Best headphone with BIGGEST bass, and containment of detail and clarity
Nov 4, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #16 of 40
You're not going to get the bass you're looking for from any of those Sennheiser's you have listed. HD650 has sub-bass roll-off and HD800 are more treble emphasized (though are the most detailed headphones I own). Unfortunately haven't heard any Ultrasone headphones so can't chime in on those.

As others have suggested, anything from Fostex or Audeze will give you large amounts of bass and detail. Anything from the Fostex TH-X00 line are great contenders, but my personal favorite are the TH900 for bass, detail, and soundstage. They all definitely lean more towards a V-shaped sound signature though. For Audeze, the LCD-X are my favorite and closer to a neutral sound signature with very strong bass. The LCD-2 are also great if you prefer a darker, less treble-y, sound.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #17 of 40
Fostex th900 definitely

Nov 5, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #19 of 40
Another important point is that there really isn’t such a thing as substantial subwoofer bass in headphones. Straight up. I’ve heard a lot of options (though haven’t tried the Fostex) and nothing sounds like 2 killer subs in a room.

I am lucky enough to have 2 incredible JL Audio EL112 paired with a pair of KEF LS50. The sound that system puts out is jaw dropping.

Probably the closest I’ve come is via the Audeze isine20 & it’s 10 band eq via cipher cable.

IMHO, the Audeze in ears are not to be overlooked in this discussion for 2 core reasons:

1: when it comes to bass, the in ear appears to have an advantage due to the absolutely perfect translation of generated sound actually making it to the eardrum
(I think the seal is generally of slightly better than say an LCD where many users don’t ensure a perfect seal due to the very large circular cup shape, though it is possible)

2: the simplicity of the cipher EQ & it’s inherent portable form factor. You can probably do all of this via desktop but would be pretty hard to layer an eq on top of a cipher/reveal eq on a DAP.

other than that, I head the Abyss Phi is a mixed detail and bass cannon but I’d probably never buy one

I’m I’m currently hoping for excellent results from the ORA GRAPHENEQ headphones & also quite interested in the upcoming HEDDphone.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #20 of 40
I have the Ultrasone Signature Pro but im looking for the same quality but with more bass
This is what I found so far:

Sennheiser hd 650 open headphone (according to my friend it should have ALOT more bass then the Ultrasone 900 pro)
Sennheiser hd 800 serie (new series seem to be good, not sure on the bass)
Ultrasone 900 pro (according to some this is the bassiest headphone for closed headphones, but less detail then signature dj/pro)
Ultrasone DJ pro (Same quality as signature but with more added bass but less then 900 pro?)

Any suggestions in my search?

If you love the sound signature of your Signature Pro and want to change the headphones, than you've to take a look at Adam Audio Studio Pro SP-5.
They're a special corporation with Ultrasone, leaned between Signature Pro and Signature Studio.
The difference is the gold-plated driver, with gives a better bass instead of the titanium-plated of the Ultrasones.

If you like to compliment your Signature Pro, you may try the Fostex 900 or used Klipsch HP-3.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 40
Abyss Phi TC. Done. Possibly also done: financial security and marriage/relationship (if applicable).

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #22 of 40
Hey don't rule out the DT-770 for being...inexpensive, it's a complete workhorse, it can totally stand next to the big boys, granted, it's outclassed, but it brings a LOT to the table. I'd say for pure bass, the Sony Z7M2, lots of good stuff there. But for the king, I'd say the TH-900, of all of the suggestions, the Fostex stuff is the only headphones I haven't heard.

How does the Sony compare to the Fostex overall?

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #23 of 40
Just last week picked up a pair of DT1770 Pros to accompany my DT1990 Pros after watching a few reviews of these and I must say these are bass monsters... The sub bass is unreal. That's coming from a SE846 IEM owner. lol

Great for music although, watched the Annabelle Comes Home movie the other day with them cranked up and well that was an experience!! :)

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #24 of 40
Those Bose Soundsport Free are in ears... not what im looking for. For in ear's I have the Hippo VB with the 3 dots for bass mode.
...Basically what I want is a subwoofer in a headphone yes...
Isn't there one king above all when it comes to bass amounts?
I've had many already mentioned including but not limited to Fostex TH900, Sony MDR-Z7, Fostex TH-X00, Beyer DTs (many including 1990, 770, 990), various Senneheisers HD600, 6XX, HD25, 598, HD300, HD280, Ultrasone pro 900, Fidelio's, Shures, etc
I have found closed headphones will almost always give more impact, slam and bass regardless of what anyone suggests, so my suggestion would be to stick with closed headphones.
Headphone that probably matches your description of "subwoofer" in a headphone is the Denon AH-D600 or AH-7100 (I have the 7100). The bass quality in it is very extended, boomy and subwoofer type imo although it lacks some bass detail, it doesn't muddy out the mids or highs.
Best bass, imo, is the Fostex TH-X00. Stock it doesn't have as much bass as the Denons, but add some EQ and it scales so well and has fast, quality, and impactful bass. I feel the TH900's simply aren't worth it over the TH-X00 variants. Its a sharper headphone and "technically" better but it has too many flaws in the sound dept to justify the price.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #26 of 40
HE6SE available for $699 new from Adorama last week is flat to 15 Hz (at least), it's also sonically better than the HD-650, TH-X00, etc. It has the additional benefit of a nice soundstage and suprememe instrument separation which most closed cans do not. If you want dark and not a brightly li sound, there is the used 2C for high 5's into the 6's.

Nov 21, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #29 of 40
Hang on a bit more and wait for the introduction of the new cans called "Heddphones" with Air Motion Transformer technology and very competitive pricing.
There is a review written inside the article of the Shanghai Canjam.
Personally I am a fan of Dubstep music and the Heddphones have a bad ass bass.

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #30 of 40
Kennerton Magni is by far the best I ever heard. So damn close to subwoofer bass. The quality is better it´s just the feeling in the chest I miss!

The basshead headphones I currently own D7200 and DX 1000 is not even close. X00 have quantity but not quality. It booms even but there is different variations I got the first iteration (ebony?). LCD-2 is also not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back