Best engine sound - for all you car nuts
Apr 26, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #76 of 101
Good points. Indeed they can't compete on reliability. I owned Nissans, Hondas, and Inifitis that never had any problems, but they just weren't any fun to drive. I'm personally willing to deal with some reliability issues to have fun. I've been thoroughly let down by the latest Lexus models though, they've really lost their identity while it seems while Infiniti and Acura have found their niches. Acura just needs to figure out they can't keep putting 280hp engines in FWD cars- I've tried my father's Acura TL-S a few times and the thing is a deathtrap! My only problem with japanese cars is that none of the cars I've driven had the bank-vault feel of german cars, all of them felt loose (not broken, but chasis, suspension, steering, and brakes felt "off") after a year or so.

I would love to see a return to lighter cars. The 135 was very promising, but like you said it's hideous and I was very disappointed to see it's barely lighter (and cheaper) than a 335. They definitely dropped the ball there, but I doubt we'll ever see 2000# cars outside of exotics again with all the safety features included in cars these days.

VW seems promising on the MPG front though (I'm biased, I own a MkV GLI
smily_headphones1.gif
). I would love to see their Twincharger (supercharger+turbo) engines in the states. They have a 1.4L producing 170hp/200ft-lb and returning something like 35city/48hwy IIRC. They also have a 1.6L with 200 or 240hp and similar mileage. Unfortunately Americans won't buy it when they can get a V6 so it's likely not coming here
frown.gif
I'd also love to see their Hybrid diesels come to the states, that car destroys the Prius in mileage and they managed to make it look like a normal Rabbit.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #77 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely think BMW's peak was the E30 M3 in the late 80's/early 90's. Their engines keep getting better, but the cars are just getting bloated. The engineer in me is floored by their current-gen M and twin-turbo 6 engines, but I think VW/Audi is producing more appealing overall cars. It's a stretch to call them the most overrated/overpriced with all the Chryslers, Hummers, Jaguars, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, Bentleys, etc. of the world though. I encourage you to support your claim as I have many friends and connections at various levels in the industry (engineers, tuners, amateur drivers) that actually think quite highly of BMW- people that I trust with well justified opinions, so I'd like to know where you're coming from. I realize that the majority of BMW owners will never use their car to it's full potential, but that doesn't negate the capabilities of the car.

Agree 200 billion percent. The new M's are faster and more powerful, but they are also HUGE and extremely heavy. I feel the same about all german cars though, even Audi/VW. I like my 2600lb Hondas a lot.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #79 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree 200 billion percent. The new M's are faster and more powerful, but they are also HUGE and extremely heavy. I feel the same about all german cars though, even Audi/VW. I like my 2600lb Hondas a lot.

The new CAFE standards look like they're help quite a bit. A lot of mfrs are starting to talk about trimming weight... finally! I doubt we'll get back to 1980's weights any time soon with all the safety systems nowdays, but 4000# sedans are just ludicrous. Take out the sound deadening between the cabin and engine and spend the money on a carbon fiber roof please. Ditch the chrome rims and give me 20# wheels
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #81 of 101
Apologies for the thread revival but just heard the Mazda Furai Concept. Nice and more nice!

Oh and dgbiker1, the comment about Jags being overrated/overpriced - Do you mean the new XF and XK8/R or are you talking about older models? I'd love one of the new ones - getting a lot of praise from certain corners.

I'm not a fan of BMW myself (seem a bit soul less/clinical to me) but I do respect the engineering.

May 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #82 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apologies for the thread revival but just heard the Mazda Furai Concept. Nice and more nice!

Damn! Thats some engine music...

May 15, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #83 of 101
A Big Block Chevy before 1972 going through Flow Masters.

May 16, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #85 of 101
I'm not sure whether I'm hearing the engine or the exhaust, but I really love the Gallardo and 360 when the butterfly valves open. The SLR McLaren has an almost truck-like quality to it but sounds quite nice when the rpms rack up. The E55's supercharged V8 is also a treat to listen to when going at full whack. Lastly, I really like the 'howl' of the Carrera GT.

May 16, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #86 of 101
I submit for you, two unholy creations:

240Z w/ supercharged LS1

240Z w/ turbocharged 2JZ

The LS1 in the first clip has the exact loping idle I want in mine, if it ever becomes a reality. Assuming I have enough time off work/money this summer, I'll hopefully be building a (sadly NA, unless I find a wrecked LS1 with a Procharger or something) 240Z LS1/T56 swap.

The second has the amazing 2JZ. It sounds so beautifully angry. I considered doing that swap, but it makes the LS1 swap look easy. 2 cylinders longer compared to the V8. Not to mention LS1 parts are easier to find than 2JZ.

May 16, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #89 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E55's supercharged V8 is also a treat to listen to when going at full whack.

I got another good listen (and fast ride) in my Dads CL55 ///AMG today.

It is so fast, its unreal, its a four seater car with massaging seats, and a TV, no Noble.

Heard it at max revs today (~7k) for the fist time in a few weeks, and wow, i hope heaven sounds like it!

Matt

May 16, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #90 of 101
More muted inside the CL55 than the E55 but just as nice outside. That high whine is nice isn't. You're a lucky kid
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back