Best Headphones for around $200 new,used,vintage
Jan 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
I really want the best overall sound ,so closed or open are both fine . Ive been offered a pair of  Grado SR325is for $220 how would these compare to the suggestions so far ?

Are those Grados new or used?, because thats a pretty good price.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
Are those Grados new or used?, because thats a pretty good price.

They have never been opened or used but they are from a private party that got them for Christmas and  decided He did not need them ,

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #18 of 24
Grados are open (leak a lot of sound), in my opinion most open headphones really do sound more 'open".

I can tell you people who like Grado LOVE the Grado sound, some folks say they are one of the best 'phones for Rock and guitars.
I like the Grado sound, my next headphone purchase will be Grado, maybe 225i or 325i or RS2i.
Depending on the model, they all have a certain amount of bass boost and treble boost.
OTOH, people who don't like Grado seem to HATE the Grado sound.

Is it possible for you to hear a pair before you buy?

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
I really want the best overall sound ,so closed or open are both fine . Ive been offered a pair of  Grado SR325is for $220 how would these compare to the suggestions so far ?

That's an amazing price, especially considering the condition (BNIB).  Just keep in mind that Grados tend to be very bright with harsh highs.  Personally, I find them un-listenable, but others love them.  If you can, try to get a listen with them before you buy - you'll either love them or hate them.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Grados are open (leak a lot of sound), in my opinion most open headphones really do sound more 'open".

I can tell you people who like Grado LOVE the Grado sound, some folks say they are one of the best 'phones for Rock and guitars.
I like the Grado sound, my next headphone purchase will be Grado, maybe 225i or 325i or RS2i.
Depending on the model, they all have a certain amount of bass boost and treble boost.
OTOH, people who don't like Grado seem to HATE the Grado sound.

Is it possible for you to hear a pair before you buy?

Grado's are only worth it up to the sr225i. At least thats what i hear.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
Grado's are only worth it up to the sr225i. At least thats what i hear.

This is more of an upgrade thing - it's not much worth paying $300 for the 325s, especially if you already own one of the lower models since they all use the same drivers.  However, for $220, the 325s are a steal.  If he thinks he'd like the sound, he should jump all over that.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 24
I took the Grado's and if they are not for me I can surely trade them off for something else later,

I had an interesting offer of a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's  that another Audio geek wanted to trade me for one of my Reel to Reels but from the research I have done on here it seems the kind of music I mostly listen to they would not be the best choice.

but they look impressive so I might do the swap just to see.

thanks for all the help

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #23 of 24
Best overall sound for what? For classical music, an open headphone like the HD598 is great. For bass heavy modern music, you will probably want a good closed headphone.
Do you prefer a bright or a warm headphone? Do you want it to sound natural or have extra bass? Which is the best color? You will get many different opinions on this.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
Best overall sound for what? For classical music, an open headphone like the HD598 is great. For bass heavy modern music, you will probably want a good closed headphone.
Do you prefer a bright or a warm headphone? Do you want it to sound natural or have extra bass? Which is the best color? You will get many different opinions on this.

from what others have said the Grado's I am getting are great for Rock and at the price I am paying they are worth the risk ,
I am not sure yet if I will go ahead and trade for the HD598's or not but I am leaning towards getting them because the Reel to Reel he wants in return is just setting in a box and who knows I may love the HD598's and if not they may be good to barter a good headphone amp later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back