Best headphone for FiiO X3?
Jul 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #32 of 43
I´m not expert on this matter. I´ve just bought an Ipod nano. After read so many positive opinions about Fiio x3, I´m considering to return ipod and get Fiio x3. Do you think is this a upgrade of sound quality?

Thanks

I think you should order the X3 off Amazon, compare them both, then return the one you don't like :)

--I have not heard either, but would bet on the X3.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #33 of 43
I contacted FiiO about this issue and they told me thay the impedance of HD-650 is too high, and it is hard to drive for the X5/X3. Now I'm seriously considering the option of the Yamaha PRO 500 the impedance of which is much lower (23 ohms) and should be much easier to drive by X3. Any thoughts on this? 
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #34 of 43
The Yamaha PRO 500 are very efficient and easy to drive. I would not consider them the same sonic class of headphones as the HD650, though.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #35 of 43
Thanks a lot for your helpful input cel4145
wink.gif

Ι do not doubt that the HD650's are great headphones, but from what I can see it will obviously be a waste if I get them only to use with the X3. On the other hand, The PRO 500's are almost equally expensive without having the same capabilities, but at least they will be driven sufficiently by the X3 and I will obviously get the most out of them.

Any opinion on that would be welcome. 
smile.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #37 of 43
The X3 is well-suited to work with a very wide variety of headphones. It has an amp powerful enough to drive all but the most difficult to drive headphones, and the Sony MDR-ZX700 are not difficult to drive.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #38 of 43
Thanks for your reply. Sony Z700 is on sale for only $60 right now, but many said it has design faults and it just can't last. I'm also interested in 7506. I will appreciate if anyone share your experience with 7506 + X3.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #39 of 43
Any headphone you buy for under $100 will work fine with the X3. It's not until you get up to much more expensive, very difficult to drive headphones that you might wish you had a more powerful amp.

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #40 of 43
Any headphone you buy for under $100 will work fine with the X3. It's not until you get up to much more expensive, very difficult to drive headphones that you might wish you had a more powerful amp.

Yamaha PRO-500's cost well over $100 but taking into consideration their exceptionally low impedance -only 23 ohm's- I expect them to be driven sufficiently by the X3. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #42 of 43

Yamaha PRO-500's cost well over $100 but taking into consideration their exceptionally low impedance -only 23 ohm's- I expect them to be driven sufficiently by the X3. 
smily_headphones1.gif

You may call me a fool but I listen to the Fiio X3 with a pair of Sony MDR E818 earbuds that cost under $20. The sound I get is awesome at 52 level volume. The bass is great and the trebles and vocals are also great.
I have tested other headphones (and much more expensive ones), but I think I get the best sound with these cheap earbuds.
I really doubt both the Sennheiser HD 598 and Yamaha PRO-500 can sound better than my Sony MDR E818 earbuds with the Fiio X3.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #43 of 43
I would definitely go with Yamaha Pro 500s. For one simple reason, the 23ohm impedance is incredibly handy when delivering rich sound with the x3. Plus the 50mm drivers are insane i terms of bass. I adore the sound clarity with the pro 500. I have owned several audiophile grade headphones in the past and i would say they always perform up to their full potential when i play FLAC content through my yamaha amp (external). However, when it comes to portable devices, the impedance is a huge "impeding" factor. When i started using my x3 with my yamaha Pro 500 with volume gain set to low, i had to listen to audio constantly around volume of 65/120 with clarity still "Unbeatable". However, when i set my gain to high, i saw the clarity being maintained stunningly clear with thumping volume where i couldn't set volume over 50/120 with my Pro 500. I have never seen any headphone handle a portable device this efficient with this much amount of clarity. Once you listen to a 24bit FLAC track on FiiO X3 with yamaha Pro 500, trust me, you wouldn't want to think twice on any other headphone. Simply yet another beatable product from Yamaha for another unbeatable product from FiiO. ! The Wolfson 8740 paired with the pro 500s make one of the merriest sounds you ears could listen to ! A sound quality that would cost you at least $2000 can be achieved at cost of $500. Incredible !:)

If you have a second choice, my suggestion to you would be is go for any headphone with >40mm premium neodymium drivers and low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back