bisayaboi

500+ Head-Fier
What's important is:
1. Comfort
2. Some head clamp
3. Straight cable
4. Sound quality
5. Easy to drive

No portables, ultra-portables, or IEM's.

Already looking at: Sony MDR-V6, Sony MDR-7506, Beyerdynamic DT235 PRO, Sennheiser HD428, Shure SRH240, ATH-M30/5, ATH-M40FS

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 26

Quote:
JVX HA-RX700, that is assuming you are using these for drumming

I actually am but I didn't mention it this time because I don't really need isolation or anything because I play on an electric set.

That said, how do these compare to the others?

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 26
How well do they stay on the head (head clamping)? For example if I were to rapidly move my head or suddenly move my head down would they stay on?

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 26
The RX700 is fully adjustable - as tight or as loose as you want. You would have no problem with them staying put or falling off - whatever you want.

Edit: but the RX700 is huge and heavier than most - probably not a good choice for drumming. 

FWIR, I also suggest considering the Auvio concert class headphones sold by Radio Shack.

Quote:
How well do they stay on the head (head clamping)? For example if I were to rapidly move my head or suddenly move my head down would they stay on?

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 26
How is the DT-235, M30 and SRH-240 not considered portable and full size? They're very small, especially the DT-235.
I also don't think you can find the MDR-V6 for $50 unless you get a used pair or get lucky. They retail for $100 usually.

Since the Koss UR-55 is about the same size as the SRH-240 I'd suggest that. It's especially good for rock music like Pearl Jam. The comfort is good on them as long as you don't have a huge head. I find they sound far better then my Porta Pro and are more comfortable and a lot larger.

I also do like my DT-235. They sound really good for the price of under $50. They're not the most accurate headphones ever, but I don't really have any complaints about them. I'm glad I bought them. Strangely, I like the vocal quality on them more then the DT-770 and 880 I've tried! Not sure why that is.

M30 is very, very boring, but I like them at times and will keep them. It seems completely neutral and it's hard for me to suggest them. For people that say the SRH-840 and k701 is boring, wait until you try this! I prefer them to my old MDR-V6.

I'd take M30 off the list because it's not all that easy to drive. Really needs an amp.

EDIT: DT-235 has no head clamp for me at all. It's very loose, but comfortable. Feels secure though.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
The RX700 is fully adjustable - as tight or as loose as you want. You would have no problem with them staying put or falling off - whatever you want.

FWIR, I also suggest considering the Auvio concert class headphones sold by Radio Shack.

I'll definitely take a look.

Quote:
How is the DT-235, M30 and SRH-240 not considered portable and full size? They're very small, especially the DT-235.
I also don't think you can find the MDR-V6 for $50 unless you get a used pair or get lucky. They retail for $100 usually.

Since the Koss UR-55 is about the same size as the SRH-240 I'd suggest that. It's especially good for rock music like Pearl Jam. The comfort is good on them as long as you don't have a huge head. I find they sound far better then my Porta Pro and are more comfortable and a lot larger.

I also do like my DT-235. They sound really good for the price of under $50. They're not the most accurate headphones ever, but I don't really have any complaints about them. I'm glad I bought them. Strangely, I like the vocal quality on them more then the DT-770 and 880 I've tried! Not sure why that is.

M30 is very, very boring, but I like them at times and will keep them. It seems completely neutral and it's hard for me to suggest them. For people that say the SRH-840 and k701 is boring, wait until you try this! I prefer them to my old MDR-V6.

I'd take M30 off the list because it's not all that easy to drive. Really needs an amp.

EDIT: DT-235 has no head clamp for me at all. It's very loose, but comfortable. Feels secure though.

Well I don't wear over-ear outside unless they are ultra-portable (think ATH-ES7); most of these cans are for studio use anyway.

I actually did find the SRH840 to be boring; can you tell me more about the V6?

Don't worry about me finding a V6 at $50 I can be pretty resourceful.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Leaning toward RX700. Anybody have any other opinions?

It comes down to the RX700 vs the MDR V6/7506. The better sounding of the two will be the one I get.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 26
Oct 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 26
Depends on synergy and preference. You're going to plug your new headphones into what equipment? 

Edit:
Another thing to consider is what you'll be using the headphones for - I refer to this as utility. Due to the size of the RX700 and that is often found to sound much better with modification and additional amplification, I think it may not be the best choice for drumming. 

FWIR...
The Sony V6 is known to sound bright with a potentially fatiguing sound. My concern here would be how well it would fit and wear for drumming - I don't know. 

I suspect the Auvio concert class headphones - Radio Shack - would be a very good choice for you in this price range. I own the Auvio CH102 - also Radio Shack - and it is surprisingly good (with adequate amplification) - a keeper. 

Quote:
Disregard the price. Which sounds better?

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
Depends on synergy and preference. You're going to plug your new headphones into what equipment? 

It's going to be unamped; mainly connected to my electronic drum module.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 26
Who knows how good the headphone out for your electronic drum module is, so I suggest going to Radio Shack and choosing whichever sounds best to you - return what you don't like. The CH102 is called Retro - a small / portable - I own it. But the one that fits around the ears is the "concert class" for $50 - good construction and adjustable - can be easily modified for a potentially better sound (optional). 

Quote:
It's going to be unamped; mainly connected to my Electronic Drum Module.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 26
I've never heard the v6s but if there bright then any kind of high hat/cymbol etc could be very annoying after a bit.

I'd def try to find a shop or some one who owns these phones and try them out.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
I've never heard the v6s but if there bright then any kind of high hat/cymbol etc could be very annoying after a bit.

I'd def try to find a shop or some one who owns these phones and try them out.

Quote:
Who knows how good the headphone out for your electronic drum module is, so I suggest going to Radio Shack and choosing whichever sounds best to you - return what you don't like. The CH102 is called Retro - a small / portable - I own it. But the one that fits around the ears is the "concert class" for $50 - good construction and adjustable - can be easily modified for a potentially better sound (optional). 

I might do that; however I can only audition the Auvio Concert Class around here because I don't know a place that has the RX700.

Could you possibly compare them to the RX700?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back