Best HD800 Amp
Jun 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #91 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohenk2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did compare my own L3000, an edition 8 & the HD800 on a Lehmann Audio Black Cube and Naim CDP. I liked the HD800/Lehmann combo, but the L3000 and Ultrasone (both closed) have more bass. The Ultrasone on a SPL Phonitor amp to much so for my liking. Can't say how the Lehmann compares to the Donald North amp. (Still like the L3000 best, but have ordered the HD800.)

From what I heard I would rank amps for the HD800 like this:
1) Lehmann Audio Black Cube
2/3) Naim and AT-HA5000
4) SPL Phonitor
Funny enough that's reverse to their cost... I only noticed after the listening sessions and ranking since there were no price tags.

Regarding the headphone comparisons: would you say the Ed 8 and L3000 bass also hit harder than the HD800? The only head-to-head that I was able to do at CJ was against the PS1000; the Grado had more, but it didn't have nearly the same impact.

Jun 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #92 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the headphone comparisons: would you say the Ed 8 and L3000 bass also hit harder than the HD800? The only head-to-head that I was able to do at CJ was against the PS1000; the Grado had more, but it didn't have nearly the same impact.

As for the L3000, it hits harder in my experience. Haven't heard the Edition 8. I would also say that the edition 9 has more impact from what I remember. But the HD800 has much better resolution than either the L3000 or the Edition 9(sorry, haven't heard the edition 8). The senns are definitely the most natural can I've heard to date.

Jun 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #93 of 654
From reading the posts in this thread, there are those that are using certain amps to bring out the basic, detailed character of the HD800's, while others are chosing to mate it with warmer-sounding amps (P-1, tubes) to temper it a bit.

Pick your poison.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #94 of 654
You do have to realize the overall state of sound of your system. The 800's need a speedy, fast leading edge, somewhat brighter system with a lot of focus (some would consider this effect as a "leaner" system) since the hd800s do have a starting point from where they are voiced.

I tend to voice my system a bit fuller and not for speed. Not a great thing for the mid range of the 800's where it can easily become too think and syrupy, obsucring the rest of the frequency spectrum. Luckily with an SDS-T I can change the voicing of the system drastically by using the adapters and the type of tubes used. The previous tubing that worked very well for the GS1000s (6bx7 out/6gu7 in) was like molasses with the 800s. Right now I am using what I consider a brighter/faster tube combo (5687 out/6f8g in). Unlistenable really with any Grados to me but makes the hd800s sing.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #95 of 654
Today, I decided to try my Mustang, set on "Hi" between my iMod and my 800's and I was shocked how easily the P-51 drove the Senns.
Didn't really get into soundstage and detail, just was happy that a portable of such minute size was able to drive the 800's with such ease.

Maybe I can ask Vinnie to boost the High gain setting on my Amphora.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #96 of 654
I've been listening to my HD800s with my Grace 902 (SE) and Cambridge audio 840cdp.

Very detailed but not a huge step up from the GS1000s. I kept trying to turn up the listeninig level to achieve more "body" from the recordings.

It was'nt until I changed my source to the SE tubed Ayon CD-1 (stolen from my speaker rig) that I really appreciated the HD800s. Dramatically better in every way.

I was almost ready to sell the 902.

In this case the Source made all the difference.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #97 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDuke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to my HD800s with my Grace 902 (SE) and Cambridge audio 840cdp.

Very detailed but not a huge step up from the GS1000s. I kept trying to turn up the listeninig level to achieve more "body" from the recordings.

It was'nt until I changed my source to the SE tubed Ayon CD-1 (stolen from my speaker rig) that I really appreciated the HD800s. Dramatically better in every way.

I was almost ready to sell the 902.

In this case the Source made all the difference.

Interesting, I’ll be trying the HD800’s through a balanced beta22 and a Cambridge Audio 840c. How does the 840 sound out of your speaker rig compared to your SE tubed Ayon CD-1?

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #98 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by cleophus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have sold $$$ of audio equipment to purchase the new 800 sennheisers.
yes, they are that good....
They make grado souund like an ipod product....:d

OUCH!
both Steve Jobs at Apple and John Grado just fainted.
atsmile.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #99 of 654
For the sake of value, I'm thinking Zana Deaux hits the sweet spot for my current 600's, as well as the 800's when I'm able to afford them. Does anyone have any other suggestions from a 'price paid vs. sound quality achieved' standpoint?

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #100 of 654
Thanks everyone on their input! This is a really great thread.

I just bought the HD800's which will be arriving soon. I am debating the following purchases and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts:

DAC: PS Audio D Link III (unmodified) vs Benchmark DAC1 vs CA DACMagic
Amp: DNA Sonett vs WA 6SE (stock) vs WA 6SE (maxed out)

I listen to classical, jazz and rock, I prefer a more precise sound and I especially like very large soundstages.

I plan to play everything off of an Oppo 981HD, though I was also thinking the PS3 could work too, though I was planning on having a separate listening area from the TV and PS3. With a nice DAC, would it make a difference whether played on the Oppo or the PS3?

Any other suggestions? I hope to spend around the options I've listed above. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #101 of 654
Well I have a used (Audiogon) unmoded Digital Link III on the way to me.
This DAC is on the warm side and should give the HD800 a nice sweet bodied sound.
The Gamma 1 I'm using now is simple, good and clean so it will be interesting to see if my investment is a good idea.
I will let you know after I listened to it.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #102 of 654
I’m having extremely good success with the following:
Cambridge Audio 840c > Beta22 > HD800 (stock cable re-terminated to balanced)

I was worried that the 840c might be a tiny brittle and lack body, I have a new respect for that player now.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #103 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was worried that the 840c might be a tiny brittle and lack body, I have a new respect for that player now.

I was starting to worry that the 840C was losing its sterling reputation, too. Good to see this was unfounded, to your ears at least
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #104 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was starting to worry that the 840C was losing its sterling reputation, too. Good to see this was unfounded, to your ears at least
smily_headphones1.gif

I’m really starting to wonder what the Sabre32’s going to bring to the table, it better have a big bag of tricks, it’s going to need them.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #105 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good, thanks. I haven't had a chance to take the HD800s out of the box yet. My ears are calibrated to the HD650s with the ZD, so I'm looking forward to getting some time in with the new cans. I seem to recall the 650s getting better and better over 250 hours or so, so I wonder whether all the present brouhaha will sort itself out in a few months when folks anxious to post impressions get some time on their drivers. But then, what do I know. Will be interested in your impressions.

-Tim

Finally got them out of the box today, and plugged into the ZD. Only vinyl so far, but will try the NAD shortly. Out of the box, I find them to be very transparent, combining the good bits from the AKG 701 and the HD 600. I can echo the comments in the new Stereophile review. My initial impression is that they will eventually end up in my top three. I'm still stuck on the Sen n600 with the ZD but my early impressions are that the 800 may displace it shortly.

-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back