Best headphone for monitoring bass guitar in live performances?
Jul 20, 2011 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

placeboe

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I don't post alot, but have a question for anyone who might have experience in this topic.  I've tried to search the site for a similar topic, but to no avail.

I'm playing bass guitar in a church band, and we use hear-back units.  I'm able to separately adjust volume levels for each component of the band (drums, electric guitar, acoustic guitars, bass guitar, keyboards, vocals/mics).  So, since I'm using this to monitor my own realtime performance with the rest of the band - I usually have the bass guitar turned up the most in the mix.  However, I do have all the other components at a lower volume to keep check on all of our performances.

It would be simpler if I could actually hear myself in the main audience speakers - but that's not possible from where I'm at on stage.  The hear-back is the only way I can accurately hear myself in the mix.

I'm currently using a pair of JVC HARX900's as my headphones.  They are really nice for the price, but the bass can get boomy and a tad muddy at higher volumes.  I haven't persued the modifications that have been demonstrated on this site (yet) for those headphones, but that may help with the boomy/muddy.  These are an improvement from the Bose triports I was using, but I feel it's time to search out something better to meet my needs.

I'm looking for a set of headphones that reproduce the low to low-mids CLEANLY.  These also need to cover the extended frequency ranges of the rest of the band - but I'm not as interested in the highs being crystal clean.  The set needs to be rugged, dependable and comfortable.

So, any help here would be much appreciated.  Price isn't really an issue, as these would have a specific purpose and I'd be willing to pay for that.  Thx ~placeboe~

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 9
Try the KRK KNS-6400. These would be perfect. Most guitar center's carry them. They're only $99 also.
I upgraded mine with the KNS-8400's memory foam pads.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 9
For me GMP 8.35 have the best bass resolution from most of the close monitor hps, Superb sound isolation, I use them in my studio for tracking bass, vocals, and for most of the mixing work. The 8.35 are 35 ohms, means no amp needed. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed  

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 9
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.  I'll followup on each of these leads and will do my research. 

Acix, you have written alot about the German Maestro products - sounds like they are great bang for the buck.  Do you know if they have a stateside distributor, or somewhere I could audition them?

Thanks again to everyone.

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.  I'll followup on each of these leads and will do my research. 

Acix, you have written alot about the German Maestro products - sounds like they are great bang for the buck.  Do you know if they have a stateside distributor, or somewhere I could audition them?

Thanks again to everyone.

I saw them on Amazon, and Nextag. As well I think there is a direct link and email in my review to the US distributor.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I saw them on Amazon, and Nextag. As well I think there is a direct link and email in my review to the US distributor.

Hey Acix, I just got a set of the MB Quart HP805HS from Sonicelectronix on Ebay.  I found the manual for the HearBack units, and they are amplified (I didn't know that before), so they should work okay with the 300Ω hps.

I'll let you know how I like them after using them a while.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Hey Acix, I just got a set of the MB Quart HP805HS from Sonicelectronix on Ebay.  I found the manual for the HearBack units, and they are amplified (I didn't know that before), so they should work okay with the 300Ω hps.

Yeah, sorry - that should be QP805HS.  My bad.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:

Hey Acix,

The QP805HS are doing exactly what I needed...  excellent sound quality in the bass regions without BLOAT and MUDD!  Good call!  Thank you for putting me on to German Maestro products.  I can definitely recommend these for studio monitoring and live performance (real-time) monitoring - especially for bass guitar players.

I'm going to let our drummer use them at our next practice and see if he likes them also.  Who knows, he might trade in his IEM's for a pair of these.

New for under $90 shipped to my door - can't freekin' beat that (ebay seller www-sonicelectronix-com).  These have a pure clarity over a very wide FR that you would find in much more expensive hps.

FYI, I see that they have even dropped the price further to $79.99.  I may buy another set to keep on the shelf.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360381010086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thanks again,
placeboe

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Hey Acix,

The QP805HS are doing exactly what I needed...  excellent sound quality in the bass regions without BLOAT and MUDD!  Good call!  Thank you for putting me on to German Maestro products.  I can definitely recommend these for studio monitoring and live performance (real-time) monitoring - especially for bass guitar players.

I'm going to let our drummer use them at our next practice and see if he likes them also.  Who knows, he might trade in his IEM's for a pair of these.

New for under $90 shipped to my door - can't freekin' beat that (ebay seller www-sonicelectronix-com).  These have a pure clarity over a very wide FR that you would find in much more expensive hps.

FYI, I see that they have even dropped the price further to $79.99.  I may buy another set to keep on the shelf.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360381010086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thanks again,
placeboe

I'm glad you love those hps, and price is just great!!
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back