Best desktop amp for MS-PRO: Solid State or Tubes
Mar 30, 2010 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TTEO22

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is my first post. I currently own a MS-PRO which is used with the RSA SR-71A (portable). Using the benchmark dac1 pre as DAC. Prefer the sound with the SR-71A compared with the HPA2 headphone from benchmark. Warm and more pleasant.

If I were to 'upgrade' from the SR-71A to a desktop amp with a dedicated power supply, what are the options to pair with the MS-PRO, solid state or tubes? Understand that the SR-71A is a dual mono portable amp. Cost is less of an issue. Please suggest some options I can explore.

Many thanks,
Tim

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if cost is no issue, look for a Melos SHA-Gold or Maestro.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Where can I buy the Melos? I am live in Asia. Pretty new here.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi TTEO22, the Melos was discontinued some time ago as far as I know, and hence only available second-hand.

Hi Leny,

I am more interested in brand new desktop amps. Any good suggestions?

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my desktop setup with MS-Pros I use a SOHAII, it is a fairly similar design to the Melos and has great synergy with the MS-Pros.

May I know where I can buy them? I live in Asia. It is a DIY amp? Thks.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TTEO22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I know where I can buy them? I live in Asia. It is a DIY amp? Thks.

it is a DIY amp, if you know how to solder you can buy a kit. Otherwise they show up on the for sale forum frequently. The SOHAII is an excellent Grado amp. Mr Grado actually uses the Melos to design/tune his headphones and the SOHAII is better in some ways, biggest difference is it uses a BJT ouput rather than a mofset but the advantage it there are no large caps on the output. Other than that the overall topology is similar only you have a much more reliable potentiometer with the SOHAII and have a support system if it should ever break. I use it on my small laptop setup because it is a rather small amp (about 6"x10".)

The other option is the Little Dot I Hybrid , not as good as the SOHAII or Melos but still has the hybrid output stage which helps with Grados, however it is an opamp.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 24
I'd also recommend a Woo Audio 6 if you want to go with tubes; it works very nicely with Grados and you have different options of tubes to tune the gain and sound signature to your phones.

If you want to go hybrid, you can also try a Millet MiniMax, which you can buy at Whiplash Audio. Similar in concept to the SOHAII, it is compact, sweet toned and with power to spare; it also offers three options of tubes to tune the gain/sound to your liking.

One that I have not listened to, but that was originally designed with Grado headphones in mind by Dr. Kevin Gilmore, is the Sheer Audio HA-006+

cheers!

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 24
Two Solid State options for your setup would be the Heed Audio CanAmp or Eddie Current EC/SS.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 24
Don't forget the MAD EAR+ HD... everyone raves about it with Grados!

That would be my choice... "hands down"... since the Melos are very old and no longer available! You don't want something you're going to have to spend more money maintaining than buying / using. The MAD is typically rated second only to the Melos with Grados.

Also... the MF X-CAN v8 is great with low impedance phones - one of the best!

On the other hand... if you don't want to invest a lot... the Grado HA-1 is... GREAT... with Grados - though, I'd get the AC version to avoid the battery hassle.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also recommend a Woo Audio 6 if you want to go with tubes; it works very nicely with Grados and you have different options of tubes to tune the gain and sound signature to your phones.

If you want to go hybrid, you can also try a Millet MiniMax, which you can buy at Whiplash Audio. Similar in concept to the SOHAII, it is compact, sweet toned and with power to spare; it also offers three options of tubes to tune the gain/sound to your liking.

One that I have not listened to, but that was originally designed with Grado headphones in mind by Dr. Kevin Gilmore, is the Sheer Audio HA-006+

cheers!

Hi, what are the advantages of having a hybrid amp?

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Well, that's one of those questions that would elicit a thousand different responses. I wouldn't really call them 'advantages', but rather 'traits' or 'characteristics'. For me they could be summed up in:

1) Hybrids have some of the sound signature of tubes with the tight control, power output and low output impedance of transistors.

2) More compact and lightweight than all-tube amps, since there are no big, bulky output transformers or big rectifier or power tubes.

3) Still allow certain level of customization of the sound via 'tube rolling'

4) Less power hungry than all-tube amps

6) They look cool because they glow in the dark
smily_headphones1.gif

It's really about what you want, I use my Grado 'phones with an all-tube amp, a couple of hybrids and a couple of op-amp based amplifiers and they sound delightful with all; they all sound different but all enjoyable and delightful in their own right.

cheers!

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

The low impedance of Grados make them tough for non hybrid tube amps to drive due to current demands and output impedance, this is why Grado uses the Hybrid Melos to engineer their headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back