Best fullsize around $50?
Oct 30, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #16 of 26
No, actually my RX700 isn't what you would buy since I have it radically modified - see the link in my sig. And I wasn't thinking about buying the Auvio since I already have too many headphones, but I might if it goes on sale... lol. Best thing to do is try it out for yourself with your drum module. You could also search Auvio and read what another Head-Fier posted about it.   

Quote:
I might do that; however I can only audition the Auvio Concert Class around here because I don't know a place that has the RX700.  
Could you possibly compare them to the RX700?

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #17 of 26
I love my V6s and use them pretty much every day when messing with GarageBand or other such applications.

That said, they can be a touch sibilant with some material. 

The Sennheiser HD515 isn't super well-regarded here, but as several places are blowing them out at $50 or less now they might be worth a look for a comfy full-size.  I like mine almost as much as HD555 fwiw.

Oct 31, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #18 of 26
I've selected the RX700 unless someone can tell me about the HD 428.

1Time you've advised against them but to give you some info on what I find comfortable for drumming; I found the AD700 comfy and quite nice for drumming just a bit loose. The SRH840 was a bit heavy which I didn't mind too much but the coiled cable was a pain.

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 26
If you think the SRH840 was heavy then you are in for a world of hurt with the RX700, for me I loved the way it sounded but hated the size and the weight. I actually got neck pains cause I was jut used to how heavy it was. I got mine for $25 used and fully modded which is a really good deal, but I wouldn't drum in these either.

I replaced mine with Sony MDR-XB500's and found them not only more pleasing to my ears but also much lighter and more comfortable. For me at the Sub$50 headphone range these are great cans. The mids and the highs are just right, not veiled and warm, not bright and airy. The bass is full bodied with plenty of punch. Overall they are by an order of magnitude more fun then my RX700's.

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #20 of 26
I've never heard of the HD428 until now. But after reading the specs and a few reviews, I'm guessing you would find it a better buy for your drumming than the RX700. The HD428 is more efficient and so it's more likely a better match with your source, and it looks like it would fit nicely without moving around while drumming. And, it is significantly lighter than the RX700, which is heavy. Modifications and additional amplification are often recommended for the RX700, which does not mean you could not use it in stock form from your source. The XB500 is an interesting option, but I suspect the HD428 would stay put on your head better than the Sony while drumming. Of the headphones mentioned in this thread, the AD700 would be the most likely to move around loosely while drumming.

Originally Posted by bisayaboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've selected the RX700 unless someone can tell me about the HD 428.

1Time you've advised against them but to give you some info on what I find comfortable for drumming; I found the AD700 comfy and quite nice for drumming just a bit loose. The SRH840 was a bit heavy which I didn't mind too much but the coiled cable was a pain.

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #21 of 26
Well finally I have moved towards the HD 428.

The RX700 may indeed sound better but comfort/heaviness may be an issue.
The HD 428 should be very comfortable and its sound should be pretty good too; may not sound as good as the RX700 but possibly more balanced and more neutral/natural.

Any other opinions before I pull the trigger?

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #22 of 26

HD428 is a good choice, although I did not find it more comfortable than the RX700's. I think the comfort is the same, the RX700 is just a little bit heavier. I don't recall the way the 428's clamped on the head, they seemed loose to me. Maybe it's because I didn't adjust the headband. You should like them though, let us know how they are.
Quote:
Well finally I have moved towards the HD 428.

The RX700 may indeed sound better but comfort/heaviness may be an issue.
The HD 428 should be very comfortable and its sound should be pretty good too; may not sound as good as the RX700 but possibly more balanced and more neutral/natural.

Any other opinions before I pull the trigger?

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
HD428 is a good choice, although I did not find it more comfortable than the RX700's. I think the comfort is the same, the RX700 is just a little bit heavier. I don't recall the way the 428's clamped on the head, they seemed loose to me. Maybe it's because I didn't adjust the headband. You should like them though, let us know how they are.

Well it's posts like these that make me swing back and forth.
biggrin.gif

Can you possibly compare the sound between the RX700 and the HD 428 for me? 

Also does the HD 428 start to move off of your head if you moved your head down? If you adjusted the HD 428 how well does it stay on your head when moving your head?

Edit: My sound references are the Beyerdynamic DT880 (2005/250 ohm), SRH840, AD700, and DBA-02. If you could compare them any of those headphones it can help.

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #24 of 26
I haven't listened to the 428's in a long time, that said I think either is fine. Just buy the 428's from a seller who has a return policy, if you don't like them then you can return them.
Quote:
Well it's posts like these that make me swing back and forth.
biggrin.gif

Can you possibly compare the sound between the RX700 and the HD 428 for me? 

Also does the HD 428 start to move off of your head if you moved your head down? If you adjusted the HD 428 how well does it stay on your head when moving your head?

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
I haven't listened to the 428's in a long time, that said I think either is fine. Just buy the 428's from a seller who has a return policy, if you don't like them then you can return them.

Good idea. I might just do that.

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #26 of 26
Apologies, last thread was the wrong thread I posted in... this is the thread I want to post in:
All I want to say thank you guys in helping me purchase the HD428.

Now for my impressions:

They look quite decent and modern. The design is really good, kudos to Sennheiser in really making these fit the head naturally; gimmick there. Very comfy.
The build is quite average. Holding it feels really cheap and the cable is super thin but I'm a pretty gentle user so I'm not too worried in breaking these.

The sound. I had NO IDEA that sound at $30-40 could sound so good! I was only going to use these for drumming but occasionally I listen to these for fun over my DT880.
This cheap headphone holds my sound signature within it's cheap plastic and flimsy cable. It has definitely become one of my favorite headphones of all time and I can recommend this to anyone.

Bass- Very clean, highly detailed, and very present. Perhaps warm to some people. Very decent impact. I just love the bass on these.
Mids- Lush, highly detailed. Perhaps a bit forward. The mids sound great and have an intimate close feeling.
Highs - Slightly recessed yet still present. Slightly dark perhaps. Very natural and smooth treble.  Love the treble on these too.

The only problem with these is the extension. They don't extend to the absolute ends of the frequency range however everything else is done VERY WELL.

In short, a balanced, natural, smooth, pleasent, non-fatuiging, slightly live, intimate, slightly dark, detailed headphone.

Oh and they are awesome with my electronic drum kit so thank you guys again very much for finding the right headphone for the right situation but I think  got more than I wanted!
biggrin.gif

If this is Sennheiser's sound sig, I may have to trade my DT880 for a HD650...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back