Best headphone purchase, worst headphone purchase you have made
May 18, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #121 of 340
Best: Custom leathered DT880/600s. So good that I'm having a hard time imagining enjoying anything more.

Worst: Sennheiser MX90 VC. Big bucks for earbuds that are better than iPod buds, I guess. That was in my rube pre-Head-Fi days. Turns out that Head-Fi advice is of higher quality than that which you get at the Apple Store.

May 18, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #122 of 340
Best: Grado SR60
Worst: AKG K26P
I sorely wished I had paid the extra twenty dollars for the K81DJ.

May 18, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #123 of 340
Best: I'd have to go with my DT831's, since I got them for a ridiculous low price. Especially after sticking a new cable on them, they have become a real stand-by for me. They provide the most neutral sound of my current headphones, and serve as a nice reference point. Of course with the push Beyer pads, they are always welcoming to wear. They sound quite a bit better than any of the other sub-$500 closed headphones I've used. If I had to really downsize my rig, these are the headphones I'd keep if I could only keep one pair, because they are more practical and less susceptible to wear and tear than my A-T's, and aren't that much worse to listen to or wear.

Worst: The Ultrasone HFI-650DVD was a pretty disappointing headphone for me, though not so much due to sound. The bass was big and powerful as I expected, and the rest of the sound was serviceable. However, the small earcups and amazing heat-trapping ability of these headphones made them pretty uncomfortable. Add in the cracking headband issues, and I was less than enthralled. Fortunately I bought them used, and was able to sell them without too much loss. But I'd definitely rate it as the worst experience of any serious headphones I've owned (which is not to say it was awful, merely bottom of the barrel).

May 18, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #124 of 340
Best? Probably the AKG K1000, relatively low price compared to some of my other cans. It scales brilliantly with the right amp and source; they are pretty comfortable too and I enjoy fatigue free listening sessions with them.
Worst? The Grado GS1000, try as I might I could not get along with this can, not one of the 5 amps I had at the time could bring out the best in the GS1000. For me a real pity as I liked the RS1 sound but could not live the discomfort, the GS1000 remain one of the most comfortable cans I have tried but I could not live with its sound.

May 18, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #126 of 340
Best: HD650s - After burn-in they are simply amazing with the Hornet and a good silver interconnect between amp and source. Period.

Worst: AKG K81DJ - boomy muddy bass bloated things. unrefined, unenjoyable. I sorely regret having spent cash on those cans.

May 18, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #127 of 340
Best: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701 [tie].
Thumbs up: Beyerdynamic DT880.
Worst: Sony MDR-V600 [Pure Crud], Grado SR325i [too bright]

May 18, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #128 of 340
Best:

For the money, HF-1s ... great headphones at the $200 price point. All round best, RS1.

Worst:

Some crappy sony DJ style, er, MDR V150. Bought them on a whim for some reason i still can't fathom. Muddy, lousy mids and no highs. Money would have been better spent on a Pizza or two
tongue.gif

May 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #131 of 340
Best: Altec Lansing iM716. Single-armaturedly made me a detail freak and absolute lover of IEMs. It's hard to go back to dynamic drivers now.. best value I've had.

Worst: KSC-75.
frown.gif
I don't think I've made any bad purchases but the KSC-75 seems the least awesome to me right now.. they're just too open and impractical for me to realistically enjoy in most conditions. It sure blew everything away when I first listened to them though.

May 18, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #132 of 340
My best/worst headphone purchases.
Best: Stax Lambda Pro
Worst: Grado SR80

May 18, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #133 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best: Grado SR60
Worst: AKG K26P
I sorely wished I had paid the extra twenty dollars for the K81DJ.

x2 as I did exactly the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back