Best full sized headphones under US 50 but lightweight.
Jul 31, 2011 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

headfi1234

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

Im basically an engineering college student who uses his headphones every day, at least 7 hours per day while doing homework and other things. 

I need some suggestions as to what the best sound quality headphone could be under 50 bucks.

Ive looked into the harx700 but i have the impression that it could be too much weight for the amount of time I want to use my headphones for. 

Also, Ive looked in the koss portapro, but my worry is that the sound quality may be much worse than lets say for example a ath-m30 or a akg k99.

What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 11
What kind of signature do you want for your headphones? I'll assume that you'd like bassy headphone because that is a very common thing among teenagers (me included), I'm guessing that comfort would be the most important thing for you. So a very obvious recommendation would be the sony xb500, go try them out at best buy or something, they are loved here on head fi 
atsmile.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 11
large soundstage under 50? probably gunna be hard dude, honestly. If you are looking for soundstage, really just get speakers for that price. Otherwise, the portapro is great for rock and metal and is cheap as all hell. Even the koss ksc75 is great, only $10 too (and opens up even more with kramer mod). I love how cymbals sound on my ksc75's, like a box of cymbals being dropped haha

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 11
try and stretch your budget to get the grado sr60s.

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Koss UR40 is the exceptionally comfortable headphone and it is very light-weight. There are some headphones under $50 which sound better, say Yuin G2A. Nevertheless, UR40 sounds good enough to recommend it for the best combo of comfort and SQ. PortaPro has similar sound, while it is less comfortable.

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 11
My favorites are the Beyer Dynamic DT-235 and the Maxell DHP-II. The Maxell is a bit hard to find though now. It's been replaced by the DHP-III I believe.
Don't forget the Superlux HD668B if you don't mind a headphone with slightly recessed mids and a lot of treble and bass. I'm not a fan of it's signature, but for the price it's pretty impression.
It has a ton of detail, good soundstage, is comfortable and is very clear. Ok, so I guess it's not lightweight..close

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 11
Wouldn't the JVC HAS700 be a great choice for the original poster?  I can't say for sure as I have never heard them but I am considering them myself and my requirements are very similar to the OP and from what research I have done here they seem ideal and only around $30.  I thought they supposedly have good sound quality all around and above all super light & comfortable.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 11
I've been doing  a lot of research around the forum and im just amazed at the general consensus there is for the best sound quality headphones there is under 80 bucks (sr60 or sony v6). Perhaps I should really look into waiting a while, saving up a little more money and buying one of these two instead. The one that really stand out is the grado sr60, because of its weight (130 grams) and its sound characteristic, which many on the forum say it's superior to the v6 for rock/metal. There wasn't a lot of information as to the sound stage for these two headphone. Perhaps I'll investigate a little further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back