Best headphones for $200 +/-?
Aug 7, 2014 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

PCunicorn

Head-Fier
I'm sorry, as I'm sure you get these types of threads a LOT. But I'm just gonna create a new one, since all the threads I've found didn't ask exactly what I'm looking for: a pair of 'phones for $200 (would prefer around $150, am okay with up to $250 if it's really worth it), good for electronica (I listen to many of the sub generas), great for gaming, and they have to be somewhat mobile (not looking for anything crazy light, just something that doesn't limit me to one place). This means I need something that doesn't need a DAC/AMP to sound good (I will be driving them with a laptop, a phone rarely, and a desktop the year after next).

So far I've been looking at ATH M50s, but a lot of audiophiles say they're overated (then again it seems that when ANYTHING is popular , audiophiles come to dis it). Also looking at MDR V6s. Thanks,

Jay

P.S. Don't limit yourself to that $200. As said, I'm more then willing to do $250 if it's really worth it. But if it's only slightly better then a similar $200 pair, I'm not gonna do it.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 81
I'm not an expert on the modding You're better googling that. I think there's a head-fi post dedicated to that but I bought mine modded. 

But as far as I understand, you put clay inside the cups and rolled cotton before the pads. I also have different pads on mine which I think are from the Fischar FA-003 and there is a Sennheiser 600/650 headband cushion on the top. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 81
Well I'm not much of a modder so I don't think I'll go for it.

The ATH M50s from what I hear have a small soundstage and aren't good for gaming. So those are out. I've heard good things about the HD 558s, what do you guys think?

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 81
The HD558 doesn't really fit your criteria. It's great for gaming, but it won't be adequate for you for electronic needs. Also, considering it's an open headphone, it will leak and won't be really good for mobile purposes.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 81
  The HD558 doesn't really fit your criteria. It's great for gaming, but it won't be adequate for you for electronic needs. Also, considering it's an open headphone, it will leak and won't be really good for mobile purposes.

Okay, thanks. 

Yamaha mt220 :)

I'll look into it. Are they good for gaming? 
  Shure 440 with 840 pads are a good neutral option. If you want something more fun the DT770 is usually what I normally recommend but that's already been mentioned.

I will also look into those. Also, aren't the DT770s to big? Or do they just look big from the pictures?

Very good under-publicized headphones.

^

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 81
I guess they're not massive. So they're fine being moved around a few times a day? Also, are they reasonably durable? I'm not real rough with my stuff, but I want them to sustain some abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back