Best Headphone NO AMP (price is no object)
Oct 16, 2007 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

mr. nice

500+ Head-Fier
first and foremost...i've been lurking here for about a month or so but haven't got around to posting (this may be my second) anyways hello to all! u guys got a pretty sweet community runnin here!

anyways, i'm looking at the best can i get get with no amp price is not really an object. gonna add an amp (probably a GraceM902) down the road but need somethin i can monitor thru now.

I had the GS1000 and even a pair of Grado 325s and loved them both, but I'm hesistant that they weren't getting the most bang for their buck so now i'm thinking the RS-1 or even PS-1 that's currently up on EBAY......again an amp will be added later...i know it makes no sense to spend a nice lump of on cans if you your chain isn't up to par. Looking for something very very good that wouldn't sound too much better amped then without one.

thnx

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 55
I suppose Grado or Audio-Technica is what you want. What are you using them for? Portable or no? etc.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 55
not portable. willl be composing and kinda mixing also listening to mostly classical and jazz. i think this all points to the HD600 HD650 (but I need an amp for those) or the GS1000, PS-1, or RS-1 which run at 32 OHMs actually not sure about the PS-1.

The thing is that my current keyboard is also my soundcard and it's connect to my little IMAC which is the hub of my everything mulitmedia. It's a pretty bad ass keyboard and has balanced INS OUTS and a Headphone out which is where I want to connect my nice cans to. I did have the GS1000s and am leaning towards them again. I sold them cuz I got a good deal and didn't lose any money (seems this happens quite frequently with the Grados_---)

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 55
Edition 9's

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 55
That was also what I was going to say based purely on what I have read other people say as I have not heard them my self.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 55
If I was in the same position:

Closed : Sony MDR-R10
Open : Grado HP-2

Admittedly I haven't heard either without an amp, but they are both low impedience phones; and with the secondary market what it is, they are virtually free to try out and resell if you are not pleased.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the GS1000 and even a pair of Grado 325s and loved them both, but I'm hesistant that they weren't getting the most bang for their buck so now i'm thinking the RS-1 or even PS-1 that's currently up on EBAY......again an amp will be added later...i know it makes no sense to spend a nice lump of on cans if you your chain isn't up to par. Looking for something very very good that wouldn't sound too much better amped then without one.

No offense, but very little about that paragraph makes sense.

1. "Bang for the buck" goes down with the pricetag, not up. Headphones are still subject to the laws of economics.

2. It really does make no sense to say "money is no object but an amplifier is." Almost everyone who looks for an ampless headphone does so because either portability matters or they just can't afford one right now. With both those factors gone focusing on one half of what's going to be a complete equation is madness.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 55
WOW just looked a bit at the Edition 9s and I'm diggin them (just for the case if nothing else) any direct comparisons to the GS1000s or PS1s. Odds on gettin a pair 2nd hand????
cool.gif

Edition 9s look very nice.....I actually just became the highest bidder on those PS-1s on EBAY, but that's b4 i was made aware of these. I really just want a headphone which I can keep and listen to for a long long long time that sounds good on any source and on any type of music! dam that case looks nice
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 55
i wouldn't say money is not object, but i've had tooooo much experience buying high end recording gear and a 1k pair of headphones become 10k b4 you know it. Just like Mics, PreAmp, ADCs, DACs, Studio Monitors etc.....Like I said the AMP will be there (just cuz I know myself and I know the deal with this stuff) but want something flexible for the itme being.

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wouldn't say money is not object, but i've had tooooo much experience buying high end recording gear and a 1k pair of headphones become 10k b4 you know it. Just like Mics, PreAmp, ADCs, DACs, Studio Monitors etc.....Like I said the AMP will be there (just cuz I know myself and I know the deal with this stuff) but want something flexible for the itme being.

In some ways an amp gives you more flexibility, because in the pricerange we are talking about in some ways it's assumed you have an amp, which means you are excluding some great cans.

A HD650 or K701 paired with a proper amp will give a lot of the headphones mentioned already a run for their money (and in many people's opinions, surpass them) for the cost of something like the E9 alone.

You can also get some balanced setups for the price we are talking about! $1K is a lot of money to work with in headphone land.

Oct 16, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In some ways an amp gives you more flexibility, because in the pricerange we are talking about in some ways it's assumed you have an amp, which means you are excluding some great cans.

A HD650 or K701 paired with a proper amp will give a lot of the headphones mentioned already a run for their money (and in many people's opinions, surpass them) for the cost of something like the E9 alone.

You can also get some balanced setups for the price we are talking about! $1K is a lot of money to work with in headphone land.

it is, but if you pair those 1000 euro/dollar headphones with the same amp, they still will sound better. But i agree, high end headphones mostly need high end gear as well to make them shine.
if you take that into account, you need a good source, very important and a good amp that can drive the headphone well. This will increase the cost significantly!

Some phones only give marginal improvement for considderable cost.

Oct 16, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 55
I just have to say, in regards to the E9, you really want to demo these before listening. It's one of those headphones where opinions are all over the map.

Actually, the same is true for all the headphones you seem to be interested in, but, well, buying the others used generally means this isn't as big of a deal.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 55
What an odd thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back