Best/favorite concept album?
Sep 21, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #34 of 68
"Dusk at Cubist Castle," the Olivia Tremor Control.

One of the underappreciated classics from the 1990s. It has great reviews and those who know it love it, but there aren't too many of us.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #36 of 68
Two classic hip-hop concept albums:

Dr. Octagon (Kool Keith) - Dr. Octagonecologyst (1997)
Futuristic / strange doctor with some funny clips thrown in

Deltron 3030 (2000)
A hero fights against corporations in the future (or something)

Both of these albums are produced by Dan the Automator so the production is absolutely great. If you aren't partial to the lyrics to Deltron 3030 I know there's a instrumental version floating around...

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #37 of 68
The Frogs have some great concept albums, my favorites being It's Only Right And Natural, a pro-tolerance album with overtly homosexual lyrics, and Starjob, a tribute to the birth and death of the "Grunge" music scene.

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #38 of 68
Tod Rundgren - A Wizard/A True Star

Don't know why, but I go back to this album a bit. I love the second half when he sort of gets a grip of himself. The medley is my favorite track. I think it's wonderfully raw and to the point.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #40 of 68

Quote:
Probably "The Wall" and "Tommy"

Classics.
smily_headphones1.gif

X2

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #41 of 68
Definitely Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull.

Also, I don't know if it really counts - but Safe As Milk by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band comes to mind.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #43 of 68
Sometimes things change when older threads are revived...
Favorite full-on, no question recent "concept album" in the prog sense is Mike Keneally, 'Scambot 1'.  Not only is it a concept album, but it's part one of a projected trilogy.  And as a point of interest here, it is "Dedicated to anyone who still listens to whole albums with headphones" !

Quote:
Do you know any modern concept album, [...] it seems they died with vinyl [...]  Any suggestion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back