend $300 for a headphone without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back