Best headphone purchase, worst headphone purchase you have made
Jun 1, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #46 of 340
Best: K1000 I love 'em and will never part with them
k1000smile.gif
....second would be my W100s after I changed out the drivers.

Worst: Well I liked the HD 497 the leat of all the headphones I've owned.

Jun 1, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #47 of 340
Worst: Sennheiser HD212 Pro

The Headset just quit working after 6 month's of heavy usage...

Mediocre:
Sennheisers HD280 Pro, Closed headphones with some decent bass but I somewhat hated the lack of quality in the higher frequencies. Now I wonder why I have wasted €100 instead of buying the HD650's straight away.

Best: Sennheiser HD650, I just love the dark tone when I listen to some techno or hardstyle
tongue.gif
and as stated above, I shud've bought these straight away instead of wasting money on halft decent headphones.

I was doubting between buying a beyerdynamic or a sennheiser though but when I found a shop that sold the 650's for under €230 brand new, I said, the hell with it, I'm getting me a pair of these.

Jun 1, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #48 of 340
Best Head-fi: My PortaPros. Really enjoyable, comfortable, and only got them for 20$!

Best Pre Head-fi: Koss Pro3ATs. Nice cans, really good for rock but a little birght.

Worst Head-Fi A-700. Ugh! Too laid back and not enough mids.

Worst Pre Head-Fi MDR-V150. Two fat women mud wrestling.

Jun 1, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #49 of 340
Best headphones overall I've tried are MS-1s, great SQ for 100$

Worst headphones: ER-6is...where's the bass?

BIggest dissapointment: ATH-900 LTD, where's the mids?

Jun 1, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #50 of 340
best: rs-1

My first reference can, and how I loved to hold its warm wooden cups. ^^ (purely plutonic love)

worst: sr325

Brightest cans I've ever owned. Sold them within and hour of owning them. Of course I only spent $150 on them, so really it was actually a good purchase...

Biggie.

Jun 1, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #51 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
BIggest dissapointment: ATH-900 LTD, where's the mids?

That surprises me a lot... because compared to DT880s, A900 LTDs have more emphasized mids, so I'd guess that DT880s wouldn't be your cup of tea either...

Jun 1, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #52 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by drews
Best: HD595 - I sold these to another Head-Fi member to fund my K701 purchase... I think should have kept them. Honorable mention to SuperFi 5.pro

Worst: ER4P - Microphonic, overpriced, shrill... perhaps they just aren't built for my ears... (Dis)honorable mention to Sony EX-90LP.

Drew

Strong second on the HD595. These are excellent all around. A previous poster in this thread opined that the HD595 is his worst headphone. Laughed, but not out loud. Haha. More of a snicker.

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #53 of 340
Best: iM716 - Finally gave me the sound sig I wanted; clear, clean, accurate, and precise sound.

Best (Runner-up): KSC75 - I heard they were good, but when I put got to listen to them...I thought they were better than my...

WORST: UE super.fi 5 Pro - Yup, my first 'high-end' IEM purchase turned out to be a major flop, esp. after the purchase of the iM716. The vocals literally sound like you're listening through a dozen curtains, and the bass is bloated, muddy...ugh. If these were described as 'warm,' I'm going to have to stay away from the Senn and Westone line.

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #54 of 340
BEST: HD650. I have tried SR-225, K701, A900 and A900LTD. Their sound was not for me. I love my HD650.

WORST:
Sony MDR-XD400. This one was actually not all that bad, but after I got the 650, they kinda went down on my ladder. To me, they sounded very similar to the A900 I had.

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #55 of 340
Best: Senn 595 - my first good headphone and still my favorite of everything I've listened to.

Worst: Sony MDR-V600 - bought long before headfi but truly the worst headphones I've ever owned. Paid a lot for them, gave them away and they still don't get any use.

Honorable mention for worst: surprisingly Woody 225s. They actually sound really good with flats (hate them with bowls) but the fact that I have ears of differing shapes makes them almost unbearable from a comfort standpoint and causes the sound and imaging to be skewed to the point it makes it impossible to focus on the music. Probably going to have to invest in cpads just to try to justify the money I've already spent on them.... *sigh*.

Ant

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #56 of 340
Best Purchase: Shure E4c. Taught me that headphones can be very nice. Got me listening to music again after many years. Taught me that an iPod can be awesome with uncompressed music. Of course ended up costing me $10,000 plus in a short period of time.

Not my favorite phones, now. But good workhorse for exercising with iPod (until I get my E500s).

Worst Purchase: Grado 325i. Strident, overpriced, added nothing to my small collection. Other Grado's sounded better, to me, for less money.

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #57 of 340
Best: Alessandro MS-1s. First purchase of actually good headphones. The're affordable and sound great. Compared to my worst... well, no contest. Theres only a few songs I haven't enjoyed listening to with these. The only reason I can explain is that they were a tad overbearing, a bit too forward and crowded or they 'drown out' another instrument. But that is rare to me and well they easily redeem themselves.

Worst: Sony MDR-V250. Pre head-fi. Looking for some 'good' headphones. They sounded good at the time. In hindsight, they sucked. Add to that they pretty much fell apart after just over a year. The KSC-75s put them to shame.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #58 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
Strong second on the HD595. These are excellent all around. A previous poster in this thread opined that the HD595 is his worst headphone. Laughed, but not out loud. Haha. More of a snicker.

I tried to not respond to/argue about my list, especially since I started this thread, but I felt like responding to this.

I just find them to be muffled, which, for me, ruins any good traits they have (decent soundstage, good instrument separation, refined bass, to mention a few). They shouldn't have been my first quality headphone purchase, because if I had bought them after buying the KSC-35s, for instance, I would've sent them back before the 30 days were up. I didn't say that they are the worst headphones I have (if I didn't find them muffled they might've in fact been my best headphones), they are just the worst purchase I have made, which is the point of this thread (best and worst headphone purchases).

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #59 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25
I tried to not respond to/argue about my list, especially since I started this thread, but I felt like responding to this.

I also find the 595 oddly muffled, and less appealing than the 580/600/650 range, veil notwithstanding. I can hear the clarity of the 595 if I listen against a 555, but not against the other Senns, an AKG, or a high-end Grado. Maybe it's an amplification question, as I've only heard them on 2 different rigs, but I doubt it. I imagine this is one of those cans that separates people who are listening for different things in a typical love/hate fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back