Best Gaming Headsets (Not Headphones + Mic)
May 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

xiton

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I know, I know. The first thing people will say is to get a good pair of headphones and a zalman mic, or something similar. Ideally, this will give me the best audio, but I do not like the mic quality or voice sound when doing it this way.

I'm looking for a headset that produces good quality audio for gaming, excellent voice, and are very durable. I swear all of my headphones or headsets tend to break on me, and while I'm not very hard on them, I'm sure I could do a bit better. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. :)

May 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 19
As an affordable choice, I like the Astro Gaming A30 (more than the Astro A40). The A30 sounds good, even with music. The boom microphone on it is very good, specifically in terms of voice clarity. For recording purposes, the mic can sound a bit thin, but I get ridiculously good accuracy with it with Dragon Dictate, and people tell me I sound very clear with it via Skype.

If you want to step it up, and have the budget for them:

Closed: beyerdynamic MMX 300. It's like an aviation headset, but for gaming. Has beyerdynamic "DT" sound. Better, more full range mic than the A30. Built like a tank. Limited experience with it, but thinking of picking one up to add to my headset arsenal. Comes with cool USB DAC thingie.

Open: Sennheiser PC 360. Sennheiser HD 555'ish sound. Again, a very nice microphone on it (which is no surprise for anyone familiar with Sennheiser microphones). Again, limited experience with it, but may pick one up to replace my very beat-up old Sennheiser PC 166 USB (from which I'd poach its dual-miniplug USB adapter).

May 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 19
I have the Astro A40 system with the wired amp. I must say I have no regrets. The mic is brilliant, and although the headphones may not be the best for music, They are extremely comfortable (can ware then for as long as I desire) and the imaging is absolutely amazing for games, especially with a 5.1 dolby input. They do their Job perfectly. 

Although I was really considering getting the A30 instead of the A40. The only difference would be that the A30 would have more isolation and maybe less comfortability. Either way though you can't go wrong. 

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the many PC gaming headsets out there, but the Astros do the job amazingly. 

Hope this helps :)

May 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
...Although I was really considering getting the A30 instead of the A40. The only difference would be that the A30 would have more isolation and maybe less comfortability. Either way though you can't go wrong...

I have the A40 (2011 edition) and A30, and they definitely sound different. As you've mentioned the A40 is very good for gaming, but it just falls apart with music, to my ears, wooly and soft. It's strange, though, as, with games, I don't hear that from the A40 (I like it for gaming). The A30 has a tauter lower end, and better clarity throughout, and it's actually good with music (for a budget gaming headset not made by beyerdynamic or Sennheiser).

Isolation with the A30 is marginally better than the A40 (though it's closed, I don't find the A30 isolates very well). And you're right that the A40 is more comfortable.

May 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

I have the A40 (2011 edition) and A30, and they definitely sound different. As you've mentioned the A40 is very good for gaming, but it just falls apart with music, to my ears, wooly and soft. It's strange, though, as, with games, I don't hear that from the A40 (I like it for gaming). The A30 has a tauter lower end, and better clarity throughout, and it's actually good with music (for a budget gaming headset not made by beyerdynamic or Sennheiser).

Isolation with the A30 is marginally better than the A40 (though it's closed, I don't find the A30 isolates very well). And you're right that the A40 is more comfortable.

Take his word over mine haha. 

You are completely right with music, its tolerable, but I always use my HD25's for music. The A40's are great for gaming though, as I would imagine the A30's are. 
About the Isolation, I thought they would have much more isolation than the A40's... I know my HD25's are on-ear and have loads more isolation than my A40's. Oh well, again, take his word over mine. 

May 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 19
I am currently using a pair of modded PC350s. They sound decent enough. If I were you, I would jump on the Beyers as they look quite substantial as far as build quality. Since you are seeking durability this might be the ticket in your case.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 19
I find my d2000's work very well for gaming.  Quite a bit better than my astro's actually.  Gave my A30's away and have the 2012 Edition A40's limited edition blue.  I enjoy the long gaming sessions with the A40's more.  The sound is not engaging at all with the a40's but just the opposite with the Denon's.  The softer sound of the Astro's full spectrum really allows longer gaming sessions.  The Denon's do get your eardrums a little tired after a while but the more engaging sound, to me, is more competitive.  Because it's so engaging i don't have to try and listen for those little ques of footsteps or guns reloading.  I just hear them and instinctively turn and start shooting.   I actually noticed this to be quite a bit more noticeable on a game i have been playing a lot lately ( pulled me away from Duty,)  Gotham City Impostors.
Now i did say that the Denon's will tire your eardrums after a while but don't let that pull you away from them.  The Astro's are the only headphones i have heard that have the softer sound.  Most manufactures make their headphones replicate audio as close to original as possible.  Therefore most headphones will tire you out after a while.  Also the low-impedance of the Denon ah series makes them ideal for running off the mixamp.  I have used my Denon's in my mixamp for a while now and find that it does better than my Denon receivers headphone input.
Just ordered a Schiit Asgard off Amazon with next day Saturday delivery.  This will be my first full Semi audiophile system.  Can't wait.

Spotify Premium, HDTRACKS downloads >Foobar> asio4all> PeachTree Audio DAC*IT> Schitt Asgard> Unmodded AH-D2000

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 19
For budget ideas something likea Xonar DG/X-Fi and stuff like Samson SR850, Superlux 668 or JVC RX700 punches above their weight 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 19
So i got my Asgard to go with my Denon's today.  i'm so scared i might have to sell my whole rig.  I just don't like it.  mp3 format is completely unbearable.  My 192,000 files.  Better music seperation .  i like that.  Here comes the vocals...omg this is horrible. Grainy, not quite larger soundstage but stretched out vocals that have a loss in body. I'm so mad.  Behind the veil of slight graininess from the 192's i all i get is a sense or dryness but the highs are actually quite juicy, not to bright.  

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 19
Astros and Sennheiser are a mistake. Get the Beyerdynamic MMX 300. I'll spare you of the details and do searching yourself. I'll say that I've tested them all and Beyer is a league of its own. Seriously.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 19
thanks lol, the amp just needed to burn-in.  maybe the asgard has potential but not $250 worth of potential with the denons. i am in the process of figuring out how to afford a pair of orthodynamic headphones. the dynamic drivers in the denons are waaaaay to slow and there is a lot of decay on a lot of tracks. really don't see this being a problem with orthos.  hopefully they have good sound stage and imagine with dolby haha.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 19
all right well i'm not as hung over today lol

i like the denon's but they are a little echo-e-ish and bass wise the driver doesn't know how to not pop forward during initial excursion.  Sound stage isn't bad but the sound still sounds a little constricted like it wants to extend further but can't because of the enclosed headphone.  Makes sense now and i get the echo., the sounds are probably bouncing back.  Maybe the sounds bouncing off of plastic is what hurts my ears because the echo is ear piercing.  The laid back sound is quite nice and if the echo wasn't there it would sound  quite mellow. I do like the mellow sound but voicing wise it doesn't seem that natural.  The highs are ok but i can not comment on the timbre of them because i don't really know the sound of many instruments by ear to judge them to i do know they are not energetic to me at all. actually everytime i hear them i wish they sounded more like my hd598's.
I think the lawton audio mods would help with these headphones tremendously.  The larger cups and to help with the confined sound and dampening material in the cup to reduce echo.  The dampening material on the driver would probably help weigh it down to keep it from trying to punch you in the face and allow it be much tighter.  I really want to keep the denon's now that i am talking myself into the mods lol.  I think i want to try Beyerrdynamic T1's or go for the seductive Audez'e lcd-2's.  Decisions decisions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back