Best dedicated desktop amplifier for a DT990 used primarly for gaming?
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sabin0786

New Head-Fier
For my computer audio I've been using a Creative X-FI Titanium Edition, Berrydynamic DT990's 350ohmz, and a Fios E11 Portable Amp. I'm getting annoyed changing out the batteries to the portable AMP so often, so I would like to switch to a dedicated desktop amp. Additionally, I figure a better amp will drive the headphones better, and make them sound better as well. My price range is 150-200 dollars maximum.

I used my headphones for gaming only and nothing else, so I prioritize anything that makes the ambiance better. Louder, sharper, crisper, boomer sound effects are what I desire if possible. Can anyone make some recommendations for a dedicated amp to best drive my headphones for the desired type of sound I seek? The who recommended me my current set-up suggested this amplifier: http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=o2full. It mentions that any talk about it is banned on head-fi, so I don't want to start any arguments, but I thought I would throw it out there, that I am considering getting that one.

Two questions:
1. Will I actually hear any difference when switching amps? Does the E11 already drive the DT990's to their maximum potential? Even if that's true switching to something that doesn't require batteries would be worth it in my mind.

2. Since I already have a X-Fi Titanium should I avoid any amplifier that has it's own DAC? Will that interfere with the DAC built into the sound card? I want to be able to continue to use the 3D positional audio that the creative sound card provides.

Thanks

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a friend with the E11, and it is a bit noisy. I am using a C421 with a DT990 this moment on my laptop at home, fed by HRT MS II. This amp works pretty well with the Beyers. No go with the HE500's, but doe drive the 990's, loud and clear. No need for gain or bass boost. It's dead quiet even when the battery is on its last legs.

Mainly I have used the C421 to run off an iMod, and drive IEM's, but not traveling much lately so giving it a shot with cans. Very curious to see how it handles the T1 that is incoming next week. Just for kicks, I tried the combo on Borderlands 2, I think it's very good for gaming.

KP

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a friend with the E11, and it is a bit noisy. I am using a C421 with a DT990 this moment on my laptop at home, fed by HRT MS II. This amp works pretty well with the Beyers. No go with the HE500's, but doe drive the 990's, loud and clear. No need for gain or bass boost. It's dead quiet even when the battery is on its last legs.

Mainly I have used the C421 to run off an iMod, and drive IEM's, but not traveling much lately so giving it a shot with cans. Very curious to see how it handles the T1 that is incoming next week. Just for kicks, I tried the combo on Borderlands 2, I think it's very good for gaming.

KP

What is the difference between the Objective2 and the C421? I see they are made by the same company and the C421 is slightly more expensive. Also what do you mean by the E11 is "noisy". I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with them. Do you think I will hear a sound quality difference between the Objective/C421 vs. the E11?

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 5
When used as a portable, the E11 hisses. Not sure if it will be audible in al HP's. It is with IEM's.

I limited my comments to what I have experience with. Since you don't need a portable, but rather can use a desktop amp in your setup, there are a lot more options (you made that clear in your post, I am sorry I missed it, simply locked into the mention of the E11). You may want to search this forum for one that provides a good paring with the DT990's. The only I have experience with on that front is the V200 which drives them easily, as it does the HE500's.

Regarding the C421 vs O2, I asked a similar question:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643435/review-jds-labs-o2-black-edition#post_9002402

KP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back