Best HD800 Amp
Aug 16, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #542 of 654
Thinker, you're wrong. Differences between headphones are easily heard and *measured*; check out Tyll's measurements. No cable has ever shown a difference with measurements. Ever.

The same argument applies to your line of reasoning, wink. You can actually *measure* the differences between amps and various components.

Just curious, do either of you receive commissions, have a financial interest in or receive any other compensation from the cable manufacturers? It's amazing how some people come from nowhere to prop up the industry while either contributing nothing or very little to other discussions here.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #543 of 654
Uncle Eric posted:-

Quote:
 The same argument applies to your line of reasoning, wink. You can actually *measure* the differences between amps and various components.

Uncle Eric, Only if you know what you are measuring and have the equipment for the task.

Quote:
 Just curious, do either of you receive commissions, have a financial interest in or receive any other compensation from the cable manufacturers? It's amazing how some people come from nowhere to prop up the industry while either contributing nothing or very little to other discussions here.

No, Uncle Eric.
Can you hear any difference in cables or interconnects?
If so, what do you ascribe the phenomenon to?

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #544 of 654
Personally, I can not definitively attest to weather or not recables make a difference.  I've had a few done and thought I noticed a difference, but I have never blind tested a pair with stock vs a recabled pair.  Even if they don't make a difference sonically as far as measurements, if the listener wants to hear a difference the simple fact is they will.  Food that is served in a more aesthetically pleasing way, in a more posh setting, and with better reviews is oftentimes be more accepted by the same food on a styrofoam plate.  In other words, if someone claims to hear a difference then they do.  If you look into any of the research that people such as Oliver Sacks have done (a particularly good documentary is "Tales of Music and the Brain" among a plethora of highly lauded publications,) it has been posited that something the emotion attaches itself to (like a favorite song by Strauss) effects the brain in a vastly different way than a song with no particular meaning.  If someone is attached to the notion that a recabled headphone makes a difference (says my illogical corollary) their brain will effectively make it so.  Spurious rambling post achieved!

Quote:
Thinker, you're wrong. Differences between headphones are easily heard and *measured*; check out Tyll's measurements. No cable has ever shown a difference with measurements. Ever.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #545 of 654

Quote:
Personally, I can not definitively attest to weather or not recables make a difference.  I've had a few done and thought I noticed a difference, but I have never blind tested a pair with stock vs a recabled pair.  Even if they don't make a difference sonically as far as measurements, if the listener wants to hear a difference the simple fact is they will.  Food that is served in a more aesthetically pleasing way, in a more posh setting, and with better reviews is oftentimes be more accepted by the same food on a styrofoam plate.  In other words, if someone claims to hear a difference then they do.  If you look into any of the research that people such as Oliver Sacks have done (a particularly good documentary is "Tales of Music and the Brain" among a plethora of highly lauded publications,) it has been posited that something the emotion attaches itself to (like a favorite song by Strauss) effects the brain in a vastly different way than a song with no particular meaning.  If someone is attached to the notion that a recabled headphone makes a difference (says my illogical corollary) their brain will effectively make it so.  Spurious rambling post achieved!

You're right. You can convince yourself of a lot of things, and emotional information inherent in senses makes the issue all the more complex. But, what about cable owners who perceive the same sound characteristics without ever having discussed them beforehand? That puts a dent into the theory of people imagining cable differences because surely, not everyone will imagine the same things.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #549 of 654
The best amp for the HD800’s may be no amp. Directly driven from a dual Buffalo II may be an interesting proposition and food for thought.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #550 of 654

Quote:
Inductance, resistance and capacitance can be measured.

Correct, and when I measured them, they turned out different. I measured the stock HD600 cable and my own one made of Neutrik NP3X-B, Cardas HPSC connectors and a studio cable similar to the Sommer used for the Beyerdynamic T1 model. The bandwidth of the cable was 300kHz for the stock one against 400kHz of the custom cable. Up to 20kHz, there were no measurable differences while I can't imagine a head-fi member who wouldn't recognize blindly which one is which. Below is the equipment used.
http://www.waynekerrtest.com/global/html/products/woundcomponent/3260.HTM

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #551 of 654
regular_smile .gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #555 of 654

Quote:
The best amp for the HD800’s may be no amp.

The direct connection to my source sounds better than any amp I heard, so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back