Best headphone under 250 dollars for EDM Music
Jan 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

teohouse88

Head-Fier
Dear all,
I would ask You an advice about the headphone I need.
I got a pair Of Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear That I use with a AMP/DAC Jds Labs C5D...
Now I need an audiophile headphone, a more detailed headphone with good bass but That sounds differently from the Momentum.
I almost listen to EDM music through mp3 @ 320kbps or Flac songs.
Do You have some advice remaining in a Budget Of 250 dollars?

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 55
I would consider the hd600 and Beyer dt880. Not sure about their new prices but that is just about their going rate in the used market.

The hd600 would work really well with like downtempo. Has like a nice rich sound to it. However rarely is it commended on its prat or high frequency response, so if you really want these qualities might be best to look elsewhere.

The dt 880 is a solid headphone, will give you a nice image top to bottom of everything that is going on. However personally found it to be sterile, not very musical. However for electronic music this isn't necessarily something that is bad..

My personal favorites for edm have been an audio technica ath d2000. Which did most everything right. And the alessandro ms pro, which again did most everything right but had a different, neutral but still a grado quality.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 55
I'm amazed at the  above post, most of those headphones are never considered for EDM. I was going to recommend the DT770 here for EDM. Most of the above 'phones are fairly bass light for my tastes.

Sig Dj, TH600/900/D7000 and DX1000 were the 3 best ive heard for edm.

I listen to 80% Trance genres for my edm, the rest between down tempo stuff and house

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 55
I'd put in a suggestion for a Denon d600.  They seem to have become much cheaper and a used one should easily be under $250.  Not sure what new ones are going for nowadays.  It is amazing for EDM.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 55
  I'm amazed at the  above post, most of those headphones are never considered for EDM. I was going to recommend the DT770 here for EDM. Most of the above 'phones are fairly bass light for my tastes.

Sig Dj, TH600/900/D7000 and DX1000 were the 3 best ive heard for edm.

I listen to 80% Trance genres for my edm, the rest between down tempo stuff and house

Well my good friend, what doesn't amaze me is that so many think all you need for EDM is a big bottom end. Over the TH600/900 I'd take the ATH-AD2000 any day of the week, and read up a bit and you might find that these are some of the best cans for EDM, period, as recommended by so many members over the so many years they have been out. I can't speak for the D7000 and DX1000 as I never heard them. Had a D2000, was weak in the midrange, that just doesn't work.

My tastes are in house, techno, electro, IDM, downtempo, ambient. I go for the sweet sounding pads/leads, out of this world textures of synths, and just good pacing of rhythm which is not easy to do. The DT770's I've never had an interest in, too much bass, and really I think for the OP it would be a lateral move instead of an upgrade. In his price range the senn hd-600's and the dt-880's are dead hard to beat, there is a reason why they are part of the trinity (k701, hd6x0, dt880) of headphones that get recommended over and over again.

As for the ms-pro's, sir, you just have no idea.

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 55
So I have to investigate about Beyerdinamic Dt770/Dt880 or Denon. The most important things For me are bass and the Vocal.
Are the above ones the best choice For me??

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 55
Is its sound similar to my Momentum or not?

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

Definitely not. I didn't like the Momentum because they didn't sound as good as their price tag suggests. The M100's to me, were bassy enough for EDM (some say it is slightly bloated, but I didn't find that), and had relatively decent mids and highs. In your price range of around $200, I'd recommend them for their portability, build, bass, and overall better performance than the Momentums.

With the Beyerdynamic DT880's that some have suggested, I haven't heard them before so I can't vouch for that, but I have owned the M100's for a very long time. Aside from that, those who are throwing you $500-$1000+ headphones suggestions didn't exactly read your title. Of course those headphones would sound all the better (I've tried a few of those mentioned) with the tighter bass and all, but you're looking at 10x your suggested price of $200 ish.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 55
I think That I will buy another headphone as soon as I got a greater budget as I 'm scared to have two headphone That sounds similar.
What about Audio Technica Ath-M50?

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #11 of 55
I think That I will buy another headphone as soon as I got a greater budget as I 'm scared to have two headphone That sounds similar.
What about Audio Technica Ath-M50?

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

As I said, the M100 have nothing alike with the Momentums aside from the price range.

With the M50's, you'd be buying a pair of headphones that's in the same league as the Beats range. I suppose it isn't too bad for an EDM setup, but the M100's just a step up from the M50.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 55
Thanks a lot Skybleu For the suggestions.
I'm going to Search some comparison between Momentum and M100 That looks Very nice and all speaks well about it.
But Very probably I have to increase my budget to satisfy my requests :frowning2:

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 55
Thanks a lot Skybleu For the suggestions.
I'm going to Search some comparison between Momentum and M100 That looks Very nice and all speaks well about it.
But Very probably I have to increase my budget to satisfy my requests :frowning2:

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

No worries!

Hope you find your desired pair of headphones soon. :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 55
Dear all,
I got a pair Of Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear That I use with a AMP/DAC Jds Labs C5D...
Now I need an audiophile headphone, a more detailed headphone with good bass but That sounds differently from the Momentum.

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

Honestly, the signature of the Momentum lends itself very well to your musical tastes. You aren't going to do much better than that for EDM. If you want something with more bass, you are definitely heading into basshead territory which is far from a neutral sounding audiophile headphone. In this case, I would recommend the Vmoda M100. It's a pretty great basshead can.

What about the Momentum do you not like when playing EDM through it?

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 55
Dear all,

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

Honestly, the signature of the Momentum lends itself very well to your musical tastes. You aren't going to do much better than that for EDM. If you want something with more bass, you are definitely heading into basshead territory which is far from a neutral sounding audiophile headphone. In this case, I would recommend the Vmoda M100. It's a pretty great basshead can.

What about the Momentum do you not like when playing EDM through it?

I think That Momentum sounds really great with EDM music(Perfect bass,good vocal), it is an amazing closed headphone.
What I Search is an headphone For listening to Music in a more detailed way...an open headphone without too much bass,great soundstage and detailed treble and mids.
Do You have any other suggestions?

Teo da Tapatalk iPhone 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back