Best Headphone of the past year (2009ish)
Sep 22, 2009 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
So what is the best headphone of 2009.....this poll will include earphones. I know probably know has heard all of them, but if you've heard at least three please specify which you've heard and what you voted for.....

2009 was a great year for headphones!

The poll will list the headphones merely in order of debut.....as far as I can remember.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 32
How about adding the Grado HF-2? I would imagine there would be many who believe it was the "greatest" headphone to debut this year. I don't think that this should be solely based on outrageous price-points/new flagship models. Otherwise, the poll would be better served in the "high-end" section of the forum.
smily_headphones1.gif
(I also posted this is the first thread)

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about adding the Grado HF-2? I would imagine there would be many who believe it was the "greatest" headphone to debut this year. I don't think that this should be solely based on outrageous price-points/new flagship models. Otherwise, the poll would be better served in the "high-end" section of the forum.
smily_headphones1.gif
(I also posted this is the first thread)

how do i move it to the high end section?.....I was really only talking about statement products

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 32
That was just a suggestion. To "move" it to the "High-end audio" forum, you would just have to re-post there or have a moderator move it from this location. Mind you, over there there is less traffic. So you may get a better response in the "Full-size headphones" section here. Either way, interesting idea for a poll! (I can't afford any of these cans, but I can dream!
wink.gif
)

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 32
That's true, and probably the reason why this thread just got moved to the "High-end" section. Wow. This is my first official post here. I'm humbled! [Please don't look below at my signature; I swear, those PortaPros... I have no idea where they came from!
wink.gif
]

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 32
I have JH13 Pro and had D7000. I tried HD800 at the meet and I voted for JH13 because.... I like them the most
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 32
My vote went to the JH-13 Pro. Although I have only heard one of the other listed 'phones, the HD800.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 32
After vowing not to buy a pair and investing heavily in Speaker-Fi instead, I fell hard for the HD-800. They're easily my favorite. The crow, by the way, is delicious. This is the happiest I've ever been about being wrong.

That being said, I've given some thought to the JH13 because so many members I respect love them. The Beyerdynamic T1 is a possibility, too. I'm going to wait for the opinions and comparisons to roll in before buying.

I didn't care much for the Denons and Ultrasones still haven't grabbed my ears, though I don't dislike them. They've just never been compelling enough to buy. Same with the PS-1000. I liked them well enough, but not enough to buy. If they were $800 or $900, I'd probably buy a pair. The HF-2 is quite good, but it sure spends a lot of time in its box while the HD-800 gets the head time.

The foray into Speaker-Fi paid off, as well. The Quads are everything I hoped for and more.

2009 has been very good to my ears.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 32
For me it was between the jh13pro and the ed8's. But since I havent spend quality time with the ed8's I went JH13pro
o2smile.gif

I never fell for the hd800's, I never liked grados and denons and I wish I had heard the t1... until november...

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 32
I voted for the HD800. As I was lucky to be able to try out the PS1000, ED8, and for a while the D7000. But when I heard the PS1K, ED8 and HD800 side by side at a friend who owned all four (he sold the D7000 before the 3 came in). I really like the HD800 that I bought a pair.

I haven't tried the T1 yet so. Might be something to consider for the near future. =)

As for the the JH-13. I believe it should be very good indeed considering the lot that invested on them I have a pair of Livewire customs. But my lifestyle doesn't allow me to use customs that much. Even though it is better tham most IEMS I had the time removing and putting them on is a hassle as I do support calls out of office. Now they're inside my Dry Cabinet. =(

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 32
I own 3 of the selections and have heard the rest minus the T1. The HD800 and the JH13 are the creme of that group IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back