Best Headphones for 500$ or less
Aug 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #31 of 34
The 1100's look great, a couple questions though. are they durable, are the cables replaceable in case one of them gets snagged and breaks, and should i get an amp for these, if so, what would be a good reccomendation.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:
The 1100's look great, a couple questions though. are they durable, are the cables replaceable in case one of them gets snagged and breaks, and should i get an amp for these, if so, what would be a good recommendation.

They're pretty durable.  I've had them for 8 months now and no complaints, even after a few trips and more than a few commutes (I live in NYC, so they're very handy on the train)

Cables are NOT replaceable.  At least not easily.  But everything oozes quality with this set.  I don't see it breaking easily.  Now, if durability is your primary concern, you might want to go with something else.  While there is no question that the 1100 is a well made product, they're simply not built to be tossed around and abused.  If that's the case, you may be more interested in the HD25s (though I hate the clamp and on-ears), which are made to withstand a nuclear winter.

The Sony's that I mentioned earlier are quite durable and great sounding as well (I can't stress how underrated that headphone is ... well these days at least, but in the 80s, it was tops)

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

My opinion is that they're very solidly built, plus they also have a carrying case that is pretty sturdy on the inside, so I really think you'd be fine taking them with you. If you're good about keeping them in the case during transport, I wouldn't be concerned at all. 

Of all the phones I've tried in this price point, they seem to use the highest quality build material. Further, these are the only pair that I'd feel comfortable with going from point A to B... especially with the nice carry case.  One other surprising thing is that despite the 80 ohm rating, they seem relatively easy to drive - comparable to other 30 ohm headphones. Maybe is the great seal they have?

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Of all the phones I've tried in this price point, they seem to use the highest quality build material. Further, these are the only pair that I'd feel comfortable with going from point A to B... especially with the nice carry case.  One other surprising thing is that despite the 80 ohm rating, they seem relatively easy to drive - comparable to other 30 ohm headphones. Maybe is the great seal they have?

I found the same thing...with my ZO2 amp, it's easier for me to get the volume I prefer on the 80 ohm 1350s than it is my 32 ohm Grados. I think it might be because the 1350s have a very high sensitivity rating of like 109db. I love that aspect of them, cause if I don't have my amp with me I can just use my iPhone or Kindle Fire...plenty of volume.  I don't know what my Grados are, but I know it's not as high as 109.

I agree about the durabilty, too. I have complete confidence transporting them, especially with the case. I really enjoy showing them off at work...several people I've demoed them for have never heard anything close to this in terms of quaity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back