Best Headphone NO AMP (price is no object)
Oct 16, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #16 of 55
If you're mixing/making music I'd go for something relatively flat and sterile. I am quite fond of the Sennheiser EH series for this (and being closed they cut down on string/fret noise, fingers on keys, whatever).

Beyer 250's may be a good option too, but I haven't heard these yet (soon, precious).

Basically I'd look at stuff aimed at that market, and I'd say to stay away from the MDR-v6/7506. Those things ruin mixes/effects tweaks with their treble imho.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varcharz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What an odd thread.

i agree
confused.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 55
If you are truly monitoring for reproduction purposes, I'd avoid the hp1000's or any other "unique" headphone.

If it is really unique it won't suit the stated purpose, which is making a mix that sounds right most anywhere.

If it -isn't- unique, you just got rooked!

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #21 of 55
I would never "ever" do a final mix thru a can. actually nobody in their right mind would, but every now and then to check a mix in detail they would serve a purpose and again this is not the only reason to choose the headphone that I am after.

Let me try and be more specific....I would like a Headphone somehwere under $2000 that can stay with me for a while (don't want to sell and buy and etc....) It always seems like there is always a place for the good gear in the High End Audio World....like old Neumann Mics. Neve 1073 Pres etc. and they can always be matched with newer gear and still sound good.

I am not interested in taking my $1500 to $2000 right now and spreading it out amongst a Head AMP because if taken care of I can have a sweet pair of cans that I learn (and in the end that's all you want out of a studio monitor) and trust somewhat. I want to compose, kinda mix, and listen to music (mainly jazz and classical) thru them.

OK obviosuly this is more or less unreasonable to get out of one little device for 2k but I want to get as close to that as possible and still have the can sound good until the AMP gets here soooooooooooo:

Contenders thus far are:

Grado GS1000
Grado PS-1
Grado HP1000
Grado RS1
Ultra Ed.9

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah i see....

i've been reading up on the ED9s and i can see that people are kinda all over the place in reviewing them....

& they could also be FOTM too..
cool.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

I would never "ever" do a final mix thru a can. actually nobody in their right mind would, but every now and then to check a mix in detail they would serve a purpose and again this is not the only reason to choose the headphone that I am after.

Let me try and be more specific....I would like a Headphone somehwere under $2000 that can stay with me for a while (don't want to sell and buy and etc....) It always seems like there is always a place for the good gear in the High End Audio World....like old Neumann Mics. Neve 1073 Pres etc. and they can always be matched with newer gear and still sound good.

I am not interested in taking my $1500 to $2000 right now and spreading it out amongst a Head AMP because if taken care of I can have a sweet pair of cans that I learn (and in the end that's all you want out of a studio monitor) and trust somewhat. I want to compose, kinda mix, and listen to music (mainly jazz and classical) thru them.

OK obviosuly this is more or less unreasonable to get out of one little device for 2k but I want to get as close to that as possible and still have the can sound good until the AMP gets here soooooooooooo:

Contenders thus far are:

Grado GS1000
Grado PS-1
Grado HP1000
Grado RS1
Ultra Ed.9

PS1..

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 55
For the record, I don't think that anyone's taking the full potential of a set of headphones if the impedance is more than 32. Lots of good options, but combining them is the key to better quality.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #26 of 55
not to hijack my own thread but what is the deal with lots of Head-Fiers owning the DAC-1? It's more or less a decent converter.....why not somethin Prism, Weiss or like the Lavry Golds etc....? or the HEDD, Mytek, Lavry Blues or Black if you're looking for bang for the buck? the latter being just a step above.......

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #27 of 55
Add Qualias to the list. I heard them out of my EMU 0404 usb's headphone out before I heard them out of a real amp and I fell in love with the sound instantly.

Perhaps it didn't sound its best but what headphone does with essentially no amp, I could immediately tell what a high level headphone it was in terms of distance/soundstage /resolution and details.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

not to hijack my own thread but what is the deal with lots of Head-Fiers owning the DAC-1? It's more or less a decent converter.....why not somethin Prism, Weiss or like the Lavry Golds etc....? or the HEDD, Mytek, Lavry Blues or Black if you're looking for bang for the buck? the latter being just a step above.......

In ages past it was a great dac paired with a balanced headphone amp, and supposedly has great synergy with the HD650. There wasn't much competition.

These days I think that at $1K you can do better. DACs and Balanced Headphone Amps have made huge strides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back