Best Headphones for 50$
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Polyploidisation

New Head-Fier
Hello :smiley:

I would like to buy some new headphones for my computer.

I've done a little bit of research and these three models seem to be coming up quite often, so I'm wondering which one I should pick.
I've looked for threads like this but I could not find any conclusive answer and most of the time they weren't recent threads.

I will listen to music (classical music mostly, sometimes pop music) and play video games.
I will also buy a 10$ 3.5mm jack microphone.

Prices of these headphones in my country :
- Superlux HD668B + velvet pads (I've heard that stock ear pads were terrible) : 46.9€ / 55$
- JVC HARX700 : 35.31€ / 42$
- Sound Intone CX05 : 27€ / 32$

What do you think ? :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 17
If the HD668B's have treble like the original HD681's then you might find them harsh/sibilant. Supposedly, the HD681EVO fixes this.

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 17
I own the HD681 Evo and I would characterize it as actually tending to the warm side of the ledger rather than being sibilant or harsh. Just my $.02 and everyone's MMV, of course. Bass is very punchy and tight on the Evo, which some people enjoy. They have a nice soundstage as well, particularly for the money.

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 17

The quality of their products is terrible according to this Reddit post : https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/63q32a/dont_buy_from_status_audio_or_the_cb1s/

I own the HD681 Evo and I would characterize it as actually tending to the warm side of the ledger rather than being sibilant or harsh. Just my $.02 and everyone's MMV, of course. Bass is very punchy and tight on the Evo, which some people enjoy. They have a nice soundstage as well, particularly for the money.

Thank you for your reply !
I might actually buy the HD681-EVO then.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 17
If you can use on ears, the Beyerdynamic Custom Streets are being closed out at $60 or so down from $150. They sound much better than many under $100 cans.

Thank you for your reply.
The problem is that these headphones still cost 100€ / 124$ in my country. :weary:
And if I order them from Amazon.com they will cost 90$ / 76€ so... that's not going to work.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 17
sorry to hear they are so high in France. Perhaps a open box pair of inner fidelity wall of fame cans the Creative Aurvana live for 44 pounds on azon uk. Very decent especially for the price.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 17
Hey, I'm back :slight_smile:

I've been using my HD-681 EVO for maybe a week.
The sound quality is good, the soundstage is definitely wider than my Steelseries Siberia V2.
Nothing outstanding however. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to burn-in. Maybe it is a bit overhyped, I don't know.

I was not amazed by this pair of headphones, however at this price point, I still highly recommend it.
It will be more than enough for music & gaming. I don't think you will regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back