Best headphone purchase, worst headphone purchase you have made
Jun 2, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #61 of 340
I've only bought one pair of headphones in my life. I've gone through a few others, like 5 or so others but they all were low end not worth mentioning because they're not worth remembering.

Yes you've guessed it, the KSC-75. Bought em from radioshack and man these things are great. I lost a clip but I plan on having koss send me a new one soon. The sound quality is superb for what I've heard so far. I haven't heard anything better than these so these headphones really enlightened me with the details in some songs I have never heard before. Its like theres some kind of hidden layer in most songs full of instruments and maybe even voices, that you can't unlock unless you have a decent pair of headphones - read: KSC-75.
580smile.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #62 of 340
Best: Grado HF1 - Hands down my favorite over all that came before. I have had "better" headphones, but none (other than AKC -35) that I can so easily say that I got true value for money. Musical. Fun. Detailed. Defined bass.

WORST: Sony Eggo D66 - no redeeming qualities. Shrill. Sibilant. Must imagine bass.

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #63 of 340
Worst: Shure e5-c

These things cost me a bundle (I went WAY over budget on these), and in the end; I didn't think that they sounded any better, than my old Sony MDR 35 Turbo. The supplied eartips were not a universal fit for my ears, and the prospect of having to spend more big-money on custom made ear-molds, did not appeal to me. Bottom line was: I couldn't get them to sound good, 'cause they didn't fit good. So; after having them for only 1-month; I sold them at a loss of slightly over $200.

Instead, I went the full-size open approach, and now have:

Tied for best: Grado SR 125 and 225

I originally bought the 125's after I sold the Shure's, and have owned them for less than 6-months. When I first got them, I was blown away by how much better they sounded than the Shure's (brand new out of the box, and not even broken in yet). Their sound has evolved over the past several months, and has made my 3-4 hour listening sessions (about 3 times/week), an involving experience. I love these cans for their tight bass, forward midrange, and clear highs. All I wished more for; was a bit more fullness and extension in the bass, and a little more soundstage.

So, I decided to get the 225's, thinking they might provide me with that. I've had them for about 2 weeks now, and still trying them with different setups. Bass is definitely a step up, and soundstage is a bit more expansive (but still not as good as a well-integrated loudspeaker/room setup...headphones just can't do the enormous soundstage thing like a home-setup). Sometimes I like the 125's better, sometimes it's the 225's. It all depends on the songs/sources/amp/cable combo.

Right now, I like them both equally
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #64 of 340
Best: Philips HP-1000 (Absolutely incredible for the price I got them at)
Worst: Sennheiser HD280 (My only current reference for a truly fatiguing headphone, very unpleasant in sound and comfort)

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #66 of 340
Best: Grado SR80. What got me started in this whole headphone mess!
biggrin.gif

Worst: B&O A8. Looks cool, but they're hard to keep in my ears. Plus, they're way overpriced for the sound they give.

Jun 2, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #68 of 340
BEST: Sennheiser Baby-Orpheus: I'm listening to them right now and this sense of reality is unheard on my system. (maybe in pair with AKG K701, unbelievably electrostat-like sound from one of the best dynamic headphones ever).

WORST: Sennheiser HD590: unbelievably bad-sounding for my tastes.

Andrew

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #70 of 340
Best: Grado SR125... a present from my (now) wife.
Got me started.

Worst? Some fake Audio Technica EC7's from Ebay. Heck, even the stock ipod are ok to
sleep in.

Desire... some Grado wood... soon to be arriving GS1000's

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #71 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
That surprises me a lot... because compared to DT880s, A900 LTDs have more emphasized mids, so I'd guess that DT880s wouldn't be your cup of tea either...

For me it was the other way around. The DT880 seem to be quite balanced, at least to me.

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #73 of 340
Worst:
Sony Headphile-modded CD3K and MDR-V6. The highs blew me away on the first listen (the bad way, not the good way!) and continue to put me off. I guess the Sony sound signature isn't for me.
frown.gif

Best:
K701 and DT880. It's a deadly duo!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #74 of 340
Hmm...

Best: Sony CD1700 for vocals, Beyer DT880 (2004-5 version) for a pretty all over good listen...

Worst: Grado RS1 - Great for a couple of years, but as soon as I picked up on that coloration in the midrange... could (and have) never put them back on without hearing it instantly
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #75 of 340
Best: STAX Omega 2. They were a gift, so you dont get much better value for mnoey than that. Oh, they sound quite nice too
biggrin.gif

If that doesnt count then the STAX 2020 system. Same price as an HD650 and even better fro the money.

Worst: Koss ESP9. A crippled budget and a burning desire for a pair of electrostatic headphones can lead you into dangerous waters as far as comfort, and sound quality and reliability is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back