Best engine sound - for all you car nuts
Apr 25, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #61 of 101
Porsche 911 Turbo
smily_headphones1.gif
Yum.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #62 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you knew what I meant why the sarcastic ******* response?

Neither of my replies were sarcastic, although after reading your SUV thread I can see how you are under the impression that everyone is out to get you.

A quick Google search would turn up that the only ProDrive iteration to ever be featured on Top Gear was the P2. Very basic deduction skills would then lead to the conclusion that the P2 was the one he was referring to. Now there's a cup of sarcasm for you. Enjoy.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #64 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither of my replies were sarcastic,

Uh huh.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #65 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle
A quick Google search would turn up that the only ProDrive iteration to ever be featured on Top Gear was the P2.

Ah, it was the only Prodrive to be featured on the current iteration of Top Gear. However, you do more commonly find the P1 being labeled as the Impreza P1, not the Prodrive P1, even though it was Prodrive's doing. Before the TG/5thG split, Tiff tested a P1 on TG, along with an Evo 6, a Skyline GTR, and a 911 Turbo. Unfortunately, very few know about the P1, probably because it got caught in with the million other Impreza specials that were produced.
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #66 of 101
My favourite in person is the Mercedes 5.5l V8 twin supercharged, then AMGeed. Hear in person a few times a week, when i see my dad, and the CL55 ///AMG!

Im partial to a bit of Ferrari 360 LM (is it? The tuned up one with huge rear wing? and 0-60 in ~3.6 seconds?)

I also like the Continental GT roar. But i personally prefer the sound of a bit of the AMG!

EDIT: Fogrgot one, the Ascari A10 "Tank Buster" as JC called it in his latest dvd. It is meaty! Sorry if it has been mentioned (most probably!)

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #69 of 101
Apr 26, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #71 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds a bit raspy.

All the M5 V10s sound like tractor engines at idle, but you'd think it's a Formula 1 at 8250RPM.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #73 of 101
I'd have to agree. I don't really like them much. I think my subaru sounds better than that M5.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #74 of 101
I definitely think BMW's peak was the E30 M3 in the late 80's/early 90's. Their engines keep getting better, but the cars are just getting bloated. The engineer in me is floored by their current-gen M and twin-turbo 6 engines, but I think VW/Audi is producing more appealing overall cars. It's a stretch to call them the most overrated/overpriced with all the Chryslers, Hummers, Jaguars, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, Bentleys, etc. of the world though. I encourage you to support your claim as I have many friends and connections at various levels in the industry (engineers, tuners, amateur drivers) that actually think quite highly of BMW- people that I trust with well justified opinions, so I'd like to know where you're coming from. I realize that the majority of BMW owners will never use their car to it's full potential, but that doesn't negate the capabilities of the car.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #75 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think BMW's peak was the E30 M3. Their engines keep getting better, but the cars are just getting bloated. The engineer in me is floored by their current-gen M and twin-turbo 6 engines, but I think VW/Audi is producing more appealing overall cars. It's a stretch to call them the most overrated/overpriced with all the Chryslers, Hummers, Jaguars, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, Bentleys, etc. of the world though.

I couldn't agree more, except for that last sentence. I'd take a Lexus or Acura, any model, over a BMW any day of the week. Then again, I'm a huge fan of reliability. Something German manufacturers don't know anything about because they are constantly trying to attempt putting the latest and greatest of technology in their rides instead of tried and true designs.

The E30 M3 was truly a drivers car. I had high hopes for the 135i but the exterior was just a complete failure to my eyes. That sagging pot belly look just isn't going to cut it.

With the gas prices rising, and having been doing so for a few years now, I'm wondering when the manufacturers are going to take us back to the days of 2,000 lb. cars that get 35-50 mpg simply due to lack of weight? Probably won't happen anytime soon due to all of the silly crash standards put in place "for our safety". Tis a shame. If you look back at the 88-95 Honda Civic VX and the CRX models, those cars were getting crazy gas mileage for their time and they were actually fun to drive due to that lack of weight and how quickly they could corner even without power steering. Is the fit and finish on them anywhere near a current BMW? Of course not, but at least you can buy one in cash for less than $3,000 and not have to do anything to them but oil changes for a couple of years. The Miata is another car that is a true blast to drive but gets crapped on due to its looks and being labeled "a hairdresser's car". Take one for a spirited drive though and you won't walk away with that impression anymore. With a good Koni suspension setup those things will corner better than 95% of the cars on the market, used and new.

I really do like where Audi/VW is headed right now. That DSG transmission is mindblowing. I wouldn't mind owning a GTI or an A3 but the gas mileage will need to improve before I consider switching over from the Japanese models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back