best dark hd650 cable?
Dec 2, 2004 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Annihilator

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using the stock cable on my hd650s and thinking of getting something better. However I don't want any cables that makes the sound brighter, which is why I wouldn't want to get something like the Zu Mobius. Is there a good dark cable for my hd650s that would be better than stock? or should I just stick with what I have?

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 25
Budget: $60 Oehlbach (I thought it made a nice improvement without changing the stock sound signature)

Pricey: $150+ Cardas/Equinox/Moon Audio Blue Dragon (no experience myself, I'm sure others can chime in)

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 25
I have over the last few years bought all of the Senheiser cables - Clou Red and Blue, Cardas Mk 1 and Mk 2, Oehlbach, Equinox, Zu Mobius, Blue Dragon and Silver Dragon - and will post detailed reviews soon. The best "dark" cable is the Blue Dragon.

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 25
Ross, I saw in your post that you have tried all the 650 cables and are going to post a review. I look forward to seeing your review, but I am getting ready to buy a cable now and would really appreciate your thoughts on one question now since I won't be able to wait for your review before deciding what to buy. I want to get a cable that opens up the top end and adds overall snap and crispness, to move the 650 a bit towards the Grado sound (not all the way, of course, but part of the way). I'm especially looking for top end and upper mid crispness and clarity. From what I've read, both the SD and the Zu provide this, but probably moreso with the SD. I've also read, though, that the Zu gives a better overall presentation. Is this true? How would you quantify the difference in treble presentation and overall snap and cripsness between the Zu and the SD? In other words, on a scale of 1 to 10, if the SD gives an increase of "10" what would you say the Zu gives? Also, which would you say is the better overall cable, and why? I really appreciate your input, and I hope I don't inconvenience you to ask you this before you've had a chance to post your review. It's just that I really need this information very soon so that I can make the best purchase now. If it's more convenient and you'd prefer not to post any info here until your review is complete, then perhaps you could email me with your thoughts about this to idol@bellsouth.net. Thanks so much, and thank you in advance for your thoughts.
-RAI

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

I thought the zu made the 650s a little darker over the stock cable...

The Zu is bright, as bright as bright can be. I will say more when I get around to posting my complete review.

RAI, I've sent you an email.

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 25
IMO zu mobius is not bright, at least not as bright as the headphile cable...well i have never tried any copper based replacement cables so i don't know how 'bright' is 'bright'.

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 25
I thought the Cardas was copper-based, which might be a better option for you than a silver-based cable, being slightly warmer. I have no complaints with my Cardas. It's the only one I've tried to date but I would not be without it.

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 25
EDIT: oops, i misread.
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross
The Zu is bright, as bright as bright can be.

That's not how I hear it. The Silver Dragon is bright; the Zu Mobius is extended, but very well balanced.

peacesign.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 25
Dec 3, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 25
the only cables i had a chance to compare were stock hd-650, gepco copper DIY, headphile silver and silver dragon.

the stock cable was very polite sounding with least harshness in the highs, but too boring compared to the others. the gepco cable had 'wamrth' written all over it, maybe a tad bit TOO warm. the sound was not as clean as the silver counterparts. i couldnt really get used to silver dragon, some noticeable sibilance and not very musical to my ears. headphile silver is the one i ended up staying with, best overall out of afformentioned four. zu mobius is on my wishlist, i hope it lives up to the hype
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back