Best Headphone NO AMP (price is no object)
Oct 17, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #32 of 55
all the above mentioned were around making better converters (more expensive) when the Benchmarks were making there DAC1... I was just tryin to figure out why the DAC1s...I though it was somethin you were all on to...

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #34 of 55
i was really thinking the HD650, but would like more flexibility with sources the can go into and I won't be mixing but more like "checking" I am more or less down to three choice just cuz the PS-1 seem toooooo expensive at this time

Grado GS-1000
Grado RS-1
Ultra Ed.9

any thoughts between these 3?

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was really thinking the HD650, but would like more flexibility with sources the can go into and I won't be mixing but more like "checking" I am more or less down to three choice just cuz the PS-1 seem toooooo expensive at this time

Grado GS-1000
Grado RS-1
Ultra Ed.9

any thoughts between these 3?

You need to expand on exactly what you mean by checking. None of those are even close to neutral.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #37 of 55
clipping and little details that a good can might be able to pick up whereas a pair of studio monitors can leave out. from what i know mixing can't really be done on cans (but then again that's from what i now and people I spoke to) and the last thing I want is this to turn into best monitors to mix thread cuz I'm not "really" doing that. More like composing and listening to Jazz and Classical (seems peeps prefer the GS1k over the RS1 for this)....Am I kinda making sense
confused.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

all the above mentioned were around making better converters (more expensive) when the Benchmarks were making there DAC1... I was just tryin to figure out why the DAC1s...I though it was somethin you were all on to...

As you know there's a big price difference between the Benchmark and the others. Few audiophiles or even pro studios can affort to spend $5K to $8K in a DAC. But one day the Weiss will be mine
icon10.gif
, with the strong euro i can get one used for "only" €3K.

Check the Sennheiser HD25-1 for a good monitoring headphone that you can plug everywhere.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #40 of 55
true they are pricey but people seem to be spending that kind of money on cans and preamps so i;m just sayin and as what correctly said b4 they are gettin pretty cheap so there are many more options.....

OK back to the thread at hand...I'm down to two of them and they both get GREAT or NOT SO GREAT reviews depending on the ears here and tastes here.

Grado GS-1000
Ultrasone Edition 9

i can get both for the same price give or take $100 so that's where I stand. Anythoughts????thinking about starting a new thread with these two in the title.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 55
HeadRoom has been saying for years, in their RS-1 write-up, that they think the RS-1's are the best available cans for use without an amp.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

thinking about starting a new thread with these two in the title.

please don't... you can edit your first post and by editing the title box, you can change the thread's title. Further more you can edit the content of your first post so the correct question is asked (GS1000 >< Ed9)

Sorry for being a wise@ss, but while I understand and don't really mind lots of ppl posting "Which cans for me?"-threads, I hate seeing 2+ "W-c-f-m?"-threads on the first page by the same member...just to word their question slightly different or because the first one didn't attract enough traffic etc.

It is a forum, not a chatroom, so use forum-tools and rules and be a bit patient and your question will be answered!

back O.T. ... I wouldn't know as I haven't heard any of the headphones you mention
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

true they are pricey but people seem to be spending that kind of money on cans and preamps so i;m just sayin and as what correctly said b4 they are gettin pretty cheap so there are many more options.....

Well, which is more important? The Headphones or the DAC? I'm really not sure, but it would seem the headphone would be more important. And I don't know what the hell you are trying to say in that second 1/2 of the quote.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #45 of 55
Audio-Technica ATH-L3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back