Best engine sound - for all you car nuts
Apr 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #16 of 101
Very few cars scare me. This car scares me. I've never heard such a brutal wail and no recording can do it justice. Watching this car in person will make your hair stand on end:

Porsche RS Spyder

On the "production" end of things, the Corvette C6R is also one bad, bad machine, and at speed, gives off a very respectable, bubbly growl. Very deep, very American:

Corvette C6R

I'm also a big fan of the Panoz Esperante GTLM and one truly needs to experience the ghostly silence and speed of the Audi R10 TDI.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #17 of 101
I always loved hearing that thing warm up- the idles sounds like a pissed off wart hog
wink.gif
hands down fav as well

UOTE=catscratch;4126065]Right, let's get down to it. What's the best sounding engine you've ever heard? Doesn't have to be in person.

My favorite is the Mazda 787B. Just can't believe the fierce howl of a 4-rotor at full tilt.

YouTube - Mazda 787B at Mazda Miyoshi prooving ground (2)

The BRM V16 comes to mind too. Way ahead of its time and as such plagued by reliability issues, but man, that sound...

YouTube - BRM V16 Engine Sound[/QUOTE]

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #18 of 101
anthony hopkins drives one of these in the movie "Fractured" (pretty good flick) and there is a part where he takes off from an airplane hanger that really gets you drooling

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The motor in that car is actually a V10 and yes, that would be my choice as well as far as production cars are concerned. Sweet glorious exhaust notes.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #22 of 101
Old American, tuned V8 engines. Nothing sounds as good as RAW, bassy rumble and earsplitting ROAR of bass and searing treble when revved up. Dunno why but US V8 has always sounded better than EU ones. Second best are Ferrari V12 engines, or any supercar big engines be it ferrari, pagani or lambo. But those are cars I can only dream about. But darn, they do sound good.

Lamborghini Countach. Jebus what a sound! Best looking Lambo ever built IMHO, Diablo and so forth arent even nearly as good looking as Countach.
YouTube - Lamborghini Countach LP500S

Plymouth Duster dragster with side exhaust pipes. My god...! I want one badly! Street legally modded of course.
YouTube - '72 Plymouth Duster Burn

Hot/Rat Rod with Hemi. What an intake and no exhaust mufflers? Listening when he steps on it gives me goosebumps.
YouTube - Hot Rod V8 Great Sound

And Hemi Cuda on drag strip.
YouTube - Hemi Cuda In Quarter Mile

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #25 of 101
Open water jacket, single-cylinder, felt carburetor(gasoline), constant speed, Flyball-governed drill press motor, to drill four-inch holes in fenceposts, in use at an Amish County Fair, must have been about ten liters displacement.....chuf, chuf, BANG, chuf,BANG, chuf, chuf, BANG,BANG,BANG - about 80-90RPM... this was in about 1960 - I was Eight.

MV Agusta V-8 @ Isle of Man, echoing forever as it pulled up the long straight, going away - near instantaneous shifts, doing over eight thousand RPM, in about 1963...

The NOVI, at Indy, 1963, just WAILING!!!!

Sparks, Nevada, Air Races, the ripping silk of a P-51's Rolls-Royce Merlin at speed, going overhead a Pylon, WFO!!

1970, I was being rushed to go NAVY, The guys at the local Base in Panama City Florida gave me a ride in an Old Minesweeper, twin aluminum Packard V-16s, full throttle...

But I guess the one that gives me goosebumps most often is the sound of an Outlaw Sprint Car, wound up real tight and coming right at me - every weekend I can get to the track up here in Washington.

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #27 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Carrera GT has a V10.

i know...i was in the middle of writing a paper when i checked and my brain was pure mush. now i sound foolish and uneducated

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #29 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old American, tuned V8 engines. Nothing sounds as good as RAW, bassy rumble and earsplitting ROAR of bass and searing treble when revved up. Dunno why but US V8 has always sounded better than EU ones.

Plymouth Duster dragster with side exhaust pipes. My god...! I want one badly! Street legally modded of course.
YouTube - '72 Plymouth Duster Burn

Hot/Rat Rod with Hemi. What an intake and no exhaust mufflers? Listening when he steps on it gives me goosebumps.
YouTube - Hot Rod V8 Great Sound

Leave it to metal heads to have the same taste in car sounds! Ya as far as car sounds go, you can't beat a meaty north american v8!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back